Windows 10: Built-In Administrator Account Confusion

Discus and support Built-In Administrator Account Confusion in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I run lusrmgr.msc > Users. On each account shown there, I right-click > Properties. This tells me that, aside from DefaultAccount, Guest, and... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by raywood, Mar 4, 2016.

1. raywood Win User

Built-In Administrator Account Confusion

I run lusrmgr.msc > Users. On each account shown there, I right-click > Properties. This tells me that, aside from DefaultAccount, Guest, and HomeGroupUser$, I have an Administrator account that is built-in and disabled, and an account named Ray (my name) that is a member of Administrators and Home Users and that is not disabled. Ray is the account I sign into when I boot this machine.

Logged in as Ray, I go to Start > Microsoft Edge. I get an error: "This app can't open. Microsoft Edge can't be opened using the Built-In Administrator account." But as far as I can tell, I am not using the BIA account.

Confusing!

:)

raywood, Mar 4, 2016

2. Administrator Account for Windows 10

I find the answer by Kiran Kishore rather confusing and unclear, and therefore of no help.

What is the " inbuilt administrator account"? Is that the same as the "Admin account"? It does not sound so by this sentence in the answer: " Sign in through your Admin account on Windows 10 (not built administrator account). To pile on more confusion,
    the answer refers to " Microsoft/Loacl account account.

Seems to me a rather clear and straight forward question was answered by the opposite.

André Branchaud, Mar 4, 2016
  3. BulldogXX Win User
    I am the Administrator of my PC, but I keep getting errors like, "You require permission from the computer's administrator to make changes to this file."

You require permission from the computer's Administrator. That's a built-in
    system
    account; it's not a user account.

Many people confuse the built-in Administrator account with a user account that has Administrator permissions. They are two separate things. The Administrator system account is used only in the event that you are not able to log in to a regular user account.
    That's why it's hidden by default. It enables you to create a new user account on the computer. The Administrator system account does not function like a regular user account and for that reason it should not be used for day-to-day computing. You should not
    store any files there.

User accounts with Administrator permissions are assigned to the Administrators group (note the 's'.) If you required Administrator permissions to open the file, the error message would say "You require permission from Administrators ..." (with the 's'.)

A computer should only have one user account with Administrator permissions. All other accounts should be Standard accounts. So here's what you should do:

• Use the built-in Administrator to create a user account with Administrator permissions and a Standard account for yourself (and for everyone else who uses the computer.)
    • From the built-in Administrator, move any files you have stored there (including the .mp4 file you are trying to open) to your Standard account.
    • Once all personal files are out of the built-in Administrator, carefully undo any changes you made to the built-in Administrator's configuration settings.
    • Sign out of the built-in Administrator.
    • Sign in to your user account with Administrator permissions and hide the built-in Administrator (so it doesn't appear on the sign-in screen.)
    • Sign out of the Administrator user and sign in to your Standard user. Do all your day to day computing from a Standard account and use the Administrator account only when necessary. You'll be able to play your .mp4 as long as you have a player that plays
      the .mp4 format.

BulldogXX, Mar 4, 2016
  4. ELI
    Eli Win User

Yeah,Normal!
    Turn-on user account control for admin account
    1. Local Security Policy - Run "secpol.msc" and modify as in screenshot

Built-In Administrator Account Confusion [​IMG]

2. Edit Registry - Run "regedit" and change the value as in screenshot

Built-In Administrator Account Confusion [​IMG]

3. Reboot your System and now you can run all metro Apps as Administrator.
    I'm not owner of this Tutorial.

5. raywood Win User
    So I guess it's a bug: I'm not actually running the built-in administrator account, but Windows acts as if I were. And when I make the changes you suggest, I think I'm enabling User Account Control, but I see now that the slider in Control Panel > User Accounts is still set to Never Notify. Even more confusing! But you've resolved the problem, and I appreciate that.

raywood, Mar 5, 2016
  6. ELI
    Eli Win User
  7. Phydeux Win User
    Actually it's not a bug, it's because of how user accounts in 10 tie into a Microsoft account online. Your Microsoft account is how you purchase apps, free or paid, much like your Apple/Google account on a phone. But a built-in administrator account isn't designed to be used as a day-to-day account, and thus can't be connected to a Microsoft account. And without that connection, apps won't run. So it's actually working as intended, but it's unpleasant for those accustomed to working in the admin account anyway.

Just go under Windows Accessories in the start menu and use Internet Explorer instead. It's still there, just hidden under the stairs.

Phydeux, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Built-In Administrator Account Confusion - Similar Threads - Built Administrator Account

2. How to remove the in-built administrator account.

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to remove the in-built administrator account.: The account keeps causing problems like preventing me from switching security settings, and cannot do anything that needs administrive permissions. I need the fix ASAP it fixed but after a restart the same problem occured....
  3. built-in administrator & my "normal" administrator accounts

built-in administrator & my "normal" administrator accounts: i am noticing that the hidden, built-in administrator account seems to have a different hostname than my "normal" administrator's host name for administrator when i do "net user" in cmd i see my hostname as "\\" for my "normal" administrator account that i created and...
  4. Delete built in administrator account files

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Delete built in administrator account files: I enabled the built in administrator account and disabled it, what is the best method for removing all traces of it? 152433
  5. Windows 10 built-in administrator account

Windows 10 built-in administrator account: I can't access my Microsoft Store because of the built-in administrator account. Please how can i resolve this issue on windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-built-in-administrator-account/696a0530-4eac-4348-9029-ec27f7b74a57
  6. Delete microsoft account from built in administrator account

Delete microsoft account from built in administrator account: How can I delete microsoft account from built in administrator account? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/delete-microsoft-account-from-built-in/360eebcb-2a70-4ed5-9f8f-51d580e72eaa
  7. Built-in Administrator account disabled itself

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Built-in Administrator account disabled itself: Windows 10 - 1809 I have enabled the built-in Administrator account but as soon as I log off of any account I use to enable it the Administrator account reverts to being disabled and I cannot log into it. Interestingly I booted up in Safe Mode and enabled the Administrator...
  8. Built in administrator account

Built in administrator account: I've been using Windows 10 since the auto update from 8.1 Everything has worked since then, but then this happens. Randomly in the last days, if I click on any app, I get prompted "App cannot be opened using the built-in administrator account." I don't know where...
  9. Built in Administrator

Built in Administrator: Help running Windows 10, and I am stuck in the Built in Administrator log-in. It started when I was tring to disable the log-in password for my account in Windows. I can not log-in to my user's account and do not see my profile. I have went the Users Account page in the...
  10. Built in Administrator - account security questions?

Built in Administrator - account security questions?: After a couple of weeks of using Windows 10, I finally have the OS installed, tweaked and personalized. The last thing on the list is to tighten-up the default security account/settings of Windows 10 on the PC. In the past I attempted to do this w/ Windows 7 with...