Windows 10: C: Drive and D: Drive files switched after upgrade

Discus and support C: Drive and D: Drive files switched after upgrade in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Sorry, didn't exactly know where to post this. So recently I had my Windows Vista upgraded to Windows 10 (also upgraded various hardware). Today I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ne0nn0se, Aug 13, 2015.

1. ne0nn0se Win User

C: Drive and D: Drive files switched after upgrade

Sorry, didn't exactly know where to post this.

So recently I had my Windows Vista upgraded to Windows 10 (also upgraded various hardware).
    Today I was fiddling around and customizing it, when I noticed that all of my files that were previously saved on my C: Drive were now on my D: drive, like my Program Files and, well, basically everything I ever downloaded.
    Should I be worried? I've heard that things like Program files are MEANT to be on the C: Drive, whereas the D: drive is meant for windows files...

:)

ne0nn0se, Aug 13, 2015
  2. Marc OXG Win User

Windows Search - Indexed Locations wrong

Well as in my profile drive D is searchable, the results are correctly shown and I can access them. Searching C: doesn't bring up any results. I remember however having the situation that I could add drive C: in the indexing options but NOT drive D: The
    funny thing is that after rebuilding the index the results searching files on C: where indicated starting with letter D: . As such the results where not useable as the path was wrong. But I dont know how to reproduce this.

I remember that more than a year ago the 2 drives where switched. D: (SSD drive) was the C: drive with the OS and the C: (normal 1TB Harrdisk) was the D: drive. But they where switched. Could it be that somehow the identity for the search is not only the
    drive letter but some other IDs. And that this ID (former D: drive) was transferred with the system image when the drives were switched? This would explain that on both drives this ID is the same and still beeing matched to D:?

This however would imply that the search is not referring to the drives as letters only.

It however would not explain why the search is correct in the other (new) profile.

Thanks for any thoughts and help,

Marc

Marc OXG, Aug 13, 2015
  3. Edit partitions while installing Windows 10

What about increasing the C: drive partition after upgrading to Windows 10? I have a Recovery D: drive from Windows 7 that I would like to add to the C: drive primary partition but Windows 10 stuck in a Volume (no drive letter) labeled Healthy (Recovery
    Partition) between the c: drive partition and the d: drive partition that seems to disallow me from increasing the size of the C: drive by incorporating the D: drive after it is wiped of all data files (no need for Win 7 recovery). Any ideas how I can add
    these 20GB to the C: drive?

Kenneth Goodwin, Aug 13, 2015
  4. C: Drive and D: Drive files switched after upgrade

Please post a couple of screenshots of file explorer open at your c and d drives.

Something like this

C: Drive and D: Drive files switched after upgrade [​IMG]

Torquemada, Aug 13, 2015
  5. ne0nn0se Win User

All of my downloaded programs are located in the D: Drive

ne0nn0se, Aug 13, 2015
  6. Ztruker Win User
    Looks like you have Windows 10 on C: and Vista on D: (going by the dates of the folders shown).

Make sure you check that Windows 10 is Activated as not doing an upgrade means it will not activate is it's the free version from Microsoft.

Right clik on This PC and go to the bottom of the window.

Ztruker, Aug 13, 2015
  7. bobkn Win User
    The default is to have the OS on C:, and program files there as well. 64 bit programs go in Program Files, and 32 bit ones in Program Files (X86).

The mess that you have now may be partly related to it not being allowed to upgrade Vista to Windows 10. Your new 10 installation is in the default location. Whoever installed 10 should have tidied things up for you.

bobkn, Aug 13, 2015
  8. ne0nn0se Win User

Thank you to both of you for replying.

Ztruker, I did as you said, and went to the Properties of This PC and it said that Windows is activated, though I'm still not clear on what that means.

Now that I understand the situation better, can someone tell me the necessary steps to fix it? Should I transfer all of my program files/files that are on D: to C: ?

ne0nn0se, Aug 13, 2015
  9. bobkn Win User
    You want Windows to be activated. Win 10 will run for a time without activation, but I don't know for how long.

It's not easy to move program files if they were installed. (Installed programs make entries in the Windows Registry. Experts can move them; I can't.) Do the programs still run at all?

bobkn, Aug 14, 2015
  10. ne0nn0se Win User
    When I say, "move," I mean copy program files from D: to C:, then possibly delete the D: drive original copy.

No, when I try to access programs located in D: from the file explorer, they simply fail to open. No process appears in the task manager, nothing. However, programs I re-downloaded on Windows 10 are able to use program files from the D:/Vista drive just fine.

Should I just reinstall all programs I want/need on Windows 10? Should I leave the Vista side alone... or should I clean it all up?

ne0nn0se, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. C: Drive and D: Drive files switched after upgrade - Similar Threads - Drive Drive files

2. Switch C: drive with D: drive and move Program Files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Switch C: drive with D: drive and move Program Files: I have a desktop HP computer tha has a C: drive SSD of 237 GB . Windows 10 is loaded there and by default all Program File and Program Data. The other drive D: is a Hard drive with 931 GB. C: is almost full. How do I move all the Program Files etc to D: and only leave C: only...
  3. Switch C: drive with D: drive and move Program Files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Switch C: drive with D: drive and move Program Files: I have a desktop HP computer tha has a C: drive SSD of 237 GB . Windows 10 is loaded there and by default all Program File and Program Data. The other drive D: is a Hard drive with 931 GB. C: is almost full. How do I move all the Program Files etc to D: and only leave C: only...
  4. Switch C: drive with D: drive and move Program Files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. C drive and D drive switches up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    C drive and D drive switches up: Recently my cpu was hitting 100c so i changed the cooler and now its fine. But in the proces of doing so I accidently unplugged the sata cable from my hdd and plugged it back in. Since I did that now my c drive is my ssd and my d drive is my hdd. And now my c drive is...
  6. C drive and D drive switches up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    C drive and D drive switches up: Recently my cpu was hitting 100c so i changed the cooler and now its fine. But in the proces of doing so I accidently unplugged the sata cable from my hdd and plugged it back in. Since I did that now my c drive is my ssd and my d drive is my hdd. And now my c drive is...
  7. C drive and D drive switches up

8. Switch up my C and D drive

Switch up my C and D drive: Hello, I have decided to reinstall my Windows 10, because previously my windows has installed on C drive - which is for some reason 1TB HDD, and then D drive - which is 128 SSD. I would like to ask how can I switch these two so my windows can install on SSD marked as C...
  9. How to switch C: and D: drive

How to switch C: and D: drive: Hi all! I have this weird problem where my C: drive is de HDD and the SSD in my system is the D: drive. Yesterday I used the paid version of AOMEI to clone the Windows 10 system to the SSD. That worked for the evening. Today, when I booted my system up, everything was...
  10. C drive and D drive

C drive and D drive: Hi, I was looking through my files and found my brother's files on my D drive. I asked him to move it to C drive so that it wouldn't appear on my D drive, but when I checked my C drive, he's files were there. I share a laptop with my brother and have our own accounts. Is the...