Windows 10: Build 14366 BSODs and Reset - Advice Appreciated

Discus and support Build 14366 BSODs and Reset - Advice Appreciated in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Slow Ring member updated to Build 14366 yesterday with no issues (initially) Tested apps, etc, all ran normally. Post-Install ran complete scans with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Doverboy, Jun 17, 2016.

1. Doverboy Win User

Build 14366 BSODs and Reset - Advice Appreciated

Slow Ring member updated to Build 14366 yesterday with no issues (initially)
    Tested apps, etc, all ran normally.
    Post-Install ran complete scans with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free and Defender, both scans reported clean
    Post_Install ran sfc /scannow, clean report
    Stressed with Prime95 Blend 2 Hours, clean
    Everything was working normally

Last action last night was activating Dropbox, been uploading album collection, 30k+ files, about halfway through, 15k remain to sync, will take better part of month to complete 250GB upload at 800Kbps upload speed. I set it to use full bandwidth each night before bed.

I did not think to check the Power Settings last night. Normally just turn off monitors, leaving PC operational throughout night, no sleep mode, etc. I'm thinking the error may have occurred when it tried to Sleep or Shut Down while full upload bandwidth was being used by Dropbox, just a guess.

This morning greeted with BSOD, BSOD on screen 2 was actually pixelated, new encounter for me.

Attempted normal restart - fail
    Booted into Bios, reset default settings, attempted normal reboot - fail
    Rebooted again, W10 loaded, but with problems, missing background, could not identify Wireless Adapter, then another BSOD
    Used W10 Recovery Disk to repair startup - fail
    Booted into W10, still messed up, attempted Refresh - fail

Decided to Reset W10, keeping files but losing settings and installed apps. Successful operation.

Now running Build 14342.rs1_release.160506-1708 without issues. Successful sfc /scannow and P95 stress.

Like a dummy, I stopped creating automatic restore points (already have one for current state)

My windows.old folder on my OS drive appears intact, the one created prior to Build 14366 update.

I'd like to try to revert to that installation, hoping my apps and settings will still be in place. However, I'm a little concerned given today's problems.

Objective: Use refresh/reset/restore/rollback to reinstall everything from windows.old created yesterday prior to 14366 update. Avoid having to reinstall apps and settings.

I believe there is little risk as I now have (I think) a stable OS with a restore point to come back to if it goes sideways. However, before I attempt I thought I'd solicit some feedback.

Thanks!

DB

I have now added the Debug zip attachment. Thanks!

:)

Doverboy, Jun 17, 2016
  2. Srimadhwa B, Jun 17, 2016
  3. chsu83 Win User
    Windows 10 MEMORY_MANAGEMENT only after 14328 update

Seems to be the same with Build 14366. I'm verifiying it now.

chsu83, Jun 17, 2016
  4. Doverboy Win User

Upon closer inspection, I now see the windows.old folder is not the version from yesterday prior to the build update, but rather it was created this morning during the reset process. Live and learn...

Doverboy, Jun 17, 2016
  5. axe0 New Member
    Hi Doverboy,

Unfortunately the zip is pretty much useless for debugging, the reason is that there is no log or something about a BSOD.

If the Windows.Old folder has minidumps located in \Windows\Minidump then we would like to see them, you can zip them up and upload them.
    How to upload files

6. Doverboy Win User
    Thank-you, Axe. Yes, the dump files are indeed useless in this case. I had originally posted in a different section, but an admin moved it to BSODs. I wasn't actually looking for help on that issue (though would have welcomed and been useful I'm sure). Rather, I was trying to learn whether there might be a workaround to return to my pre-14366 state without restore points, images, etc.

Good lesson for me to learn (again). I became complacent with W10 as this is the first major issue I've had since upgrading in October.

I completed a fresh install and only lost apps and settings, no files. Last night I reinstalled everything and straightened out the settings. Then I created restore points, backed up and created an image.

This morning 14366 was waiting for me again. The update ran smoothly and I stressed the rig. Then I created new restore point, backup and image. Yes, I am being more careful.

All well so far, no crashes or weirdness. Should everything go sideways again, I have the tools in place to avoid having to reinstall apps and tweak settings.

Thanks for responding!

Doverboy, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Build 14366 BSODs and Reset - Advice Appreciated - Similar Threads - Build 14366 BSODs

2. Hi - would appreciate any help or advice. Lot of shut downs and BSOD when browsing internet.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hi - would appreciate any help or advice. Lot of shut downs and BSOD when browsing internet.: Lot of recent shut downs and BSODs when browsing internet.Tried different browsers, sfc, dism, stopped vpn, removed/reinstall all network drivers, used ethernet, used wifi but unable identify cause of BSODsAny help would be appreciatedMicrosoft R Windows Debugger Version...
  3. Hi - would appreciate any help or advice. Lot of shut downs and BSOD when browsing internet.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hi - would appreciate any help or advice. Lot of shut downs and BSOD when browsing internet.: Lot of recent shut downs and BSODs when browsing internet.Tried different browsers, sfc, dism, stopped vpn, removed/reinstall all network drivers, used ethernet, used wifi but unable identify cause of BSODsAny help would be appreciatedMicrosoft R Windows Debugger Version...
  4. An experience of upgrading to 20H2 - comments/advice appreciated

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    An experience of upgrading to 20H2 - comments/advice appreciated: Hi, having just upgraded from 1903 to 20H2, I've quickly noted a few oddities, so any helpful comments from those who've trodden this path will be appreciated- thanks! I stayed with 1903 for ages, deftly avoiding all the caffufle about Windows search in early 1909 builds....
  5. Constant BSOD, any help or advice would be appreciated

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Constant BSOD, any help or advice would be appreciated: Recently, I've encountered multiple blue screen crashes on my PC as well as random all of a sudden freezes that usually occur when I play a game like Warzone or Valorant. Some of the blue screen error codes I've had included unexpected kernal mode trap, cdd.ll, dxgmms2.sys,...
  6. Regular BSODs ever since building PC. Any help greatly appreciated

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Regular BSODs ever since building PC. Any help greatly appreciated: Hi all, Ive been having very frequent BSODs since I rebuilt my PC around Sep 19. Ive never been able to get to the bottom of it and it only seems to be getting worse. It often happens when the PC is idle but can also happen when using it. I have tried many of the usual...
  7. New-build gaming PC blue screens BSOD - Advice appreciated.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    New-build gaming PC blue screens BSOD - Advice appreciated.: Hi, Thank you for taking the time to read my post. I recently built a new gaming PC but unfortunately it has suffered from blue screen problems while gaming since day one. The most frequent error codes I get are IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL and SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION with the...
  8. Building a cloud and need advice.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Building a cloud and need advice.: I'm finally position where I can begin to upgrade my network and computers. I'd like to start with a good solid secure router where I can add 1-3 external drives for the purpose of building my own cloud and secure place to store my backup files as well. I understand the...
  9. Windows 10 Anniversary SDK Preview Build 14366 Released

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 Anniversary SDK Preview Build 14366 Released: Windows 10 Anniversary SDK Preview Build 14366 Released Today, we released a new Windows 10 Anniversary SDK Preview to be used in conjunction with Windows 10 Insider Preview (Build 14366 or greater). The Preview SDK is a pre-release and cannot be used in a production...
  10. Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14366 & Mobile Build 14364

in Windows 10 News
    Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14366 & Mobile Build 14364: UPDATE: Tweet — Twitter API (@user) date[/quote] Hello Windows Insiders! WOW, what a week. You all were on fire last week with the all of the feedback for the double dose of PC + Mobile. I also appreciated you sharing your career/business goals with me this...