Windows 10: Buying instead of the Free Upgrade of Win10

Discus and support Buying instead of the Free Upgrade of Win10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; How many folks are planning to buy the Win10 Pro version when it is released? I am going to buy a full copy when it is comes out. A year does not last... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by John Pombrio, Jun 3, 2015.

1. Buying instead of the Free Upgrade of Win10

How many folks are planning to buy the Win10 Pro version when it is released? I am going to buy a full copy when it is comes out. A year does not last very long and then we will need to buy it anyways.

Hopefully MS will include a discount for us early buyers or for those with Win7 or Win8.1 licenses.

EDIT: Oops, I did NOT realize that the free upgrade was permanent! The confusion was caused by the One Year to cash in on the free upgrade! I thought that it was free only for one year and then you had to buy a permanent license.

:)

John Pombrio, Jun 3, 2015

2. Opting out of the free Win10 upgrade

To cancel reservation follow the below steps:

•Click/tap on the Get Windows 10 app icon on the taskbar notification area.

•Click/tap on the "hamburger" style menu button at the top left corner in the Get Windows 10 app.

•Click/tap on View confirmation under Getting the upgrade.

•Click/tap on the Cancel reservation link.

•Click/tap on Cancel reservation to confirm.

•Click/tap on Close.

This will cancel the reservation

or

Can I uninstall the Reservation completely from my computer?

Click Start (or press Windows key + S for Windows 8.1 users)

Type: view installed updates

Hit Enter on your keyboard

Look through the list for the KB3035583 and KB2976978 update.

Right click each update and click Uninstall.

Andre Da Costa, Jun 3, 2015
  3. Opting out of the free Win10 upgrade

I am an AOL member and use Win 7 in a Toshiba Satellite laptop. I received an offer of a free upgrade to the new Win 10 operating system but have changed my mind. How can I opt out of this change before it occurs automatically? - A.L.

ArthurLandy, Jun 3, 2015
  4. Dude Win User

Buying instead of the Free Upgrade of Win10

I'm waiting to see how things iron out. Supposedly if you have a retail version it may remain a retail version(Transferable). I own several copies of W7 and W8. Will go with free upgrade first with a few licenses and see what happens before deciding.

Dude, Jun 3, 2015
  5. Boozad Win User
    Does the bolded part mean you think that the W10 license will run out after one year? It won't, if you upgrade a retail version of 7/8/8.1 those retail privelages carry over to the 10 license. Sorry if I read your post wrong.

Either way I'll buy a copy anyway.

Boozad, Jun 3, 2015
  6. I'm under the impression that once you upgrade to win 10 they will give you a normal product key. You should be able to reinstall windows after the 1 year period with this key without a problem.

bobsagetfullhou, Jun 3, 2015
  7. Banzi Win User
    I would buy a full copy of the Pro x64 version if they had a good discount on it, even though it is free for 1 year I would still like to have a official disc as a backup.

Banzi, Jun 3, 2015
  8. LittleJay Win User

I will also buy a retail copy of W10. I only have a single license for both W8.1 Pro and W7 Home Premium and I don't want to give either OS up.

LittleJay, Jun 4, 2015
  9. Nope, I completely misinterpreted the "one year" part. I updated my original post. I will leave the post tho in case anyone else got the same impression as me that the upgrade itself was good for a limited time instead of the true answer that the OFFER for a free upgrade was only good for a year.

I have tons of Win 7 and Win 8.1 licenses from Technet that I can convert over (hopefully technet licenses work for this).

John Pombrio, Jun 4, 2015
  10. I'm using Windows 8.1, so upgrading should be a better choice anyway.

linhhuynh3112, Jun 4, 2015
  11. owensjc Win User
    Have any of your technet licensed machines shown the "reserve windows 10" icon in the taskbar?
    Mine have not, so I'm thinking they may not be eligible for the upgrade.

owensjc, Jun 4, 2015
  12. Of course the Technet keys are not eligible for the upgrade. Those are for testing! Besides if you have an active Technet account you can get Windows 10 the same way you get every version of Windows on Technet.

But of course Technet Subscription has gone away so one will not be exploiting that any more.

logicearth, Jun 4, 2015
  13. Buying instead of the Free Upgrade of Win10

Kind of sort of. My desktop PC is running Windows 8.1 Pro with a TechNet key, but I also added Media Center. I was able to reserve my upgrade via the notifications ICON.

alphanumeric, Jun 5, 2015
  14. My TechNet and MSDN keys are listed as Retail Keys. Was also able to reserve my upgrade on a PC using a TechNet key, I think anyway. I also added Media Center, not sure if that matters or not.

15. Anyway, since I have MSDN, I won't be buying Windows 10. I'll get keys when its released anyway, and ISO's to download. If I didn't have MSDN, I likely still wouldn't buy it, I'd go the free upgrade route. I have limited finances which means I go cheap most of the time.

Thema:

1. Buying instead of the Free Upgrade of Win10 - Similar Threads - Buying instead Free

2. Is Win8 upgraded to WIn10 free ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is Win8 upgraded to WIn10 free ?: Same as the question. 1 Do I need a new Win10 product key ? 2 Do I need to enter the old Win8 product key ? I don't know my Win8 key as it was bought many years ago. Thank you for answering....
  3. Is Win8 upgraded to WIn10 free ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is Win8 upgraded to WIn10 free ?: Same as the question. 1 Do I need a new Win10 product key ? 2 Do I need to enter the old Win8 product key ? I don't know my Win8 key as it was bought many years ago. Thank you for answering....
  4. Free upgrade from Win 7 to Win10?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Free upgrade from Win 7 to Win10?: My partner has Windows 7 installed on her PC. It also has a nasty virus. I want to erase her hard drive and upgrade to Windows 10. I've read articles that indicate the upgrade is still free, if done through Windows updates. I can't find anything confirming that it's still...
  5. Free upgrade from Win 7 to Win10?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Free upgrade from Win 7 to Win10?: My partner has Windows 7 installed on her PC. It also has a nasty virus. I want to erase her hard drive and upgrade to Windows 10. I've read articles that indicate the upgrade is still free, if done through Windows updates. I can't find anything confirming that it's still...
  6. Win10 free upgrade version

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win10 free upgrade version: After Win10 download, pc settings needs to be reset manually again. But Win10 is demanding to reactive Windows, What? Windows isn't Activated, pressed the button to activate - nothing happens? >2nd question, after upgrading to win10, system is rejecting owner to enter Devise...
  7. Win8 purchased Win10 free upgrade Now Reinstall Win10

Win8 purchased Win10 free upgrade Now Reinstall Win10: Originally, I purchased Windows 8 and installed it on my Mac with Parallels. After installing, Microsoft offered a free upgrade to Windows 10. I now want to remove Windows from Parallels and reinstall it using BootCamp. How can I do this? I do not have Windows 10 on disc or...
  8. Win10 free upgrade after reformatting

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Win10 free upgrade after reformatting: EDIT: For future reference, when resetting (reformat) your windows 10 PC, you won't need to reinstall your OS. I'm not sure if its the same thing for when you completely wipe your PC though. [How to Reset Your Windows 10 PC] We've only bought the Win8 disk and got the Win...
  9. (clean) Win10 Free Upgrade: Multiple systems?

(clean) Win10 Free Upgrade: Multiple systems?: We have ~40 Windows 8.1 Pro OEM workstations, which should qualify for the free upgrade to Windows 10. However, I do not wish to do an upgrade. I would much rather re-image their disks. (All user data is stored in roaming profiles, and we have software to automate...
  10. Question About Free Upgrade To Win10

in Windows 10 Support
    Question About Free Upgrade To Win10: I am confused about the one year free upgrade. Is it free as in upgrade for a year and it is yours to have forever? Or is it free for one year and then you have to pay even though you already upgraded? 5215