Windows 10: Buying SSD

Discus and support Buying SSD in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hey guys, i decided to buy a SSD... My requirements: 120gb(no more i install only windows + apps like browser,office,personal apps(10GB) vlc,winrar... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by jaknapceu, Apr 18, 2016.

1. jaknapceu Win User

Buying SSD

Hey guys, i decided to buy a SSD...
    My requirements:
    120gb(no more i install only windows + apps like browser,office,personal apps(10GB) vlc,winrar etc..)

But here is problem : Price - ?? Something to 50

I found Sandisk SSD Plus 120GB for 44 on Amazon.

But second problem is : It must be delivered to Slovakia.

Thanks. *Smile

:)

jaknapceu, Apr 18, 2016

2. reinstalling the same wins10 on a different SSD

so i am planning to buy a new ssd for my laptop, but my laptop only has 1 ssd slot. How do I reinstall my windows 10 in my new ssd without buying a new wins10

Chester Yu, Apr 18, 2016
  3. buying Win User
    Windows 10 Install - Blue screen

I had this happen last night as well when trying to "upgrade". I had to cold boot and it automatically reinstalled my Windows 7 Pro, but I'm getting a ton of script errors and invalid dll pop ups so I'm assuming I'm stuck with a little bit of Windows
    10 residual. Doing the reboot allowed me to make my machine function again so I can research whether I have to go to a restore point or figure out how to get the upgrade to complete properly.

buying, Apr 18, 2016
  4. WHS
    whs Win User

Buying SSD

Is there no Amazon in Slowakia.

5. jaknapceu Win User
    From German Amazon I can deliver it to Slovakia *Smile

jaknapceu, Apr 18, 2016
  6. AndreTen Win User
    You can get 240 GB for extra 5. 120 is acceptable, but what if you try to dual boot Windows Insider and install a game or two?

BTW: Sandisk Plus is OK.

AndreTen, Apr 18, 2016
  7. I have had bad experiences with Sandisk USBs and MicroSDs. I highly doubt their SSDs are any good. They tend (for me) to be unreliable and die quickly. If I were @jaknapceu I would go for a Samsung SSD (1st preference), then maybe an Intel, Crucial (Micron?), or Kingston.

@jaknapceu: I would say more space is almost always better if the price is right. 120GB may be all you need, but in the end Windows is bigger than you think. Tack on room for future updates, drivers, apps and softwares, and very soon that 120 is filled up. Some SSDs also require unallocated space at the end of the disk, for overprovisioning that the drive's firmware silently makes use of, so take that into account. I would go for a 256 minimum, or 512, to give yourself a nice space buffer so you have extra room. They are not much more expensive than a 128. I actually just bought a 500GB Samsung SSD for my ultrabook less than an hour ago on Amazon, for only $165.xx. Not a bad deal.

AnonVendetta, Apr 19, 2016
  8. AndreTen Win User

Buying SSD

I have to disagree to almost all of you choices, except for Samsung. Intel's and Kingston's consumer drives are among worst. They are still good if replacing HD, but can get better drives if you are really on budget.

If you can't afford the Samsung, you can get any cheap drive and it will probably serve you well. Try some local stores, since Amazon doesn't ship free in your country. I think Edigital is in your country and they ship for free over 50 . They have Kingston HyperX Fury 240 for 67 , and this drive is quite good.

Edit: i know it is funny, that I disagree with Kingston in the first place an then recommend it. Such is life *Smile
    HyperX was quite expensive before, not in consumer league...

AndreTen, Apr 19, 2016
  9. WHS
    whs Win User
    Do you habe any statistical proof for your state,memts - else they are just throw-away comments. I have very good experience with Sandisk including their SSDs.

10. BunnyJ New Member
    I would simply go for a name brand that's around 250Gb.

BunnyJ, Apr 19, 2016
  11. @ whs: No, I don't have statistical proof for my comments, and don't need it. I'm not a statistician/researcher and I don't normally keep logs/journals of my computing activities.What I said is simply a personal *OPINION*, due to my previous bad experience with Sandisk products. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, and it should be fairly obvious that I was just stating an opinion. If I was trying to prove something, then it would be reasonable to expect me to provide proof. I just *BELIEVE* that Sandisk SSDs are probably no better than any of their products I've tried.

AnonVendetta, Apr 19, 2016
  12. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

+1 and I'm still using some them for about 8 years now.

An excellent shop in Germany which I'm pretty sure delivers to TS' country is Alternate. Never had any problem with it and they're deliver very fast.

Other brands I can recommend are Mushkin , OCZ to name just a few.
    I agree that for the money you may as well go for a drive in the 240 to 256 Gb range. The price difference with most 120 Gb drive is negligible and the extra real estate is always useful.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Apr 19, 2016
  13. CountMike New Member

Buying SSD

The way it is right now with SSDs is that brand matters only for high end drives while at consumer grade most are about same quality and speeds. It's quite safe to go for consumer grade (read as cheaper ones) of let's say 240GB as opposed to 120 "Big brand name" of same price.
    Durability is not big concern any more, even lesser brands give 5 year warranty on their SSDs. Another thing, there's very few factories that make chips and controllers for SSDs so it's very likely some more expensive SSDs contain same electronics as cheaper ones.
    It's also very likely that anything you buy now will be obsolete in a couple/ few years time and today's SSD will surely last that long before you look for something "New and improved".

CountMike, Apr 19, 2016
  14. WHS
    whs Win User
    I would not be amazed if all the SSDs came from the same factories like the HDDs do.

15. msny Win User
    I have both a Samsung EVO 500gig and an Intel 128gig.
    I have not had any issues with either fast and reliable.

Thema:

Buying SSD

1. Buying SSD - Similar Threads - Buying SSD

2. pc full of trojans and malware after buying a new not so new apparantly SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    pc full of trojans and malware after buying a new not so new apparantly SSD: i Bought what i was thinking a new ssd. apears it was a ssd someone put some viruses on and than send it back to the store. but now my pc is full of trojans, malware and unwanted files. i am running Farbar Recovery scan tool now. but i really need some help here cuz i dont...
  3. pc full of trojans and malware after buying a new not so new apparantly SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    pc full of trojans and malware after buying a new not so new apparantly SSD: i Bought what i was thinking a new ssd. apears it was a ssd someone put some viruses on and than send it back to the store. but now my pc is full of trojans, malware and unwanted files. i am running Farbar Recovery scan tool now. but i really need some help here cuz i dont...
  4. pc full of trojans and malware after buying a new not so new apparantly SSD

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Do I need to buy Windows again with my new PC even though I'll be putting in my old M.2 SSD?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Do I need to buy Windows again with my new PC even though I'll be putting in my old M.2 SSD?: I'm buying a new PC with all new parts except my current M.2 SSD drive which is running Windows 11 will go into me new PC. Saves me having to buy a new SSD and cloning all my data. Is my current Windows serial number linked to my old motherboard and PC and will I have to...
  6. Do I need to buy Windows again with my new PC even though I'll be putting in my old M.2 SSD?

Do I need to buy Windows again with my new PC even though I'll be putting in my old M.2 SSD?: I'm buying a new PC with all new parts except my current M.2 SSD drive which is running Windows 11 will go into me new PC. Saves me having to buy a new SSD and cloning all my data. Is my current Windows serial number linked to my old motherboard and PC and will I have to...
  7. Will I need to buy windows to replace the ssd of a Lenovo laptop that came with windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Will I need to buy windows to replace the ssd of a Lenovo laptop that came with windows: Purchased a Lenovo ideapad gaming 3 and I want to upgrade the hdd as it only had 256 gb but I don’t have a windows key and I was wondering if I have to buy it as the computer came with windows 10. I’ve looked around for information but can’t find anything...
  8. Will I need to buy windows to replace the ssd of a Lenovo laptop that came with windows

Will I need to buy windows to replace the ssd of a Lenovo laptop that came with windows: Purchased a Lenovo ideapad gaming 3 and I want to upgrade the hdd as it only had 256 gb but I don’t have a windows key and I was wondering if I have to buy it as the computer came with windows 10. I’ve looked around for information but can’t find anything...
  9. Will I need to buy windows to replace the ssd of a Lenovo laptop that came with windows

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  10. Can I clone my SSD and not have to buy a new Windows license on the new drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I clone my SSD and not have to buy a new Windows license on the new drive?: Can I clone my SSD and not have to buy a new Windows license on the new drive? As im planning on moving from a 128 gb ssd to 500gb https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-clone-my-ssd-and-not-have-to-buy-a-new/445c1812-9c7e-412f-85fd-5f6903327861