Windows 10: Business Laptop User connecting by Internal OR External networks.

Discus and support Business Laptop User connecting by Internal OR External networks. in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I work for a small firm with no real IT support. I recently started the move from a desktop Win 7 machine to a new Win 10 Pro Laptop. Aside from the... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by bhhts, Aug 1, 2017.

1. bhhts Win User

Business Laptop User connecting by Internal OR External networks.

I work for a small firm with no real IT support. I recently started the move from a desktop Win 7 machine to a new Win 10 Pro Laptop. Aside from the typical pains of moving this and that over, I now have a new issue. My office has a Network Drive that provides two drives to my machine. While connected in the office it's mapped as "Shares(\\NAS01)(S: )" and "MyUser (\\NAS01\Users)(U: )". When connected via the external VPN they appear as "Web Server's Default Page: port/Shares (T: )" and "Web Server's Default Page: port/Users/MyUser (V: )".

It's annoying but I could live with having dual mappings and remembering which link in Quick Access is from which drive. But I have some software that requires path linking in it's settings that link to folder on each of the two drives (Shares and Users).

I can think of three methods to overcome this:
    1) Two user profiles, one for in office, one for out of office, using the proper mapping, and having access to the same user files.
    2) Only use the laptop in an "out of office" style, not connection to the internal network, and using a ton of data on a moble hot spot.
    3) Have a script (or two) I can quickly run to add/remove the drives as needed.

Does Win 10 have a better method to handle this situation?
    Is there a tutorial link I've missed in these archives or elsewhere?
    I don't know how to accomplish options 1 and 3, and option 2 could be a miserably slow experience.

Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere.

As a side question, could this be done for my bosses Win 7 laptop.

Thank you.

:)

bhhts, Aug 1, 2017

2. Windows 10 question: Can I restrict a User ID to have no access to other NIC based resources from a local PC other than Public ?

Hello Ramon,

The Group Policy settings that you mentioned, only appear to stop the user from changing the properties, not from accessing whatever is normally accessible through that NIC,

I have two NIC (Network Interface Cards) attached to my PC - Internal, and External. The External NIC is connected (eventually) to the Internet. The Internal NIC is connected to a local network that has no internet connectivity.

My PC has several local user accounts. I would like to be able to control which users can access the Internal Network, whilst giving all access to the External Network.

Is that Possible with Windows 10 Pro ?

Thanks,

EnglishmanInJapan, Aug 1, 2017
  3. Do I need wires to be connected to the Ethernet?

You don't need wires to connect to the wireless network, except if you are using an extender or access point as a wireless adapter.

• Are you using an internal or external wireless adapter for your laptop?
    • Can you send a screenshot of your Network or
      Network Connections

Master_Thovy, Aug 1, 2017
Thema:

Business Laptop User connecting by Internal OR External networks.

1. Business Laptop User connecting by Internal OR External networks. - Similar Threads - Business Laptop User

2. RDP Not Connecting from External Network

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    RDP Not Connecting from External Network: Error Message: 0x300005fOS: Windows 11 ProRDP Initiator: Microsoft Remote Desktop Apple App StoreIssue: Every attempt 100+ times now to initiate an RDP session using the public IP address, the Host PC name, the gateway IPv4 address, and username/domain name have failedI...
  3. 'C:\Users\PRAKHAR' is not recognized as an internal or external command

in Windows 10 Gaming
    'C:\Users\PRAKHAR' is not recognized as an internal or external command: i was trying to integrate some of the drivers in the windows iso but somehow this error came and this also came while attempting to export my drivers to a folder in Downloads...
  4. 'C:\Users\PRAKHAR' is not recognized as an internal or external command

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    'C:\Users\PRAKHAR' is not recognized as an internal or external command: i was trying to integrate some of the drivers in the windows iso but somehow this error came and this also came while attempting to export my drivers to a folder in Downloads...
  5. Connecting External Hard Drive to Network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Connecting External Hard Drive to Network: I would like to have an external hard drivecontinuously connected to my home network. My router does not have a USB port and I do not have any PC that is connected 100% of the time to the home network. my PCs are running Win 11 Home editionIs there a hardware device I should...
  6. can't connect to network user

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    can't connect to network user: i can see other users on my private network but can only connect to one of them. the problem is when i enter the user information. on the computer i can access using microsoft credentials there is only one user account on this machine. the other computers i can't access with...
  7. Laptop internal and external mic not working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Laptop internal and external mic not working: I have an asus K501LX and the microphone is not working. I tried using problem solving from the sound settings and it is not giving me any options. So i tried to plug in a USB microphone from sennheiser and the mic is still not working. I thought it had something to do with...
  8. Internal external Mic on my Laptop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Internal external Mic on my Laptop: I have a headset I use for my PS4 that I want to use for my laptop. My problem comes from the fact that my laptop microphone is the only input device and I would rather it be the mic. What can I do? Can I install another driver to recognize mics jacked in? Am I stuck with...
  9. Internal network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Internal network: How do I set up a private internal network between two (or more) PCs, but not through a router, or on the internet? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/internal-network/be48e24c-bab9-46ec-98ea-633dc0b4e62c
  10. I connected an external display to my laptop now no internal

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    I connected an external display to my laptop now no internal: Hey guys, so i'm running B10074 on my laptop , and I connected my external display to it as well as my external keyboard and mouse at my desk so I could sit there and do the setup etc without moving all of that out of the way. I had the laptop lid shut and off to the side...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. \\nas01\users