Windows 10: Build 9879 after updates - Taskbar doesn't work

Discus and support Build 9879 after updates - Taskbar doesn't work in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi there After applying the latest set of updates to my Windows build 9879 running on VMWARE workstation 10 the Taskbar no longer functions - the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, Nov 24, 2014.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Build 9879 after updates - Taskbar doesn't work

Hi there

After applying the latest set of updates to my Windows build 9879 running on VMWARE workstation 10 the Taskbar no longer functions - the taskbar appears but clicking any item results in NOTHING.

Desktop Icons work so programs can run -- you just can't launch the start menu or any items on the taskbar. !!!

(Windows Enterprise X-64 build 9879).

I've saved that VM and reverted back to the previous build. I'll see if anything else comes up that might fix it. This build was UPDATED from the previous build. I might try a NEW build though.

It is only a problem on a VM - works fine on REAL hardware.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Nov 24, 2014

2. How to: 10 Tips before installing the latest Windows 10

Successfully updated from 9860 to 9879 on 12/01/14. Don't know why it worked this time, since Win10 has not been booted since the failure on 11/25/14.

BTW, after the failure, it automatically reverted back to 9860.

Rocket_Scientist, Nov 24, 2014
  3. Andre Da Costa, Nov 24, 2014
  4. davehc Win User

Well, worst case, hopefully MS are interested in feedback on VMs also.....???

davehc, Nov 24, 2014
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

I posted about the task bar not working in a W10 VM -- I fired up an XP VM too and the same problem -- seems there's a problem with OPEN SUSE 13.2 (latest release), MESA (graphics) and VMWARE workstation 10.4

I'm not going to find out where the error is in that lot -- but I reverted my host back to OPENSUSE 13.1 and everything is working correctly again (including the 3D acceleration and the various VM's). I left the 10.4 release of VMware on the machine -- no problem.

Testing is quite difficult when virtual machines are involved -- especially in this case when the defect is not in the GUEST but in a combination of HOST OS and SOFTWARE. !!!!

I was still able to USE the GUEST by pressing the Windows key which bought up the Start menu -- so I could still test some applications - but without the task bar (or the system thing at the bottom right) working the VM is essentially useless.

Fortunately restoring the HOST meant I didn't have to re-create the VM's all over again.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Build 9879 after updates - Taskbar doesn't work - Similar Threads - Build 9879 updates

2. Build 9879 after updates -- USB driverpartially broken

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Build 9879 after updates -- USB driverpartially broken: Hi there. After applying the latest updates to build 9879 GUEST on VMware workstation (11) the USB driver seems to have gone bonkers. I uninstalled and re-installed VMware tools -- but no change. The VM won't recognize any USB devices not connected to it after boot time...
  3. Activate Build 9879

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Activate Build 9879: A week or so ago I installed Build 9879 of W 10 TP and have tried every day to activate it through PC Settings. I keep getting a message saying, "Windows can't activate. Try again later." Should I be concerned? What can I do to activate it? Thank you. 3376
  4. OneDrive in build 9879

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OneDrive in build 9879: This is a mess imo! Before you had the OneDrive app and you had a OneDrive folder that you saw in File Explorer. Now only the OneDrive folder is there and it only shows those files/folders that are available online and offline. While that is fine as far as it goes, if you...
  5. OneDrive crippled in Build 9879

OneDrive crippled in Build 9879: I root my User folders in the OneDrive folder which has worked fine for several years. After a day of running 9879 I restart to a warning the OneDrive cannot find the Desktop. I try to open OneDrive App and get this error: "Your System Administrator has blocked the User of...
  6. OneDrive context menu in build 9879

OneDrive context menu in build 9879: I'm missing context menu items for "Make available Offline" and "Online only" in the File explorer context menu in latest build. Are these really gone? It was a nice easy way of moving things off your hard disk. Attachment 8233 2900
  7. Build 9879 trashing hard drives!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Build 9879 trashing hard drives!: I'm starting this thread because of the large number of HDDs I have lost since updating to Build 9879. The drives I have lost are all Seagate ST1000DM003 1 TB drives, 2 were VERY new (less than 2 Weeks old) and one was only about 2 Months old. The new ones got exchanged at...
  8. Tiles not working after 9879 update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Tiles not working after 9879 update: All installed software works & using the Start8 Menu, I can access all the usual Window locations, but none of the tiles (with the exception of Internet Explorer) work; with some there's an error message to basically say the the file isn't at the location. All coloured...
  9. Windows 10 Build 9879 - Last Build of this Year

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 Build 9879 - Last Build of this Year: Hey All! Yes, I've been away and still not well but, have received a email from Gabe Aul @MS today and would like to share it with you. What made me post this is the fact that we are not getting any new builds till January. Just thought I'd let you know: From: Gabe...
  10. Microsoft rolls out KB3019269 update for build 9879

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft rolls out KB3019269 update for build 9879: Windows 10: Microsoft rolls out KB3019269 update for build 9879 to address bugs and performance issues Roughly two weeks ago, Microsoft released Windows 10 build 9879 to Windows Insider Program participants. Those of you who were in the fast ring were able to download...