Windows 10: Business type workgroup Network

Discus and support Business type workgroup Network in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Finally installed Win10 on a computer with raw HD. It installed realtively easy. But I can not figure out how to setup a network to see two Win7... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by DocBrown, Oct 18, 2014.

1. DocBrown Win User

Business type workgroup Network

Finally installed Win10 on a computer with raw HD. It installed realtively easy.
    But I can not figure out how to setup a network to see two Win7 computers on a small business type workgroup.
    I disabled Homegroup since I am most comfortable without them. But in trying to setup a network workgroup with my Cisco-Linksys wired router, Win10 just has been searching for 2 hours to do the setup????

Business type workgroup Network [​IMG]

:)

DocBrown, Oct 18, 2014
  2. kjl1956 Win User

How to Fix the “Some Settings Are Managed By Your Organization in windows 10?

If your device is connected to work or school you may be connected on a domain controller, this is also the pro version of win10 networking.

System, change settings , network id, change to "not part of business network" change , network domain or workgroup, change to workgroup or if sharing files etc, the home network name, restart.

kjl1956, Oct 18, 2014
  3. Some settings are managed by your organization. Windows 10 Home. Wi-Fi Settings

These steps have no effect. I have tried them a dozen times after trying various telemetry settings. I have a home network with Linux computers that are incompatible with Homegroup. It appears to me that setting up a workgroup that is not a Homegroup overrides
    the setting that the computer is a home computer.

My computer is a home computer

Homegroup is incompatible with my home network

It appears that attaching to a workgroup overrides "not part of a business network"

dwlloyd810, Oct 18, 2014
  4. Kari Win User

Doc, even when the Homegroup is not used and you use Home or Work network location (Windows 7) and Private (Windows 8 & 10) you shouldn't need to do anything else than to enable sharing on each Windows rig as shown in this screenshot (from Windows 7, the same settings apply for 8 & 10):

(The last highlighted item: you can of course also select Password protected sharing ON, as you wish. I have it OFF in home network.)

When done, network shows all computers:

... with access to shares on each, here the shares on a Windows 7 Ultimate desktop seen from a Windows 10 laptop:

There's no need to create any networks, that's automatic as long as all computers belong to same workgroup and subnet. I'm using Windows firewall on each rig, third party firewalls might need some settings changed.

5. DocBrown Win User
    Thanks Kari, *Biggrin

I forgot to set the correct Workgroup name after installing Win-10 *Redface

Now I can see the Win7 shared computers and folders *Smile

But the Win7 computers can't access the Win-10 computer *Huh

DocBrown, Oct 19, 2014
  6. Kari Win User
    You are sure your sharing settings in Windows 10 are correct and that Network Discovery is turned on?

Check these settings in Private and All Networks in Windows 10:

When done you should have no issues. I can access my shares on this Windows 10 laptop from Windows 7 & 8 machines, both physical and virtual, as well as from Linux machines without issues. Here a Windows 7 desktop accessing shares on Windows 10 laptop:

7. kd833 Win User
    @Kari,

What Linux distro are you using? What version of Samba do you have installed (ver3.x, ver4.x)? Is your Linux PC acting as a Samba client or Samba server in your network configuration?

kd833, Oct 26, 2014
  8. Kari Win User

@kd833:

• CentOS 7
    • Samba is default which will be installed with OS, not on Linux machine now but it must be the latest 4.x version
    • Client only, my server runs Windows 8.1 Pro

Kari, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Business type workgroup Network - Similar Threads - Business type workgroup

2. Workgroups

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Workgroups: how do I unjoin from a workgroup ? Somehow I am in a workgroup that I never recall joining and it is causing me problems. what can I do to remove my desktop from a workgroup?...
  3. Network ID Not changing from workgroup or domain to home network

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Network ID Not changing from workgroup or domain to home network: So recently, I decided that I would finally activate my windows 10, and bought a key. So when I went to the activation settings, this text pops up: We cant activate windows on your device because you not connected to your organizations network. But I'm not part of an...
  4. workgroup

workgroup: After 10 updated my homegroup was deleted. I can't get workgroup to connect to hard wired lan. Is there a better way to network and share resources? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/workgroup/a0046796-660b-4a4a-92ae-a8974cf0900b
  5. Windows 10 (no workgroup) - not seen on network

Windows 10 (no workgroup) - not seen on network: 3 computers working on a wifi network in a small office. Have been connected on a network and each computer can be seen by each computer. All of a sudden, the one computer cannot be seen by the other two nor can the other two see that computer. This is not the first time it...
  6. Small Network/Workgroup

Small Network/Workgroup: How di I create \Windows 10network at my office to share files, printer and internet access between 2 or more laptops running Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/small-networkworkgroup/352296a6-51d4-43fc-b293-0b50ec215846
  7. Network/Workgroup Sharing

Network/Workgroup Sharing: Sirs: I have two computers set up to use the same Workgroup. When I try to connect from one computer to the other. I get a message "You do not have permission to access (the shared directory)" on the other computer. I enabled all sharing and permissions that I can find...
  8. workgroup

workgroup: How do I setup a workgroup in Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/workgroup/549ade62-03ff-435f-b64a-a53c87d620ee
  9. workgroup

workgroup: From a windows 10, Having trouble creating a workgroup with a windows 7. Bill https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/workgroup/5d5266c5-b447-4fe7-8324-104e5328d3d0
  10. Workgroup Network with Multiple User Accounts

Workgroup Network with Multiple User Accounts: I have a small workgroup (not homegroup) network setup with four PCs. Two are Win10 Pro, two are Win7 Pro. Each PC is used by one person and therefore has one user account. I have assigned permissions so that each PC can access the desired folders on the others. Everything is...