Windows 10: Build update Diagnostic prompt (Shift+F10 to get command prompt) gone?

Discus and support Build update Diagnostic prompt (Shift+F10 to get command prompt) gone? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; The Update process for new Windows 10 builds has shown evolutionary changes over the past two years as part of the Insider Preview Programme. One... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Fafhrd, Jul 29, 2017.

1. Fafhrd Win User

Build update Diagnostic prompt (Shift+F10 to get command prompt) gone?

The Update process for new Windows 10 builds has shown evolutionary changes over the past two years as part of the Insider Preview Programme.

One noticeable change has been that the ability, by default, to observe behind the scenes events by opening a command prompt with the keyboard shortcut Shift+F10, which has for a long time (back to XP at least), been a means to investigate and interact with the Windows Preinstallation Environment (WinPE), is now apparently disabled.

WinPE does not normally have a graphical shell interface, but used to allow some graphical applications such as Task Manager, Notepad, Regedit for instance, to observe and interact in a limited way with the environment during installation or upgrade with the Shift+F10 shortcut.

Windows Setup has a commandline switch:
    "
    /DiagnosticPrompt {enable | disable} Specifies that the Command Prompt is available during Windows Setup.

Enable: The Command Prompt can be accessed by pressing Shift+F10 during Windows setup.

Disable: The Command Prompt is not available during Windows setup. The Command Prompt wil not be available while offline and OOBE phases are running. This is the default setting.
    Example:

setup /DiagnosticPrompt enable

This setting is new for Windows 10, Version 1703. "
    (from:
    Windows Setup Command-Line Options | Microsoft Docs)

My question is how to enable this feature during Build updates, which are initiated by Windows Update, rather than by user commands.

Does anyone know if this feature can be re-enabled?

:)

Fafhrd, Jul 29, 2017
  2. Nibor1st Win User

While updating Windows 10 "Feature update to Windows 10, version 1709" Windows could not complete the installation. To install Windows on this computer, restart the installation.

User error: Shift + F10 for command prompt not just F10

Nibor1st, Jul 29, 2017
  3. Mahka Win User
    win10 stuck with error : Windows could not complete the installation. To install widow, restart the installation

Hi,

I read your post but experience the following issue:

You said hit the shift F10 to bring up command prompt. What if shift F10 doesn't work. No command has been prompted and I can't pass this screen no matter how many times I restart my Dell inspiron 15 laptop.

Any help?

Mahka, Jul 29, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

It would appear you can pass the parameters in Setupconfig.ini

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...ation-overview

5. Fafhrd Win User
    Thanks for the pointer! I have set up a SetupConfig.ini in the specified folder.

The commandline switch is:

Code: setup /DiagnosticPrompt enable [/quote] according to the source in my post, but yours indicates that I should remove the "/" and insert a "=", it seems.

Does this look OK to you?

Build update Diagnostic prompt (Shift+F10 to get command prompt) gone? [​IMG]

I'll have to wait until the next build to see if it works.

Fafhrd, Jul 29, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
  7. Fafhrd Win User
    *Redface+:FacePalm: I only read the bit Starting "Using Windows Update..."

The whole PDF (9.5MB) "Windows Manufacturing" from the link you gave is a mine of Information.

Thanks Bree, I have changed the file.

Fafhrd, Jul 30, 2017
  8. DavidY Win User

I seem to remember Shift-F10 disappeared for some of the Insider releases coming up to the release of 1703, then re-appeared by 1703 itself. Hopefully it will return by the 1709 release version.

DavidY, Jul 31, 2017
  9. Fafhrd Win User
    Just to report that I have just walked in on a laptop that I had modified as above, in the process of upgrading, I presume from 16251.0 to 16251.1000, and that shift+F10 was working fine to show the command console at about 14% after the first reboot.

I have marked this thread solved, thanks to Bree for the directions.

Fafhrd, Jul 31, 2017
  10. Fafhrd Win User
    It appears that the C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WSUS folder and contents are not persistent after the upgrade, but C:\Windows.old\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WSUS\setupconfig.ini was present.

Also I needed to make a simple permissions change (modify or full control) before I could save the setupconfig.ini file to the \WSUS\ folder I had just created in that location.

Still, an easy enough change to make.

Fafhrd, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Build update Diagnostic prompt (Shift+F10 to get command prompt) gone? - Similar Threads - Build update Diagnostic

2. My shift fn f10 key won’t work when trying to access command prompt

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My shift fn f10 key won’t work when trying to access command prompt: I booted windows 11 on usb and it says the pc restarted unexpectedly I know how to fix this issue but when I try to open the command prompt it doesn’t work but when I press okay to reset my pc the command prompt pops up for a second before my pc resets...
  3. My shift fn f10 key won’t work when trying to access command prompt

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My shift fn f10 key won’t work when trying to access command prompt: I booted windows 11 on usb and it says the pc restarted unexpectedly I know how to fix this issue but when I try to open the command prompt it doesn’t work but when I press okay to reset my pc the command prompt pops up for a second before my pc resets...
  4. Unable to get into command prompt

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to get into command prompt: Hi,I have been trying to get into my command prompt in windows, I do this my shift and right clicking on restart, I get into the command prompt just fine but it asks me for a password. Neither my Microsoft password or my windows hello pin works. Please advise....
  5. Unable to get into command prompt

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to get into command prompt: Hi,I have been trying to get into my command prompt in windows, I do this my shift and right clicking on restart, I get into the command prompt just fine but it asks me for a password. Neither my Microsoft password or my windows hello pin works. Please advise....
  6. Unable to get into command prompt

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. command prompt

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    command prompt: when another application tries to open command prompt it closes. I thought that it was the autorun virus but when i open it from start menu it doesnt close plz help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/command-prompt/e1498e45-5ac9-45ca-8a5f-6c624895c5a4
  8. Command prompt

in Windows 10 Customization
    Command prompt: It seems that I have to renew my command prompt almost monthly by use of the "bootsect /nt60 sys" command. Why is this happening ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/command-prompt/6ca7646e-66a4-45cf-ab84-781950936dee
  9. Command Prompt

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Command Prompt: On my PC cmd not working properly https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/command-prompt/1997eabc-1c65-4dd5-a223-03a83f66ccf6
  10. command prompt

in Windows 10 Customization
    command prompt: hi, Is the 64 bit operating system, alright to run on the 32 bit administrator command prompt? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/command-prompt/0202ade4-c9cf-4456-80b3-5ee9a53dd104