Windows 10: Build of Win10 version on flashdrive built by Media Creation Tool

Discus and support Build of Win10 version on flashdrive built by Media Creation Tool in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Have a couple of flashdrives for clean Win10 installs built with Media Creation Tool - one from shortly after release & one sometime after the Nov... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by dianedebuda, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Build of Win10 version on flashdrive built by Media Creation Tool

Have a couple of flashdrives for clean Win10 installs built with Media Creation Tool - one from shortly after release & one sometime after the Nov update. Is there a way to just look at contents (other than file dates) to see what Win 10 build will be installed?

Related question: Does Media Creation Tool create a flash drive with the latest build or is it a "point in time" & WU to get to latest build? Obviously I'm confused about the source that MCT is using.

:)

dianedebuda, Feb 9, 2016

2. how do i get windows 10 back after reformat?

ok so once i reformat and im back to windows 8.1, i can use a media creation tool? to make a bootable flashdrive? what is this "media creation tool"?

ShaneBerlingeri, Feb 9, 2016
  3. ISO Windows 10 Creators Update 1703

OK thx. That must be the trick. I thought the media creation tool would automatically download the latest Win10 version, but I used an old media creation tool.

Xtof-trail71, Feb 9, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Build of Win10 version on flashdrive built by Media Creation Tool

Find either the install.wim or install.esd file on the flash drive. You will have one or the other. It will be either in the sources folder or the x86\sources or x64\sources folder.

Then from an elevated ("run as administrator") command prompt type:

DISM.exe /Get-WimInfo /WimFile:E:\sources\install.esd /Index:1

The part in red will be the path and filename to the install.wim or install.esd file you found. You can also use /Index:2 to see the additional version of Windows 10 in the file. There should be no /Index:3 but you can try it anyway, it should just give you an error.

NOTE: The November update, build 10586.0 will show up as a Technical Preview. It isn't a preview. It is the full, RTM version - Microsoft just never went back and corrected the description.

NavyLCDR, Feb 9, 2016
Thema:

Build of Win10 version on flashdrive built by Media Creation Tool

1. Build of Win10 version on flashdrive built by Media Creation Tool - Similar Threads - Build Win10 version

2. media creation tool

in Windows 10 Gaming
    media creation tool: how do i fix media creation tool it keeps crashing when i open it without any error https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/media-creation-tool/3740294e-2b85-48de-a678-e7f03ee46369
  3. Media Creation Tool

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Media Creation Tool: I'm having an issue with the media creation tool where it won't install or even give me a list of usb drives at all. Even if I tried running it from inside the usb flash drive it still says the same thing "you need 8 gb of available space on Windows :C". I'm having this issue...
  4. Win10 Media Creation Tool failed to install win10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Win10 Media Creation Tool failed to install win10: So after the recent windows 10 update, my computer is getting slow boot times, and the boot log says that wimmount.sys, WdFilter.sys, NDProxy.sys, and dxgkrnl.sys are not loaded. I tried sfc /scannow but the error message says "windows resource protection could not start the...
  5. Windows builds in media creation tool

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows builds in media creation tool: I recently reinstalled windows using media creation tool and noticed that during inatallation it shows that iso was modified at july 10 instead of may which should be the case of 2004 build/may update. And it seems there were less updates initially after installation...
  6. Media Creation Tool Windows 10 Version.

Media Creation Tool Windows 10 Version.: Which version or build of Windows 10 does the media creation tool is downloading? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/media-creation-tool-windows-10-version/cbb56576-2792-474d-bea9-21e1efbc0c8f
  7. Media creation tool

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Media creation tool: So i know i can use this tool to update my pc to latest but will i keep all my settings and preferences? Havent updated my pc in 3 years so figured this is a better way to do it. submitted by /u/AwesomePicMan [link] [comments]...
  8. Media Creation Tool ISO build question

Media Creation Tool ISO build question: Hi all, When you go to the Microsoft website to download the Media Creation Tool, is there any way of knowing the exact build of the ISO file before you download it? I cant find anywhere on the website where this might be listed. All it tells you is it is version 1903. Back...
  9. Media creation tool and windows version detection

Media creation tool and windows version detection: My question is will the Media Creation Tool automatically detect what version of windows i have? I have windows 10 pro on myn and i got the 4gb iso file, but it only gave me one option for Edition that just said windows 10, The other iso i want to get off another computer...
  10. Issues with Win10 Media Creation Tool

Issues with Win10 Media Creation Tool: I want to install Win10 on a USB, simples BUT will the MCT let me do this NO! It's trying to reinstall it on my PC even though I'm pretty sure I followed the instructions here. Anyone know how I can download Win10 without having to go through the MCT so I can have a fresh...