Windows 10: Build 10166 Shares still problem with NON Ms accounts

Discus and support Build 10166 Shares still problem with NON Ms accounts in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi there I can see shares between machines that are both logged on with Ms accounts, but if I have say 4 machines, 2 of which have local accounts... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by jimbo45, Jul 9, 2015.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Build 10166 Shares still problem with NON Ms accounts

Hi there

I can see shares between machines that are both logged on with Ms accounts, but if I have say 4 machines, 2 of which have local accounts and 2 logged on with Ms accounts - I can't access the LOCAL account shares from the machines logged on with Ms accounts and I can't access the MS account shares from the Local account.

The problem I think arises if you go into properties on a volume and choose SHARE you can't add your LOCAL account name to the Share if you are on the Ms account machine so the share will pick up the WRONG user name and won't let you access the machine.

There probably is a better technical explanation --I'm not a Network person - all I want to do is simply ensure Shares all work on my local LAN whether or not I use an Ms Account or a Local one.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Jul 9, 2015

2. Nokia account setup

I know Nokia account is discontinued.

Why are the settings still there & the MS store wants to download the nokia account app.

I want to remove the settings & stop the app from showing up in downloads.

build 10166

Smartineau1, Jul 9, 2015
  3. WI10 Previiew Build 10158

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10 Insider Preview.

We have a new build for PCs to Windows Insiders in the Fast ring – Build 10166. Just like the 3 builds, this build is all about bug fixing and fit-and-finish. Be sure to keep using the Windows Feedback app to send us feedback
    on any problems you’re hitting to help us make sure Windows 10 is awesome when we release it on July 29th!

Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 10166

Please share your observations on the new build through the feedback app.

Anish A Kumar, Jul 9, 2015
  4. Mystere Win User

Have you tried using the local account name?

Mystere, Jul 9, 2015
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

If I try and add the local account name to the shares from the machine I'm logged on to with the Ms account -- it won't Add. Somehow it thinks the Local account and the Ms accounts are the same although the logon names are different.

It's a real dogs dinner of a mess.

I can have ALL local or ALL ms accounts (I mean I can be logged on with All ms accounts or all Local accounts) but a mix screws the system up horribly. The Linux server also will only connect to the NON ms account machines -- I need that machine as it's my Multi-media server (amongst other things).

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jul 9, 2015
  6. besb Win User
    A similar problem with NAS shares and pins. In 10166 and started in 10162.
    Log on with local account all nas shares immediately found.
    Log on with MS account using a pin - nas shares do not show up.
    Revert to MS account with full password (pain) - all nas shares immediately found.

Pin problem can be replicated.

besb, Jul 9, 2015
  7. besb Win User
    Jimbo- suggestion
    All my shares were set up with a local account originally.
    If you set up the shares using a local account but give them different names i.e msshare1 or share1
    if they contain different files.
    then log on with either a local account or ms account with full password you should see both.
    Log on with pin fails to find any nas shares as in my previous post.
    give each share a different password if you wish to restrict system 1 to msshare1 and system 2 to share1 etc

besb, Jul 9, 2015
  8. deebs Win User

I hope they fix this mess, it took me a while before I figured out why I suddenly couldn´t access shares when I upgraded to 10162 and it "enforced" a microsoft account if you wanted to continue recieving new insider updates.

Would be even better if they remade the network sharing part and got rid of all the problems it currently produces. While the homegroup sharing is good in its way, its also pretty limited aswell..

deebs, Jul 10, 2015
  9. Ztruker Win User
    I have 3 computers.

1. Lenovo K450 running Windows 8.1 Pro X64 - named Desktop, use local account though MS account is setup
    2. HP Workstation xw4400 running Windows 7 Pro X64 - named Webserver, on local account
    3. Toshiba laptop A305-S6872 running Windows 10 Pro X64 10166 - named Laptop, MS account.

From Desktop I can see usually self and Webserver, Occasionally I can see all 3
    From Webserver I can always see all 3
    From Laptop I can usually see Webserver and Self, Occasionally I can see all 3

Ztruker, Jul 10, 2015
  10. pfield69 Win User
    I have the same problem.
    10166 add pin no network shares
    remove pin network shares.
    If I logon with password with or without pin shares are available.
    All local users see shares.
    Fingerprint (which needs pin to work) doesn't see shares.

With pin all local device storage is invisible.

Is there a cure??

pfield69, Jul 13, 2015
  11. linw Win User
    As stated elsewhere, I also have some sharing problems/inconsistencies.

Pretty strange that networking/sharing isn't sewn up by now. Wonder if the security 'thing' is what is messing with this? Seems like it on my network.

Fingers crossed that RTM sorts it out but I'm not feeling super optimistic.

Thema:

1. Build 10166 Shares still problem with NON Ms accounts - Similar Threads - Build 10166 Shares

2. UXStyle v 0.2.4.2 on Build 10166

in Windows 10 Customization
    UXStyle v 0.2.4.2 on Build 10166: Hi everyone Has anyone had this problem installing UXStyle Community Edition version 0.2.4.2 on Windows 10166? When I click on the INSTALL button I get the message "Uh, oh, something went wrong" There is a link to a log file. See picture and log file attached. [img]...
  3. Unable to upgrade to Build 10166

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Unable to upgrade to Build 10166: I've had no problems upgrading to newer builds until now. The upgrade from Build 10162 to Build 10166 stops at 95% on the final install screen 82% on configuring settings, then goes back to Build 10162 when I restart. Any ideas? *Confused 8169
  4. Build 10162 will not update to 10166

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Build 10162 will not update to 10166: I had the same problem with build 10130 not updating to 10162. I had to upgrade with the preview iso. Running it in Oracle VM VirtualBox What is going on? 8035
  5. sound blaster in build 10166

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    sound blaster in build 10166: I can not get my sound blaster x-fi titanium pci express sound card to give me sound through the right channels even though Ive uninstalled the support pack for 5.1 surround audio that was compiled from another sb user that did work in the last build; and then reinstalled it....
  6. Build 10240 Networking STILL BONKERS with Ms accounts

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Build 10240 Networking STILL BONKERS with Ms accounts: Hi there I have a really SILLY problem now on build 10240 two computers with Ms accounts -- One Disk NOT shared (deliberately) -- however it is accessible (both READ and WRITE) from another Machine (logged on with Ms account). In properties the Disk shows as NON shared...
  7. Build 10166 dvd drive and virtual drive

Build 10166 dvd drive and virtual drive: Hello i updated to this build ( which is really stable BTW). I tried to mount an iso but it didnt mount. Then tried with daemon tools but still no luck. I went to device manager and it shows a yellow caution mark beside my dvd drive and the virtual drives so i tried to...
  8. build 10166 device manager

build 10166 device manager: Have a look at the new mmc snap-in manager, right click view customise NICE Roy 8023
  9. Stuck on Build 10166 Windows Update not giving newer builds

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Stuck on Build 10166 Windows Update not giving newer builds: Hello everyone, For a few weeks I'm already stuck in Build 10166 of the Windows Insider program, Microsoft said that insiders would receive the launch version before public but I still haven't received an update to the final version yet. However non insiders already have...
  10. Not seeing build 10240 from build 10166

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Not seeing build 10240 from build 10166: I am currently running Windows 10 Build 10166 (Canada/French version x64 - Core). It was an upgradfe from build 10162. I have tried to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter, rebooted many times, went from Fast to Slow (and then Slow to Fast) ring. Still no updates at...