Windows 10: Building a cloud and need advice.

Discus and support Building a cloud and need advice. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I'm finally position where I can begin to upgrade my network and computers. I'd like to start with a good solid secure router where I can add 1-3... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by jayv2251, Feb 19, 2018.

1. jayv2251 Win User

Building a cloud and need advice.

I'm finally position where I can begin to upgrade my network and computers. I'd like to start with a good solid secure router where I can add 1-3 external drives for the purpose of building my own cloud and secure place to store my backup files as well.

I understand the hardware portion of how to do all of this and even have a good idea of what equipment to buy. What I'm unsure of is the software side of all this. I am aware that I can store let's say all my ripped CD onto a partition. Then anyone on my network or a vpn that I want to also set up can access via phone outside the home, can access those music files.

What about other types of programs? For example, I have Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare. Darn thing takes up 80GB with saved games! The hard drive on my laptop is only 500Gb with only 435Gb free after a fresh re-install once Windows and Toshiba add all thier junk onto the drive. So before I pay out big dollars on a huge external drive/nas what programs won't I be able to store on there?

:)

jayv2251, Feb 19, 2018

2. Need Advice for a Friend !

do as cpitchford said and there should be an update at about 20mb then check again and there should be a 2nd one at about 90mb,

i've had mine for 2 months and thats what i had to do

MatthewMaude, Feb 19, 2018
  3. Need Advice for a Friend !

Yes.

InvinsibleSach, Feb 19, 2018
  4. Building a cloud and need advice.

Masterchiefxx17, Mar 3, 2018
  5. jayv2251 Win User
    Just to verify then, with all my family's music files stored in a folder "Albums" I can play whatever I want, my wife what she wants and our daughter the same, simultaneously?

jayv2251, Mar 4, 2018
  6. Masterchiefxx17, Mar 7, 2018
  7. jayv2251 Win User
    I appreciate the advice. I was looking at using either Kodi or Plex as a media server rather then just a "grey" way of getting free cable. There's a lot more to both programs then trying to cheat the system.

Question about redundancy. Right now the majority of our music is stored on an old....REALLY OLD 500GB ide hard drive. I don't even want to use the thing for fear of the drive giving out. I'd hate to have to re-rip 2000 some odd cd's again! (it took months!) That would be my biggest fear, would be to create my own cloud, then have it die on me! So...how do you back up a cloud just to be safe?

jayv2251, Mar 7, 2018
  8. Building a cloud and need advice.

I don't believe the Kodi application is available for Synology; at least it isn't naively. You may be able to install it as a third party.

Plex on the other hand works like a charm. I use it on my Synology. If you watch a lot of local content through Plex or stream it, then you can easily say goodbye to the cable box.

For the cloud, you can use something like BackBlaze's B2 Cloud Storage. A startup of 10GB is free, but the rest of the storage you need should be fairly cheap. I talk about it briefly here:

The Ultimate Solution to Data Backups – Featuring Synology and BackBlaze - Qwerty Articles

Masterchiefxx17, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Building a cloud and need advice.

1. Building a cloud and need advice. - Similar Threads - Building cloud need

2. Need an urgent advice,.?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Need an urgent advice,.?: Just open My PC with wins 10 _ and on the lowerright corner, where appears the "Notifications" Show this..I'm referring to the last icon. Which is the copilot icon.. when I hovered the mouse on it. Say - Copilot Preview never showed before. on the notifications area. Do am I...
  3. Need urgent advice,.?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Need urgent advice,.?: Just open My PC with wins 10 _ and on the lowerright corner, where appears the "Notifications" Show this..I'm referring to the last icon. Which is the copilot icon.. when I hovered the mouse on it. Say - Copilot Preview never showed before. on the notifications area. Do am I...
  4. Need urgent advice,.?

Need urgent advice,.?: Just open My PC with wins 10 _ and on the lowerright corner, where appears the "Notifications" Show this..I'm referring to the last icon. Which is the copilot icon.. when I hovered the mouse on it. Say - Copilot Preview never showed before. on the notifications area. Do am I...
  5. Purchase Advice Needed

Purchase Advice Needed: I was so disheartened when my computer was seriously corrupted during a Windows 10 update. With the help I received here everything is okay now.But my laptop is ten years old Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 and should be retired.Would an S-Mode offer more protection...
  6. Need networking advice

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Need networking advice: I am trying to transfer files from my laptop (Windows 10 x64, ver 1909) to my desktop (Win 10 x64 ver 20H2. I have a lot of options, but can't seem to get any to work: 1) Google Drive--I appear to have two Google Drives, one talking to my phone and laptop, the other to my...
  7. In need of expert advice

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    In need of expert advice: So I have a Lenovo Ideapad 3.. laptop has been great until today. I loaded up my laptop like usual, logged in, immediately got a "something went wrong, we need to reatart" blue screen, then after a few seconds the screen went black and nothing's working. Literally nothing, no...
  8. Need recovery advice

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Need recovery advice: Back in May of this year, I posted about a problem I was having at that time. Here's the original post: Laptop seems to be in Recovery mode - what now? I got some suggestions but was busy with other things so I simply didn't touch the laptop again for a while. Yesterday, I...
  9. GPU Advice needed

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    GPU Advice needed: Fellow Forumites: My dual 27" full HD (1980x1200) Dell monitors are now ten years old. They still work OK, but I'm thinking it's time to replace them. Can anybody tell me what kind of GPU(s) and cables I'll need to replace them with a pair of 34" monitors instead? (Find them...
  10. Help and or advice needed

in Windows 10 Support
    Help and or advice needed: I am running Windows 10. I currently attach a hdmi cable from laptop to tv. Is it possible to stream one thing from laptop onto tv screen and simultaneously surf the net using laptop monitor? Thanks 39170