Windows 10: buy or rent

Discus and support buy or rent in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi all I have a xfinity gatway all in one wifi 802.11 ac my speedi pay for are 250down /30up I use a nighthawk ac3200 for wifi because it has better... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ocir, Feb 14, 2016.

1. ocir Win User

buy or rent

Hi all I have a xfinity gatway all in one wifi 802.11 ac my speedi pay for are 250down /30up
    I use a nighthawk ac3200 for wifi because it has better range
    would I be better off getting a sb6183 or sb9190 modem only?
    I am looking for the best performance I can get. thanks

:)

2. Entegy Win User

windows phone 7 television?

No, Zune TV is the buying/renting of tv show episodes, like iTunes.

Entegy, Feb 14, 2016
  3. Purchase in China

Hi Gavin,

You can use the Movies & TV app in Windows 10 to buy or rent the latest movies and TV shows in HD. To answer your question if you can purchase a movie using your card, yes, you may.

To manage your payment information for your Microsoft account, see this
    link
    . Also, for more information about how to buy or rent movies and TV content on
    Windows 10, check on this page.

We would appreciate it if you could get back to us and provide us your feedback.

Michael Gall, Feb 14, 2016
  4. jimbo45 Win User

buy or rent

Hi there

what are you needing to do -- huge speeds are really only necessary on things like streaming movies and even those can be sensibly streamed at 8MB /s for full 1080p without buffering.

RDP / file sharing etc if you are connected a lot - then even 54 is OK for probably 99% of stuff and for typical desktop applications might be just as good as a LAN cable.

If you are streaming to a chromecast then use the Chromecast LAN adapter -- that will give you real improvement using the chromecast rather than its wifi built in system which can only use the 2.4 GHZ band anyway so this device natively has to use the 2.4GHZ settings on wifi. The adapater only costs around 12 EUR here so probably about 10 USD for you. if in USA.

Switch your Wifi settings to the 5GHZ and select the wide 40 channel instead of narrow 20 band if your box allows it (smart phones of recent vintage don't have any problem with either) .

I think optimising what you have is better than rushing out buying a new router which probably isn't necessary as you have a decent wifi adapter in your machine.

Really fast wifi is only necessary to download mega large files at fast speed or run a server for a lot of users -- I'd think on even 30 Mb/s instead of the 300 you have you'd hardly notice much (if any) difference for typical tasks. I'm not saying it's horrible to have --far from it - but you need to ascertain what you want it for.

My main problem with ISP's is that they often offer blazingly fast DOWNLOAD speeds but Glacial UPLOAD speeds often (or usually) are 10 - 15 times SLOWER than the upload. Doesn't matter how good your router is if the upload is SLOW (unless you are totally on an INTERNAL network).

Cheers
    limbo

jimbo45, Feb 14, 2016
  5. ocir Win User
    Would it be better to buy or rent ? would the Motorola / Arris SB6183 SURFboard Cable Modem be better faster than the xfinity gatway all in one ? I don't use the wifi in the xfinity gateway. I use the netgear ac3200 for that.

6. bro67 Win User
    Buy your own modem a wired Gateway/Firewall and a Access Point that allows for POE.

It is easier to upgrade your infrastructure if you use separate equipment to do the tasks, instead of buying an all-in-one and end up getting cheap parts.

bro67, Feb 15, 2016
  7. bro67 Win User
    I use an Engenius ECB-320 for Wireless-N in my house. If I move up to Wireless-AC, I can move the current one to take place of a Trendnet A/P that only handles b/g.

The best thing is that I can setup 4 VLAN's with it, so that I can separate guests from our main network.

I get coverage up to 150' around my house with up to 50 mb/s down.

bro67, Feb 15, 2016
  8. WHS
    whs Win User

buy or rent

Purchase is always cheaper in the long run. If you rent, you only pay the bank interests.

9. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

While true in this case it's not always true -- if say you can make MORE money by spending out less up front than the costs of rental -- well you see how it goes --but this isn't a Financial Advice Forum so i'll leave that alone.

Suffice to say you might be better off waiting a little while until the new high speed wifi standards are regularized and ISP's roll them out.

there's a whole load of Wifi improvements coming out which should make for most domestic consumers the idea of WIRED LAN's absolutely DEAD --by all means connect a NAS box with a bit of LAN cable to the router if the NAS box is near the cable box (in most houses this tends to be near the main TV set) but hopefully the days of running LAN cables over the place will soon be History.

(Anybody owning shares in Copper companies --unload them quick !!).

BTW there's nothing to stop you even with a SLOW (i.e old B/G standard) connection from your main wireless router to then provide an INTERNAL home fast N band LAN --works fine for Local media streaming etc -- My NAS box (using an HP GEN8 microserver) has two LAN ports on it so no probs with separate networks.

(Note your primary router must then support VLAN so check before you buy if you want to do this type of stuff).

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

buy or rent

1. buy or rent - Similar Threads - buy rent

2. i buyed a headset that has jute one wire. i want to config it with my computer but i cant...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i buyed a headset that has jute one wire. i want to config it with my computer but i cant...: i have ak17 gaming headset and when im using aux cable , headset cant recognize left sounds and right sounds and when i dont use aux cable , my microphone doesnt working please help me!!!...
  3. i buyed a headset that has jute one wire. i want to config it with my computer but i cant...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    i buyed a headset that has jute one wire. i want to config it with my computer but i cant...: i have ak17 gaming headset and when im using aux cable , headset cant recognize left sounds and right sounds and when i dont use aux cable , my microphone doesnt working please help me!!!...
  4. i buyed a headset that has jute one wire. i want to config it with my computer but i cant...

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. I'm buying an old laptop with Windows 8 Pro. Can I upgrade to Windows 10 Pro for free or...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I'm buying an old laptop with Windows 8 Pro. Can I upgrade to Windows 10 Pro for free or...: I'm buying a used HP laptop that has had all it's data including the original OS completely wiped via Blancco. The units original OS was Windows 8 Pro. I'm assuming the method to reinstall Windows is by using the Media Creation tool via USB. If I do this will the device...
  6. I'm buying an old laptop with Windows 8 Pro. Can I upgrade to Windows 10 Pro for free or...

I'm buying an old laptop with Windows 8 Pro. Can I upgrade to Windows 10 Pro for free or...: I'm buying a used HP laptop that has had all it's data including the original OS completely wiped via Blancco. The units original OS was Windows 8 Pro. I'm assuming the method to reinstall Windows is by using the Media Creation tool via USB. If I do this will the device...
  7. I'm buying an old laptop with Windows 8 Pro. Can I upgrade to Windows 10 Pro for free or...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Store location based on Windows regional setting => Expats can never buy anything in the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Store location based on Windows regional setting => Expats can never buy anything in the...: My Windows regional setting is set to a different country to the place where I live. Trying to buy something in the Windows Store, the country and postcode are fixed to my Windows setting.How can I ever buy anything?...
  9. Store location based on Windows regional setting => Expats can never buy anything in the...

Store location based on Windows regional setting => Expats can never buy anything in the...: My Windows regional setting is set to a different country to the place where I live. Trying to buy something in the Windows Store, the country and postcode are fixed to my Windows setting.How can I ever buy anything?...
  10. Unable to rent or buy Movies from Microsoft store

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Unable to rent or buy Movies from Microsoft store: I cant use the $ on my M acount 2 rent or buy MOVIES ***Original title: help*** https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-rent-or-buy-movies-from-microsoft-store/112b07cf-d74f-48e9-be40-71b5c9dc3879"