Windows 10: Add Hard disk burst ignore time to Power Options in Windows

Discus and support Add Hard disk burst ignore time to Power Options in Windows in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Add Hard disk burst ignore time to Power Options in Windows How to Add or Remove "Hard disk burst ignore time" from Power Options in Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Dec 4, 2016.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Add Hard disk burst ignore time to Power Options in Windows

How to: Add Hard disk burst ignore time to Power Options in Windows

How to Add or Remove "Hard disk burst ignore time" from Power Options in Windows

Having your HDDs automatically turned off after being idle can help save energy and extend a PC's battery life.

The Turn off hard disk after setting in Power Options lets users set to have hard disks (HDD) power down after a specified time of HDD inactivity is detected.

Some Windows systems might exhibit very small amounts (bursts) of disk activity separated by relatively long amounts of disk idle time. This pattern of disk activity impacts system power savings because the disk is powered up periodically. The disk then remains in the spin-up state for at least the disk idle time‑out, even if the amount of disk activity that caused the disk to spin up is very small.

The Power Options lets users ignore this burst of disk activity up to a specified time when the Turn off hard disk after setting is determining if a hard disk is idle. By default, Hard disk burst ignore time is set to 0 (do not ignore disk burst activity).

This tutorial will show you how to add or remove the Hard disk burst ignore time setting under Hard disk in Power Options for all users in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.

*Warning You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to add or remove this setting in Power Options.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Add or Remove "Hard disk burst ignore time" in Power Options using Command Prompt
    • Option Two: Add or Remove "Hard disk burst ignore time" in Power Options using REG file

EXAMPLE: "Hard disk burst ignore time" in Power Options

Add Hard disk burst ignore time to Power Options in Windows [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] Add or Remove "Hard disk burst ignore time" in Power Options using Command Prompt
    1. Open an elevated command prompt.

2. Type the command below you want to use into the elevated command prompt, and press Enter.
    (Add)
    powercfg -attributes SUB_DISK 80e3c60e-bb94-4ad8-bbe0-0d3195efc663 -ATTRIB_HIDE

OR

(Remove - default)
    powercfg -attributes SUB_DISK 80e3c60e-bb94-4ad8-bbe0-0d3195efc663 +ATTRIB_HIDE
    3. You can now close the elevated command prompt if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] Add or Remove "Hard disk burst ignore time" in Power Options using REG file

*note The downloadable .reg files below will modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerSettings\0012ee47-9041-4b5d-9b77-535fba8b1442\80e3c60e-bb94-4ad8-bbe0-0d3195efc663

Attributes DWORD

1 = Remove
    2 = Add

1. Do step 2 (add) or step 3 (remove) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Add "Hard disk burst ignore time" to Power Options
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Add_Hard_disk_burst_ignore_time_to_Power_Options.reg

Download

3. To Remove "Hard disk burst ignore time" from Power Options
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Remove_Hard_disk_burst_ignore_time_from_Power_Options.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Dec 4, 2016
  2. Anne Fuj Win User

Power option settings being ignored

Hi David,

To fixyour concern,
    let us do the following methods:

Method 1:
    Run the Power troubleshooter and check if it helps.

• Type troubleshooting in the search bar.
    • Select Troubleshooting.
    • Select View all on the top left corner.
    • Click on Power.
    • Follow the on-screen instructions to run the troubleshooter.

If the issue persists then follow the below method.

Method 2: We
    suggest that you
    restore the power plan to default and check if it works.

• Right click on Start button and click on
      Control Panel.
    • Click on
      Power Options.
    • Click on
      choose when to turn off displayfrom the left pane.
    • Click on
      Restore default settings for this plan.

Let us see how it goes.

Anne Fuj, Oct 27, 2019
  3. Eric Ber Win User
    Hard disk won't stay alive

Hi,

Conflicts with the power options is one of the possible reasons why your hard disk shuts down every five minutes. For us to assist you better, kindly answer the following questions:

• Which Version and OS Build number of Windows 10 is currently installed? To check, press the
      Windows key, type winver, and press the
      Enter
      key.
    • Is this an internal hard disk or an external hard disk?

Meanwhile, you can try to use the Power troubleshooter to resolve the issue. Windows 10 has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with the Power options. You can follow the steps below:

• Press Windows key + X, select Control
      panel.
    • Change the view by option on the top right to
      Large icons.
    • Click on troubleshooting and click on the view all option on the left panel.
    • Run the Power troubleshooter.

We are looking forward to your response.

Eric Ber, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Add Hard disk burst ignore time to Power Options in Windows

Windows 10 Power Options Not working

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I suggest you to follow the below methods and check if it helps.

Method 1: Use the hardware troubleshooter to fix the issue

The Hardware Troubleshooter is an automated tool which will check the hardware connected to the computer for any known issues with it and provides the details and on how to fix them. Follow these steps and run the troubleshooter.
    Follow these steps:

• Press Windows key to get the Start menu.
    • Type Troubleshooting in the search box right up corner and hit enter.
    • Click on Troubleshooting tab.
    • Click on view all option on the upper left corner.
    • Select the power options from the list.
    • Click Next to run the power Troubleshooter.
    Method 2: Also I suggest you to create a new power plan and check if it helps.

• Go to control panel and then click on power options.
    • Then click on create new power plan.
    • Change the power plan accordingly and check.
    Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Oct 27, 2019
  5. Xylee Del Win User
    Windows 10 power options

Hi Robert,

About your concern with Windows 10 power options, applied settings may not be recognized due to several reasons. We suggest that you run the Windows 10 Power troubleshooter. Here are the steps to follow:

• Go to Search, type troubleshoot, and click Troubleshooting.
    • Under System and Security, click Improve power usage.
    • The troubleshooting wizard will automatically start. It will try to solve any detected issues.

Let us know if you need further assistance regarding your concern.

Xylee Del, Oct 27, 2019
  6. gmopro Win User
    Power Settings Ignored by Lenovo Yoga 400 laptop

• Did you make any changes to your computer? I dont know.. what kind of changes are you talking about. I only added software.. like Norton Security and a few free MSFT apps.
    • Which Build are you currently in? I dont know..probably the latest one. How do i determine "the build"?? I always update windows and pretty sure this is up to date here.
    • Which troubleshooting steps did you try? Tried everything that was suggested,..power troubleshooter, update graphics card, set power settings to default, and other things.. nothing worked. Has been a problem for many months.
      How do i do this clean boot? I will need instructions for these things..step by step. i am tired of this machine ignoring the power settings. Need this fixed.

gmopro, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

Add Hard disk burst ignore time to Power Options in Windows

1. Add Hard disk burst ignore time to Power Options in Windows - Similar Threads - Add Hard disk

2. Windows 11 on an Dell Laptop Ignoring Power Options

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 on an Dell Laptop Ignoring Power Options: After performing a fresh install to Windows 11, updating drivers and completing all Windows updates. When the System > Power & Battery > Screen and Sleep settings are modified for both battery power and plugged in settings to 3 hours before the "turn off my screen" event...
  3. Windows 11 on an Dell Laptop Ignoring Power Options

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 on an Dell Laptop Ignoring Power Options: After performing a fresh install to Windows 11, updating drivers and completing all Windows updates. When the System > Power & Battery > Screen and Sleep settings are modified for both battery power and plugged in settings to 3 hours before the "turn off my screen" event...
  4. Disk Burst definition

in Windows 10 Customization
    Disk Burst definition: Hi, I am trying to understand how to make the "Disk burst ignore time" setting described herehttps://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/customize/power-settings/disk-settings-disk-burst-ignore-timework as I need it to. First, I need to understand how the "Disk Burst"...
  5. How to: Disk Burst Ignore Time

How to: Disk Burst Ignore Time: Hi, I searched the web for a clear explanation but didn't really find anything. MS's page https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/customize/power-settings/disk-settings-disk-burst-ignore-time is even more confusing. I had already set the "Turn Off Disk After"...
  6. Power Option Changes Ignored?

in Windows 10 Support
    Power Option Changes Ignored?: Hi! For a long while I've had a problem with Power Options being ignored. I want the Power Plan on High Performance, but I don't want my processor running at 100% all of the time. If I set Balanced, my processor will happily clock down to 800MHz when idle as expected If I...
  7. Windows ignores the time set in power plan options to turn off my monitors

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows ignores the time set in power plan options to turn off my monitors: I set the time to turn off my monitors to 10min in windows power plan options and it doesn’t work. Also tried setting the power button to turn off the monitors but in vain, when I press the power button after setting it to turn off my monitors, the monitors go black for a...
  8. How to tell Windows to ignore a failing hard disk?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to tell Windows to ignore a failing hard disk?: There's a failing drive in my PC and even through it's E rather than C it's caused Windows to crash, reboot, and try to fix the drive a few times over the weekend. For reasons, mostly of time, I can't physically remove the drive straightaway, so is there a way to tell...
  9. Windows 10 1909 ignoring power options?

Windows 10 1909 ignoring power options?: Hi all, i have got windows 10 on my laptop and i limited cpu frequency to 3.4ghz (instead of 4ghz) and i also set maximum processor frequency to 85% giving me the same result, originally i had no issue of this until 1903 came out which ruined this! After alot of googling i...
  10. Add or Remove Turn off hard disk after from Power Options in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Turn off hard disk after from Power Options in Windows: How to: Add or Remove Turn off hard disk after from Power Options in Windows How to Add or Remove 'Turn off hard disk after' from Power Options in Windows 10 The NVMe. Having your HDDs automatically turned off after being idle can help save energy and extend a PC's...