Windows 10: Build 1607 kills ethernet with wrong driver, fixed but how to keep?

Discus and support Build 1607 kills ethernet with wrong driver, fixed but how to keep? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Windows Update to Build 1607 (Pro) installs a newer ethernet driver (but with an older version number??) which doesn't work. Driver roll back option in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by NikolaiDante, Feb 12, 2017.

1. Build 1607 kills ethernet with wrong driver, fixed but how to keep?

Windows Update to Build 1607 (Pro) installs a newer ethernet driver (but with an older version number??) which doesn't work. Driver roll back option in Device Manager is then greyed out. If I unwind the 1607 update the driver roll back option is then available, and the ethernet works after rolling back the driver.

I've been searching here and online for options, firstly for stopping Windows updating the driver (there doesn't seem to be one, certainly not as a command in my Update settings), and secondly for backing up and copying drivers. But I don't want to be having to re-install the driver from a backup every time I turn the computer on.

Two questions; first, is it possible to stop Windows updating to the non-working driver?

Second, I don't understand the driver backup. I used the command prompt method in Tutorials here. In the new 'Drivers' backup folder there are two folders with the driver name in the folder name, but they both contain the same ('wrong') version of the driver, according to the Version number, albeit with different creation dates (which don't match details in Device Manager, which adds to my confusion). In System 32\Drivers the working driver appears on its own, with the later version number. If Windows updates to 1607 again, I know I can point it to the backup folder to find the driver, but how do I know which is the correct one so I can delete the other? Or can I manually copy the working .sys file from System 32\Drivers, save it somewhere and point Windows to that, or copy it back over? Thanks.

Edit to add: this machine is not the one in my profile, it's an old HP Compaq, I'll post spec if needed. The Ethernet device is a 'Broadcom 590x 10/100 Ethernet'.

:)

NikolaiDante, Feb 12, 2017
  2. BharathKM Win User

WINDOWS 10 1607 build

• USB driver for Android phone is not detected by Windows 10 1607 build . How to fix it ? It worked properly on 1511 build.

BharathKM, Feb 12, 2017
  3. Will Windows fix their update feature for drivers?

The Anniversary update killed my Ethernet & printer, currently trying to do another update to fix these issues but Windows seemed to have installed last years driver again.

Walktowardsmydestiny, Feb 12, 2017
  4. Build 1607 kills ethernet with wrong driver, fixed but how to keep?

Re: driver updates, see How to temporarily prevent a driver update from reinstalling in Windows 10

Each driver is defined by its "driver package". The driver package is the set of driver files that set up and implement the h/w interface. Every driver has an INF file in its package. The driver INF tells Windows:
    • List of devices the driver supports
    • List of files in the driver package and their destination directory when the driver is installed
    • Registry modifications and new service definitions needed when the driver is installed

That means you shouldn't try copying individual files by hand to install a driver (like .sys files). Let Windows do the job for you as there may be many different files and changes required to install the driver.

When you look in Device Manager, the driver date and version number you see is the info found in the driver INF file. When Windows installs 3rd party drivers, it renames the Original driver INF filename to oemxx.inf (where xx whatever number sequence Windows wants to choose next). This is called the "Published filename". To understand the currently installed driver you need to know the Original driver filename and version number. To get the Original filename
    • In device manager, right click the device->Properties->Details tab. Select Inf name from the pull down menu. It displays oem published filename. Jot it down
    • From an admin command prompt type dism /online /get-drivers to find the Original INF filename for the published name.

/* EDIT start */
    When you do a driver backup, the folder name includes the Original filename. The folder contains the driver package.
    /* EDIT end */

Example output below
    Code: C:\WINDOWS\system32>dism /online /get-drivers Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool Version: 10.0.14393.0 Image Version: 10.0.14393.0 Obtaining list of 3rd party drivers from the driver store... Driver packages listing: Published Name : oem0.inf Original File Name : ipcdless.inf Inbox : No Class Name : HIDClass Provider Name : Microsoft Date : 12/12/2013 Version : 9.5.172.0 Published Name : oem1.inf Original File Name : netrtwlanu.inf Inbox : No Class Name : Net Provider Name : NETGEAR Inc. Date : 12/10/2015 Version : 1030.3.831.2015 Published Name : oem10.inf Original File Name : ssudbus.inf Inbox : No Class Name : USB Provider Name : SAMSUNG Electronics Co., Ltd. Date : 7/4/2016 Version : 2.12.3.0 Published Name : oem11.inf Original File Name : hpvpl09.inf Inbox : No Class Name : Printer Provider Name : HP Date : 9/6/2012 Version : 9.84.0.1189 Published Name : oem12.inf Original File Name : e_jf1kde.inf Inbox : No Class Name : Printer Provider Name : EPSON Date : 7/22/2015 Version : 2.32.0.0 Published Name : oem14.inf Original File Name : ssudmdm.inf Inbox : No Class Name : Modem Provider Name : SAMSUNG Electronics Co., Ltd. Date : 7/4/2016 Version : 2.12.3.0 Published Name : oem15.inf Original File Name : hpwia_oj6700.inf Inbox : No Class Name : Image Provider Name : Hewlett-Packard Date : 7/19/2011 Version : 26.0.0.0 Published Name : oem16.inf Original File Name : e1k6332.inf Inbox : No Class Name : Net Provider Name : Intel Date : 7/12/2012 Version : 12.1.77.0 Published Name : oem17.inf Original File Name : ssudsdb.inf Inbox : No Class Name : USB Provider Name : SAMSUNG Electronics Co., Ltd. Date : 12/2/2015 Version : 2.12.1.0 Published Name : oem18.inf Original File Name : hpoj6700_fax.inf Inbox : No Class Name : Printer Provider Name : HP Date : 6/13/2012 Version : 3.0.0.0 Published Name : oem19.inf Original File Name : ss_conn_usb_driver.inf Inbox : No Class Name : USB Provider Name : SAMSUNG Electronics Co., Ltd. Date : 12/2/2015 Version : 2.12.1.0 Published Name : oem2.inf Original File Name : intcdaud.inf Inbox : No Class Name : MEDIA Provider Name : Intel(R) Corporation Date : 1/8/2010 Version : 6.12.0.3041 Published Name : oem20.inf Original File Name : ssudadb.inf Inbox : No Class Name : AndroidUsbDeviceClass Provider Name : SAMSUNG Electronics Co., Ltd. Date : 12/2/2015 Version : 2.12.1.0 Published Name : oem21.inf Original File Name : iaahci.inf Inbox : No Class Name : hdc Provider Name : Intel Date : 3/3/2010 Version : 9.6.0.1014 Published Name : oem22.inf Original File Name : dc3du.inf Inbox : No Class Name : USB Provider Name : Microsoft Date : 12/12/2013 Version : 9.5.172.0 Published Name : oem23.inf Original File Name : gkupro2d.inf Inbox : No Class Name : SmartCardReader Provider Name : Dell Date : 8/31/2009 Version : 4.0.8.5 Published Name : oem24.inf Original File Name : r6200v2.inf Inbox : No Class Name : Network Infrastructure Devices Provider Name : NETGEAR Date : 8/2/2013 Version : 1.0.1.16 Published Name : oem25.inf Original File Name : igdlh.inf Inbox : No Class Name : Display Provider Name : Intel Corporation Date : 3/11/2013 Version : 8.15.10.2702 Published Name : oem26.inf Original File Name : e1911.inf Inbox : No Class Name : Monitor Provider Name : Dell Inc. Date : 6/10/2010 Version : 1.0.0.0 Published Name : oem27.inf Original File Name : del200fx.inf Inbox : No Class Name : Modem Provider Name : Conexant Date : 5/5/2009 Version : 7.80.4.0 Published Name : oem28.inf Original File Name : heci.inf Inbox : No Class Name : System Provider Name : Intel Date : 6/23/2009 Version : 5.2.0.1008 Published Name : oem29.inf Original File Name : usb_ant_siusbxp_3_1.inf Inbox : No Class Name : USB Provider Name : Silicon Labs Software Date : 2/6/2007 Version : 3.1.0.0 Published Name : oem3.inf Original File Name : bcmwl6.inf Inbox : No Class Name : Net Provider Name : Broadcom Date : 7/7/2009 Version : 5.30.21.0 Published Name : oem31.inf Original File Name : esef.inf Inbox : No Class Name : Image Provider Name : EPSON Date : 2/21/2013 Version : 1.0.0.0 Published Name : oem32.inf Original File Name : tcm.inf Inbox : No Class Name : System Provider Name : ZTEIC DESIGN CO.,LTD Date : 5/4/2009 Version : 2.1.5.4 Published Name : oem33.inf Original File Name : usbaapl.inf Inbox : No Class Name : USB Provider Name : Apple, Inc. Date : 5/18/2015 Version : 6.0.9999.67 Published Name : oem35.inf Original File Name : ssudnd5.inf Inbox : No Class Name : Net Provider Name : SAMSUNG Electronics Co., Ltd. Date : 1/2/2014 Version : 2.11.7.0 Published Name : oem36.inf Original File Name : ssudobex.inf Inbox : No Class Name : Ports Provider Name : SAMSUNG Electronics Co., Ltd. Date : 1/2/2014 Version : 2.11.7.0 Published Name : oem37.inf Original File Name : ssudcdf.inf Inbox : No Class Name : USB Provider Name : SAMSUNG Electronics Co., Ltd. Date : 1/2/2014 Version : 2.11.7.0 Published Name : oem38.inf Original File Name : ssudmtp.inf Inbox : No Class Name : WPD Provider Name : SAMSUNG Electronics Co., Ltd. Date : 1/2/2014 Version : 2.11.7.0 Published Name : oem4.inf Original File Name : mesrl.inf Inbox : No Class Name : Ports Provider Name : Intel Date : 7/6/2009 Version : 5.5.1.1012 Published Name : oem40.inf Original File Name : ssudeadb.inf Inbox : No Class Name : USB Provider Name : SAMSUNG Electronics Co., Ltd. Date : 1/2/2014 Version : 2.11.7.0 Published Name : oem42.inf Original File Name : ssudadb.inf Inbox : No Class Name : AndroidUsbDeviceClass Provider Name : SAMSUNG Electronics Co., Ltd. Date : 1/2/2014 Version : 2.11.7.0 Published Name : oem44.inf Original File Name : ssudrnds.inf Inbox : No Class Name : Net Provider Name : SAMSUNG Electronics Co., Ltd. Date : 1/2/2014 Version : 2.11.7.0 Published Name : oem47.inf Original File Name : ssuddmgr.inf Inbox : No Class Name : Ports Provider Name : SAMSUNG Electronics Co., Ltd. Date : 1/2/2014 Version : 2.11.7.0 Published Name : oem48.inf Original File Name : ssudrmnet.inf Inbox : No Class Name : USB Provider Name : SAMSUNG Electronics Co., Ltd. Date : 1/2/2014 Version : 2.11.7.0 Published Name : oem49.inf Original File Name : ssudmarv.inf Inbox : No Class Name : USB Provider Name : SAMSUNG Electronics Co., Ltd. Date : 1/2/2014 Version : 2.11.7.0 Published Name : oem5.inf Original File Name : unifhid.inf Inbox : No Class Name : HIDClass Provider Name : Logitech Date : 9/9/2016 Version : 1.10.78.0 Published Name : oem52.inf Original File Name : ssudrmnetmp.inf Inbox : No Class Name : Net Provider Name : SAMSUNG Electronics Co., Ltd. Date : 1/2/2014 Version : 2.11.7.0 Published Name : oem53.inf Original File Name : ssudserd.inf Inbox : No Class Name : Ports Provider Name : SAMSUNG Electronics Co., Ltd. Date : 1/2/2014 Version : 2.11.7.0 Published Name : oem55.inf Original File Name : ssudadb.inf Inbox : No Class Name : AndroidUsbDeviceClass Provider Name : SAMSUNG Electronics Co., Ltd. Date : 2/16/2012 Version : 2.9.317.215 Published Name : oem58.inf Original File Name : ssudrmnetmp.inf Inbox : No Class Name : Net Provider Name : SAMSUNG Electronics Co., Ltd. Date : 2/16/2012 Version : 2.9.317.215 Published Name : oem6.inf Original File Name : netaapl.inf Inbox : No Class Name : Net Provider Name : Apple Date : 7/15/2013 Version : 1.8.5.1 Published Name : oem61.inf Original File Name : ssudeadb.inf Inbox : No Class Name : USB Provider Name : SAMSUNG Electronics Co., Ltd. Date : 2/16/2012 Version : 2.9.317.215 Published Name : oem64.inf Original File Name : prnms009.inf Inbox : No Class Name : Printer Provider Name : Microsoft Date : 6/21/2006 Version : 10.0.14393.0 Published Name : oem65.inf Original File Name : prnms001.inf Inbox : No Class Name : Printer Provider Name : Microsoft Date : 6/21/2006 Version : 10.0.14393.0 Published Name : oem7.inf Original File Name : intchdmi.inf Inbox : No Class Name : MEDIA Provider Name : Intel(R) Corporation Date : 12/14/2009 Version : 6.10.1.2087 Published Name : oem8.inf Original File Name : prnms006.inf Inbox : No Class Name : Printer Provider Name : Microsoft Date : 4/29/2013 Version : 16.0.1626.4000 Published Name : oem9.inf Original File Name : ant_libusb.inf Inbox : No Class Name : libusb-win32 devices Provider Name : Dynastream Innovations, Inc. Date : 4/11/2012 Version : 1.2.40.201 The operation completed successfully.[/quote]

ComputerGeek, Feb 12, 2017
  5. Thanks, I'll have a look at that original filename method when I'm back in work tomorrow. I read the 'temporarily disable' article and I'm not sure about that, as it says to 'delete driver software for this device'. I don't want to do that, I have a working driver; does that process leave a driver in place?

NikolaiDante, Feb 12, 2017
  6. Re: Driver updates
    Sorry for confusion. No need to rollback the driver if what you have is working.

Another handy tool is DriverStore Explorer. (you must run it with admin rights).
    • Click Enumerate
    • It'll provide a list of drivers by their Published filename.

To delete driver packages, select a driver package then
    • Click Delete Package button - removes the package from the driver store (but doesn't uninstall the driver for a device if currently in use)
    • Select Force Deletion before clicking Delete Package button to force remove and uninstall for any active devices

Build 1607 kills ethernet with wrong driver, fixed but how to keep? [​IMG]

ComputerGeek, Feb 12, 2017
  7. Can't you just follow this process to tell Windows to stop updating all drivers?

Windows + R keys
    Enter Sysdm.cpl
    Click on Hardware tab
    Click on Device Installation Settings
    Click on No
    A menu appears (first time) click Never Install driver software.
    You may get a warning. Click the option that says I’ll take care of it (not exact words)

Caledon Ken, Feb 12, 2017
  8. Build 1607 kills ethernet with wrong driver, fixed but how to keep?

Or simply try CaledonKen's instructions *Biggrin

ComputerGeek, Feb 13, 2017
  9. Thanks guys.

Caledon Ken, I didn't know it was that easy to prevent driver updates. I've done that now, so I'll let it update to 1607 and see what happens.

ComputerGeek, I found Original names oem3.inf and oem6.inf, but they both had the same driver Version number, same .sys filename, and still no mention of the 'later' Version number given in Device Manager. (I looked through every driver in the folder just to be sure it wasn't a completely different name.) But at least I was able to confirm different dates for the two choices, which don't match the dates in Device Manager but one pre-dates the date of the working driver in Device Manager while the other doesn't, so on that basis I used Driver Store Explorer to delete the later one. As I'm still online I assume that was the right choice, and Driver Store Explorer has a 'force deletion' option for drivers in use, and it didn't ask me to do this. And I have Drivers properly backed up now anyway.

So I'll update to 1607 again and if all is well I'll get back tomorrow to mark as solved. Still wondering why Device Manager gives a Version Number that doesn't appear in the .inf file though. Maybe it doesn't matter and maybe I'll never know Build 1607 kills ethernet with wrong driver, fixed but how to keep? :).

Thanks again for the help.

NikolaiDante, Feb 13, 2017
  10. Supposedly in the new release this spring it will be one click to shut off drivers.

You may have to disable again after you go 1607.

I have an old Dell laptop built for XP. I installed a modern wireless card with AC. I can't get that sucker to run any any modern driver and every major release it gets updated to the newest. I go in, shut of driver updates and downgrade the driver to February 2014.

Caledon Ken, Feb 13, 2017
  11. Well I was expecting it to update to 1607 again but it hasn't, and if I manually check for updates it tells me I'm up to date with 1511. Perhaps because I ticked the box saying that 1607 didn't work so well for me when I uninstalled it, would this mean Microsoft wouldn't make it available to me again? I don't know if I need it. This machine works well for simple browsing and word processing, do I need 1607?

NikolaiDante, Feb 14, 2017
  12. I think you will find lots of opinions on " do I need 1607? "

You haven't had it to date and for what you need your device is meeting the needs.

Here is an article on what 1607 provides.

What’s New in Windows 10’s Anniversary Update

Now there will lots of fixes included as well. I like to stay relatively current for fixes, functionality and security. The next big release is due out this Spring, the "Creators Release". Maybe you just wait until then. Seems each major update there are some growing pains but I think each release is getting better. Of course there will be lots of people who will argue otherwise.

If you want to force the update, use the Media creator to create USB key, install USB key and double click on Setup within key.

Now I would have an Image, made with your tool of choice or Macrium Reflect, so I could always fall back.

Both of these topics are covered in tutorials and I can provide links if you need.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Feb 14, 2017
  13. Build 1607 kills ethernet with wrong driver, fixed but how to keep?

Not sure why the anomalies in your case but sounds like you did it all right have it under control. *Thumbs

Re: 1607 upgrade. I also agree with all the points already covered in CaldonKen's advice.

ComputerGeek, Feb 14, 2017
  14. Guys, thanks to your advice I now have my ethernet device working, I know which is the correct driver, and I have a backup of it just in case. I don't think I need 1607, I'll just see how things go, and mark this 'solved' now. Thanks again, much appreciated.

NikolaiDante, Feb 15, 2017
  15. reddice Win User
    Don't rollback the correct way to prevent WU from installing a buggy driver is to go to update driver browse my computer for driver select the one you want to use and ignore the warning message. Then reboot if asked.

reddice, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Build 1607 kills ethernet with wrong driver, fixed but how to keep?

1. Build 1607 kills ethernet with wrong driver, fixed but how to keep? - Similar Threads - Build 1607 kills

2. KB4023057 - Kills Wifi and Ethernet

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    KB4023057 - Kills Wifi and Ethernet: KB4023057 - Kills Wifi and EthernetAfter performing windows update KB4023057 my wireless adapter is completely removed along with my ethernet adapter. My only work around right now is to restore and pause updates and then repeat this process after the update passes the...
  3. Windows 10 Build 1607

Windows 10 Build 1607: Are there any updates to build 1607 which adds the color filters to ease of access https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-build-1607/93d81611-5803-4b18-b171-4d0537597536
  4. How to temporarily roll back Windows 10 to build 1607 (to apply mouse firmware fix)

How to temporarily roll back Windows 10 to build 1607 (to apply mouse firmware fix): Hi, I recently bought a bluetooth wireless mouse (Genius NX-9000BT) that (despite certificates to the contrary) turns out to be not compatible with Windows 10 post build 1607. The two can no longer pair through bluetooth, apparently because of changes to a Windows...
  5. Build 1607 Not Installing

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Build 1607 Not Installing: Hello, My little netbook is having trouble installing Build 1607. Currently I have Win10 Pro 32-bit, Build 10240. There was a recent update to that build, it installed fine, and now the only update that keeps coming up is Build 1607. Each time, it progresses to a certain...
  6. Can I keep build 1511? Hated 1607......

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Can I keep build 1511? Hated 1607......: Hello, Does anybody know, if it is possible to keep build 1511 for good, do updates, but NO upgrades? One day I forgot to turn the update services off, so I got the Anniversary one. Hated it. How can Microsoft change the look, change most setting, install loads unwanted...
  7. Windows 10 1607 & Ethernet card question & fix

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 1607 & Ethernet card question & fix: I just noticed in my networks settings under connections it Says Ethernet 2 & Wi-Fi I cant change the name just to Ethernet & says being used. I had disabled the on board nforce as it wasn't compatible to windows 10 & uninstall the drivers then installed a realtek one. Is...
  8. BSOD during update to build 1607

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD during update to build 1607: During installation i received a BSOD, first 2 restarts went fine, then another one at around 73% i think and BSOD something about system exception not handled. Scanned QR code, damn thing was of absolutely no help at all. Maybe you guys will be able to assist. *edit*...
  9. RDP under Build 1607 killing running program on client, upon exit

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    RDP under Build 1607 killing running program on client, upon exit: I've been using Remote Desktop (RDP, mstsc.exe) for over 11 years to access my internet radio station server (Windows 10 64 Bld 1607). Before the 1607 upgrade, RDP always worked the way I need it to (and I PREFER to keep it working vs other options). There are no other...
  10. VMWARE users - thanks to ALTAE Networking Fix W10 build 1607

VMWARE users - thanks to ALTAE Networking Fix W10 build 1607: Hi there This fix came from ALTAE (another W10 member) but was buried in a thread that could easily be missed. You might find networking on VM's is broken after upgrade to 1607. Some adapters missing or won't work. Simply in the VMware editor (need to start in...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. hpwia_oj6700 removal

2. NX-9000BT Firmware Upgrade Process

3. windows driverstore prnms009 32bit