Windows 10: Build10240: is user log-on password required for network sharing?

Discus and support Build10240: is user log-on password required for network sharing? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have Build 10240 installed on my desktop system and it is running A-OK. My laptop is Win8.1 and I expect I'll do the Win10 upgrade in a few days.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by bbinnard, Jul 28, 2015.

1. bbinnard Win User

Build10240: is user log-on password required for network sharing?

I have Build 10240 installed on my desktop system and it is running A-OK. My laptop is Win8.1 and I expect I'll do the Win10 upgrade in a few days. Both systems use offline user accounts with no passwords.

Right now my laptop says I cannot access any shared directories on my desktop because I don't have correct permissions. This happens even after I have set the shared directories on Win10 to "Everyone, Read/Write."

I have not established a HomeGroup (whatever that is) and don't want to do that. I just want plain vanilla directory sharing.

I don't want to have to enter a password every time I start up my own system - either desktop or laptop. So is there a way to get Win10 to allow shared access with no password? I could do this (and did) with both Win7 and Win8.

:)

bbinnard, Jul 28, 2015

2. WP7 - 802.1x WEP WiFi???

WiFi connections don't require a username. They may require knowing the SSID, the identifier for a particular network. On the Flash there should be an Advanced option in WiFi to add a network. It's a plus sign.

The WiFi password is to the network, not a password that is yours for your university user account.

Once the WiFi is connected there may additional steps required to log on to the university network. That is often provided in some web page.

Sven Johannsen, Jul 28, 2015
  3. johnes39 Win User
    Assined User Folder names

Windows 10

Have three User accounts all password protected:

a. Local account

b. Local administrator account

c. Microsoft account

Each account has a separate folder created under C:\Users\ to store current logged in user files.

What is the rationale for assigning the names of these folders?

A puzzle:

When logged into the Local account a. then only User/folder c. requires a password. Why does User/folder b. not require a password?

When logged into the Local administrator account b. then both User/a. and User/c. folders require passwords, as expected .

When logged into the Microsoft account c. then both User/a. and User/b. folders require passwords, as expected.

Thanks...

johnes39, Jul 28, 2015
  4. Gary Win User
  5. bbinnard Win User
    Unfortunately that article is no help because both my desktop and laptop use non Microsoft accounts. The article gives yet another reason not to use Microsoft accounts.

bbinnard, Jul 28, 2015
  6. linw Win User
    Seems you do need a password for sharing as I have tested it here and it doesn't work without one.

7. bbinnard Win User
    What a mess. Hopefully someone will develop a registry hack (or something) to get around this annoyance.

bbinnard, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Build10240: is user log-on password required for network sharing?

1. Build10240: is user log-on password required for network sharing? - Similar Threads - Build10240 user log

2. Network Sharing and Passwords

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Network Sharing and Passwords: I am having a nightmare of a time trying to access shared folders on my two PC's, a Desktop and a NUC acting as a server.Windows keeps asking for Passwords, but I did a new install and I haven't even chosen a passwordI didn't do it as a local machine, I did it online using my...
  3. Network Sharing and Passwords

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Network Sharing and Passwords: I am having a nightmare of a time trying to access shared folders on my two PC's, a Desktop and a NUC acting as a server.Windows keeps asking for Passwords, but I did a new install and I haven't even chosen a passwordI didn't do it as a local machine, I did it online using my...
  4. Windows 11 asks for password to access network shares despite passwords not required.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 asks for password to access network shares despite passwords not required.: Hi, I have a network with 1 Windows 11, 1 Windows 8.1, and 2 Windows 7 pcs. The Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 PC's can all access each other but none can access the Windows 11 pc and it cannot access any of the shares on any of the other pcs. The Windows 11 network and shares...
  5. Windows 11 asks for password to access network shares despite passwords not required.

Windows 11 asks for password to access network shares despite passwords not required.: Hi, I have a network with 1 Windows 11, 1 Windows 8.1, and 2 Windows 7 pcs. The Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 PC's can all access each other but none can access the Windows 11 pc and it cannot access any of the shares on any of the other pcs. The Windows 11 network and shares...
  6. Network Folder Requiring Password - Password Requirement is Disabled.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Network Folder Requiring Password - Password Requirement is Disabled.: Unable to access network folder to PC on network. 2 PCs on a wired network running Windows 10 Home Edition.Both are signed in with the same Microsoft account.Searching for this issue shows resolutions in 2015 using HOMEGROUP, but that function has been discontinued and i am...
  7. Network Folder Requiring Password - Password Requirement is Disabled.

Network Folder Requiring Password - Password Requirement is Disabled.: Unable to access network folder to PC on network. 2 PCs on a wired network running Windows 10 Home Edition.Both are signed in with the same Microsoft account.Searching for this issue shows resolutions in 2015 using HOMEGROUP, but that function has been discontinued and i am...
  8. log in to a network share

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    log in to a network share: My mother got a new laptop and set it up with a new Microsoft account. She had surgery right before COVID and I moved back in with her for what was supposed to be 6 months. Then COVID happened, I lost my job, and I've been reluctant to go apartment hunting, especially with...
  9. Network Share in explorer Logging in as different User

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network Share in explorer Logging in as different User: Why can't we use address history bar to reconnect after restart and get user prompt( must type in complete address again) the history link is tied to user and won't allow different user prompt to reappear after restart as it tries to connect as current user and not different...
  10. Log in requires password

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Log in requires password: Since a recent update the PC now requires a password to log in. I have tried Windows Key - netplwiz and unchecked "users must use password...." There are no other users shown in the listing. I use my Windows account as my log in which is also the administrator...