Windows 10: Built in Administrator - account security questions?

Discus and support Built in Administrator - account security questions? in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; After a couple of weeks of using Windows 10, I finally have the OS installed, tweaked and personalized. The last thing on the list is to tighten-up... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by seedless, Jun 23, 2016.

1. seedless Win User

Built in Administrator - account security questions?

After a couple of weeks of using Windows 10, I finally have the OS installed, tweaked and personalized.
    The last thing on the list is to tighten-up the default security account/settings of Windows 10 on the PC. In the past I attempted to do this w/ Windows 7 with nightmarish "Permission," corrupt "User-Profile" results.

There are currently two accounts on the PC:
    My main account "" [Standard User - Local Account] Windows 10 default settings. No password. Minimal permissions issues (so-far?) on my different HDD's.
    "Built-in "Administrator" [Disabled - never used - no password has been set] I understand that this is a emergency account, and would prefer never having to use it!
    I don't envision having a MS account in the future. My next project is going to be Hyper-V (do I need a MS acct. for that?).

If I re-name and add a password to the "Built-in "Administrator" account, will I forever have to look at it when I log on the the PC? Will the re-naming change the SID? How have other members done it?

I've read through the tutorials:
    Administrator account - Enable or Disable in Windows 10
    Account Type - Change in Windows 10
    Permissions - Change Owner of File, Folder, Drive, or Registry Key
    Permissions - Allow or Deny Access to Users and Groups

As you can see from what I've listed above. I terrified of future "permission" issues. I have a few different HDD's with music, tv, movies, etc. that were created with old Windows 7, using different programs when they were originally created.

Are there any other recommended guides for the security questions I have without getting to tin-foil-hattty? Any ideas?

I would prefer to use gpedit.msc to set the password ansd security settings? So after a fresh install down the road, I would be able to just restore the old settings with this guide Group Policy Settings - Backup and Restore and carry-on. Would this be possible?

:)

seedless, Jun 23, 2016

2. built in administrator account

Unsure what you mean. Can you be more specific?

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Jun 23, 2016
  3. built in administrator account

no I do not have a backup. how do i go about the backup and recovery?

SashaMartin, Jun 23, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

The built-in admin account is for emergency use and normally would not be needed. However, you do need at least one administrator user on your PC so that you can make changes. I see that you have set yourself as a standard user which means that you must have downgraded your original account from an administrator to a standard user. This will almost certainly give you problems in the future.

If I am correct, then you will need to create a new user as an administrator and you will only be able to do this by temporarily enabling your built-in admin account as shown in the tutorial you have been reading.

philc43, Jun 23, 2016
  5. seedless Win User
    I've posted for advice here before I make any account changes whatsoever.

It sounds like I may have error-ed in listing my main account as "standard user" in the OP? Luckily the main account is still listed in the Administrator group

Built in Administrator - account security questions? [​IMG]

seedless, Jun 23, 2016
  6. philc43 Win User
    OK, then you are in good shape! I would not change the built in admin account at all, leave it disabled.

A Microsoft account can be useful if you want to sync settings between computers, use OneDrive and use MS Office, I use one but I can see that you might prefer to steer clear of it.

Hyper V does not require an MS account, have a look at this tutorial: Hyper-V virtualization - Setup and Use in Windows 10

In my view a lot of the concerns over security issues and privacy in W10 are exaggerated but have a look at some of the tutorials and recommendations on this site.

Start with: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1...dows-10-a.html

then look at some of the related tutorials mentioned at the end of the article.

philc43, Jun 24, 2016
  7. seedless Win User
    After stewing on this. And remembering my past wounds trying to lock down win7, I was leaning this way also.
    Thank you!

I've been using Dropbox on my devices for the last few years. The integration of OneDrive in Win10 seems pretty deep. I guess I could shift all my telemetry issues back on MS and stop using Dropbox.
    I really dislike the idea of having multiple profiles and accounts on "My-PC." Another project for another day.

I've already browsed through Kari's Hyper-V thread. That's next weeks project.

I've been happy with Win10 security so far.
    I would agree that the privacy issues have probably been over-blown on the web. With Android I already give all my info to Google (and Dropbox) anyway. Good or bad - it seems to be the general direction of tech. I just try to limit my personal exposure on the different company servers around around the world when it's simple, or convenient for me.

Thank you for the link above. Going forward that's probably going to be the easiest method.

Do you have any thoughts regarding this article: Accounts: Rename administrator account ?
    I do understand that the recommendation is mostly just placebo security.

Thank you for your time and wisdom philc43

seedless, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Built in Administrator - account security questions? - Similar Threads - Built Administrator account

2. Administrator and user accounts question

in Windows 10 Support
    Administrator and user accounts question: I recently had to reformat my hard drive, and I chose to use the Custom installation. Somehow I created a User account with a nickname that I use, and a Administrator account with my real name. When I installed Windows 10 a number of years ago I did it from scratch, and...
  3. How to remove the in-built administrator account.

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to remove the in-built administrator account.: The account keeps causing problems like preventing me from switching security settings, and cannot do anything that needs administrive permissions. I need the fix ASAP it fixed but after a restart the same problem occured....
  4. Window Administrator Account Password & Security Question forgotten.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Window Administrator Account Password & Security Question forgotten.: i was using picture password for a long time ,then a child try wrong attempts now picture password is disappear and Window Administrator Account Password & Security Question forgotten....
  5. built-in administrator & my "normal" administrator accounts

built-in administrator & my "normal" administrator accounts: i am noticing that the hidden, built-in administrator account seems to have a different hostname than my "normal" administrator's host name for administrator when i do "net user" in cmd i see my hostname as "\\" for my "normal" administrator account that i created and...
  6. Delete built in administrator account files

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Delete built in administrator account files: I enabled the built in administrator account and disabled it, what is the best method for removing all traces of it? 152433
  7. Windows 10 built-in administrator account

Windows 10 built-in administrator account: I can't access my Microsoft Store because of the built-in administrator account. Please how can i resolve this issue on windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-built-in-administrator-account/696a0530-4eac-4348-9029-ec27f7b74a57
  8. Built-in Administrator account disabled itself

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Built-in Administrator account disabled itself: Windows 10 - 1809 I have enabled the built-in Administrator account but as soon as I log off of any account I use to enable it the Administrator account reverts to being disabled and I cannot log into it. Interestingly I booted up in Safe Mode and enabled the Administrator...
  9. Built-In Administrator Account Confusion

Built-In Administrator Account Confusion: I run lusrmgr.msc > Users. On each account shown there, I right-click > Properties. This tells me that, aside from DefaultAccount, Guest, and HomeGroupUser$, I have an Administrator account that is built-in and disabled, and an account named Ray (my name) that is a member of...
  10. Built in administrator account

Built in administrator account: I've been using Windows 10 since the auto update from 8.1 Everything has worked since then, but then this happens. Randomly in the last days, if I click on any app, I get prompted "App cannot be opened using the built-in administrator account." I don't know where...