Windows 10: build 9860 Win 7 and XP machine access (solved)

Discus and support build 9860 Win 7 and XP machine access (solved) in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi there Old network problem has re-appeared again in build 9860 W7 and XP machines cannot access W10 machine. W10 machine CAN access W7 and XP.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by jimbo45, Oct 23, 2014.

1. jimbo45 Win User

build 9860 Win 7 and XP machine access (solved)

Hi there

Old network problem has re-appeared again in build 9860 W7 and XP machines cannot access W10 machine. W10 machine CAN access W7 and XP.

The XP and W7 machines CAN access W10 when accessed by IP address but it doesn't work by HOSTNAME (or computer name). I am using DHCP so no fixed Hosts files with IP address and Hostname fixed in a config file.

Note problem is connections FROM XP / W7 TO W10 not the other way around. (W8.1 machines work fine)

Now with a bit of Googling and testing you can make it all work.

If you BLOCK port 139 in the windows 10 firewall it all works fine again -- seems the older computer systems use both ports 445 and 139 while Windows 10 only wants to listen to port 445 - so if you block port 139 the older OS'es switch to port 445 which works properly.

If you switch OFF the firewall you'll get a problem again because the older OS'es will send out via Port 139 which W10 isn't listening for - but won't get a notification that the request is not accepted so they won't fall back to port 445.

First time I've found that testing is EASIER with the Firewall ON !!!!!!.

You do NOT need to lower the encryption security from the default 128 bit (even for XP machines) in the file sharing setup in Network connections (control panel). Just block port 139 (on the W10 machine).

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Oct 23, 2014

2. COMPATIBILITY CHECK FOR WINDOWS 10

That's ok from PC's with Windows 7 and 8, what about equipment with xp installed? Granted this will not be a free upgrade to Win 10, but I would like to know if the machine is capable of running the new OS before I go out and buy it. Basically, is there
    a downloadable tool that I can access and run on my xp machine to test for compatility with win 10?

TonyEvanson, Oct 23, 2014
  3. Win7 AND XP Mode recover from Win 10 upgrade

I recently upgraded to Win 10 from Win 7 professional W/XP mode virtual machine. Too late, I discovered that Win 10 does not support the XP mode. I know I can "recover" Win 7 (it has been less than 30 days), but will I get my XP virtual machine back along
    with the applications that were on the virtual machine?

fredfillmore, Oct 23, 2014
  4. kd833 Win User

Something tells me that Microsoft will not find it in their best interest to make NetBIOS backward compatible with XP, Vista, Windows 7, and Samba3 platforms. They have moved on to implementing SMB2/SMB3 and so has Samba with the release of Samba4.

I found it easier, in my three PC home network environment, to simply disable NetBIOS and use the each PC's hosts file with static IPs for name resolution. With Windows (since Windows 7) using "network discovery", my PC are automatically seen in "Network". I guess they would be seen even if they were in different workgroups, though I've never tested this.

So I have officially kicked my XP, Vista, Fedora, CentOS 6.x systems to the curb. I'll keep Win7 around a little while longer. I now have to spend 2 weeks of my life doing a CentOS 7.x install since it comes with Samba4. And when Win10 is officially released all PCs will be migrated to the new platform. Thereby assuring full compatibility. These mixed Windows network environments are just to painful to deal with.

kd833, Nov 2, 2014
  5. Kari Win User
    For a fellow CentOS user: Did you know that CentOS runs extremely well on Hyper-V virtual machine on Windows 10: Hyper-V VM - Install CentOS Linux in Windows 10, no networking issues with Windows 10 host.

The best part is that CentOS version 7 has the required integration components included in install image, it is one of the Hyper-V's officially supported Linux guest operating systems.

Kari, Nov 2, 2014
  6. jimbo45 Win User
    For a fellow CentOS user: Did you know that CentOS runs extremely well on Hyper-V virtual machine on Windows 10: Hyper-V VM - Install CentOS Linux in Windows 10, no networking issues with Windows 10 host.

The best part is that CentOS version 7 has the required integration components included in install image, it is one of the Hyper-V's officially supported Linux guest operating systems. Hi there

Just trying the new release of OPENSUSE (13.2) released yesterday. I'll have a go with CentOS later.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Nov 4, 2014
  7. cdgoldin Win User
    Thank you very much for the detailed explanation and the solution I've been seeking for several weeks and countless hours.

(Now, if only I can get as satisfactory a resolution to my 16-bit program problem...)

cdgoldin, Nov 30, 2014
  8. cdgoldin Win User

Thank you very much for the detailed explanation and the solution I've been seeking for several weeks and countless hours.

(Now, if only I can get as satisfactory a resolution to my 16-bit program problem...)

cdgoldin, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. build 9860 Win 7 and XP machine access (solved) - Similar Threads - build 9860 machine

2. Win 7 virtual machine with XP Mode on Win 10 or an XP virtual machine

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Win 7 virtual machine with XP Mode on Win 10 or an XP virtual machine: I'm up to 3 attempts at installing an XP machine on Hyper V (Windows 10 Pro), and though I can get the machine to run, I cannot find the browser I installed. Using the Hyper V tutorial, I followed carefully the points of unblocking both WindowsXPMode_en-us.exe and Opera's...
  3. Win 10 refuses to see XP machine

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Win 10 refuses to see XP machine: I just hooked up a new windows 10 computer. I have a bunch of stuff stored on my XP computer that also shares the parallel printer with a Windows 7 computer and I planned to share it with the Windows 10 computer. The XP computer is called slickswintel and has a static IP...
  4. Flash won't install on Build 9860

in Browsers and Email
    Flash won't install on Build 9860: Strange thing just happened - I have updated to Build 9860, in fact, I reinstalled the original Win10 TP, then updated to 9860 right away and now am in the process of setting up. Suddenly I got the following message while installing Adobe Flash: "The user does not have...
  5. Cannot access Win 10 shared drive from Win 7 PC - SOLVED.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot access Win 10 shared drive from Win 7 PC - SOLVED.: I have been fighting with this problem for about a week, but finally fixed it and for what it is worth would like to share (no pun intended) with other members. I have one Win 10 Laptop, one Win 7 Laptop and a Win 7 Desktop. My main machine is the Win 10 laptop which has...
  6. TRI boot with new build 9860

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    TRI boot with new build 9860: Hello all, on my system i have 1 HDD with duel boot WIN 7 and WIn 8.1 when i installed win 10 TP i istalled it on a second laptop drive i had hanging around and managed to prefabricate a fit into my Pc. all i had to do was enter the BIOS at switch on and select witch drive...
  7. Windows 10 on a Windows 7 machine that has XP?

Windows 10 on a Windows 7 machine that has XP?: My dad has a computer that used to have windows 7 but something went wrong and he didn't have an installation disk. He had to just load the PC with XP. I'm just wondering if it would be possible to get windows 10 on his computer. 10531
  8. Build 9860 ISO

Build 9860 ISO: My prefered pc refuses to upgrade to build 9860 so I tried, sucessfully to upgrade the second one. Before I had configured restore it crashed big time. I have removed the hdd and formatted it, I won't bother to put it on that machine again. I was wondering whether the ISO...
  9. Windows 10 Build 9860 Now Available

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 Build 9860 Now Available: Tweet — Twitter API (@user) date
  10. No ISOs for Windows 10 build 9860

in Windows 10 News
    No ISOs for Windows 10 build 9860: With the release today of Windows 10 build 986, you might be hoping to download an ISO to perform a clean install of the OS. Unfortunately, Microsoft has said that this will not occur which means that Windows Update is your only option. The information comes from Gabriel...