Windows 10: built-in mic stopped working for Skype (works for Audacity)

Discus and support built-in mic stopped working for Skype (works for Audacity) in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I had to re-install many apps and now found that while Audacity works fine with both headset and internal speakers and built-in mic, and Skype works... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Airider, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Airider Win User

built-in mic stopped working for Skype (works for Audacity)

I had to re-install many apps and now found that while Audacity works fine with both headset and internal speakers and built-in mic, and Skype works with headset .... but the built-in mic no longer works with Skype

:)

Airider, Aug 4, 2017
  2. 空猫丸 Win User

Built in microphone not working when earphone plugged in

Original title:- Built in mic not working?

Hi i was wondering if you can use the pc built in mic while using headphones that doesnt have any built in mic?

When i plug my headphones in, i turn on the pc built mic and try using skype etc but even though its enabled it doesnt hahve any response.

But when i unplug my headphones the mic works perfectly fine.

Is this meant to happen?

空猫丸, Aug 4, 2017
  3. How can I get Cortana to work on start-up without fiddling every day?

Thank you, Yashwanth.

I’ve gone through your suggestions and it hasn’t made a difference to Cortana, although one different behaviour after rebooting is that no sound applications (e.g. Audacity, Skype) work until I plug in an external mic, then pull it out.

Only on pulling out does my webcam mic pick up any sound.

The webcam mic is the default, as it was in Windows 7, and it is correctly listed as such in the recording devices.

The good news is that the bug is consistent across all devices that require sound, though it is still annoying that one has to employ this plug-in, pull-out technique to get the default mic to work.

Jack Yan, Jack Yan & Associates, Aug 4, 2017
  4. Airider Win User

OK, see this got moved by admins to the right place .... because >

All fixed! Had to re-install Realtek Audio Driver direct from HP (for second time)

Issue came up because of System Restore (BSOD) and having to re-install Security Updates, take it to be one more Windows 10 Pro v.1703-caused conflict .... but (as before) built-in mic & speakers (HP 840 EliteBook G2) AND headset (incl. mic) work with Audacity (easy way to check) and with Skype.

Since MS owns Skype, you'd think they'd have figured this out beforehand

... but "the System" worked (HP's part) and "All's Well That Ends Well" (so far)

Airider, Aug 4, 2017
Thema:

1. built-in mic stopped working for Skype (works for Audacity) - Similar Threads - built mic stopped

2. Built-in mic and mic-in jack not working properly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Built-in mic and mic-in jack not working properly: My microphone jack went out on my GL73 laptop and Built-in mic; I have seen posts of this happening but I don't know if I should download the same SCM file as I've seen on threads...
  3. Built-in mic and mic-in jack not working properly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Built-in mic and mic-in jack not working properly: My microphone jack went out on my GL73 laptop and Built-in mic; I have seen posts of this happening but I don't know if I should download the same SCM file as I've seen on threads...
  4. Mic stopped working?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Mic stopped working?: My laptop after being through years of damage will randomly shut down and then start back up again randomly, and usually it's fine. This time I was on a call with friends, and it happened, and now my microphone isn't working at all. My computer doesn't pick up any problems,...
  5. Please help!! Built in mic not working !!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Please help!! Built in mic not working !!: Hey my dudes !! I have run into some issues with my built in microphone for my laptop. I am using an Acer aspire v5 561g and the microphones don't work. It works when I use a headphone but when I unplug the headphone, the buil in microphone doesn't work. Can you suggest me a...
  6. Built in mic won't work

Built in mic won't work: Hello. So I have this Lenovo laptop for almost a year or two now, and it's been working pretty fine except the battery which is a bit dead. Let's head to the main problem. I have been using this built in mic for some time and it's been working perfectly fine, but when my...
  7. Built-in mic won't work.

Built-in mic won't work.: Hello. So I have this Lenovo laptop for almost a year or two now, and it's been working pretty fine except the battery which is a bit dead. Let's head to the main problem. I have been using this built in mic for some time and it's been working perfectly fine, but when my...
  8. mic stopped working

mic stopped working: The issue occurred after Windows 10 was updated. I was trying to get in touch with my friend over facebook but mic wasn’t working.I wasn’t able to turn it on in the settings...
  9. built in web camera and mic not working

built in web camera and mic not working: I have a Toshiba Satellite C55-C5379 laptop running Windows 10. It had Windows 10 when I bought it new. My built-in camera and mic have stopped working. They had worked not too long ago. I don't remember exactly, but I would say about 6 months. Can anyone help me fix this?...
  10. built in micrphone stopped working

in Windows 10 Support
    built in micrphone stopped working: It is not picking up anything but is working properly in device manager, it is not muted and its drivers is up-to-date. Maybe broken? but mostly I didn't use it. HELP, I like Cortana btw 60220