Windows 10: C drive got extra stuff

Discus and support C drive got extra stuff in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello, On turning on my computer, took a note of C: drive proprties, it was 31.7 GB.Not installed any updates, not downloaded anything, just installed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Motim, Aug 20, 2017.

1. Motim Win User

C drive got extra stuff

Hello,
    On turning on my computer, took a note of C: drive proprties, it was 31.7 GB.Not installed any updates, not downloaded anything, just installed on a usb stick the
    "portable apps. platform" and some portable apps there.When done, I noticed that C: properties gained 1.2 GB.Used ccleaner and disk cleaner - they did not find anything.Where are these extra files / whatever, and how to clean them.
    Answers will be appreciated.
    Thanks

:)

Motim, Aug 20, 2017
  2. TomDeus Win User

D drive

My laptop came preinstalled with Windows 7 so ii have normal C drive with all my stuff plus D drive with all original Windows i guess so i can recover from a disaster on C.

After an upgrade to Windows 10 what do i do with D drive. Can i delete everything on it and use it for extra storage?

TomDeus, Aug 20, 2017
  3. Owen N Win User
    Time service faults in windows 10

I see the ASUS bios has an option called UEFI boot.

This allows editing extra boot lines, and entering an efi filepath.

I added an extra line, and it now shows as [uefi: 8.07]

Questions:

I see that the stuff on the flash drive incudes .efi files.

1) Is the USB drive normally mounted at boot time, so the BIOS can see it?

2) If not, can the data be moved to the main C: filesystem, and boot from

there?

3) what would be the correct efi file to use?

eg F:\efi\boot\bootx64.efi ??

It is a bit hard to find this stuff on Google.

***further edit***

I tried it. It seemed to boot OK.

I selected full clean install.

I got the messages, "cannot install on this hard drive under efi due to

MBR tables in place. Must be formatted NTFS."

It refuses to format any of the partitions 1-4

drive 0C drive got extra stuff :partition 2 is the system one.

Questions:

1) Does this operation preserve my data files? the text is unclear on that.

2) my backup is in the D: partition on the same machine. Should it be external?

how do I save my data and not the system stuff?

3) is there any way round the problem? my DVD drive is a read-only unit, according to the manual.

Owen N, Aug 20, 2017
  4. C drive got extra stuff

I'm a big fan of a program called WinDirStat to show you what's on your hard drive and what's taking up the space. It's available through the PortableApps.com platform you mention, too.

DeaconFrost, Aug 20, 2017
  5. Motim Win User
    Hello,
    Thanks for the answer.
    I know what is on my drive, used the program and could not find anything new the size of almost 1.2 GB. As I wrote before, no new installation, no update/s.
    One hour its 31.7 GB, an hour or so later its 32.9 GB, I wonder.
    I even searched what files were "new born" according to the date but did not find any.
    Thanks again

Motim, Aug 21, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    You can't see everything that's on your drive. There's one folder in particular you don't have access to. It's the hidden system folder on the root of the drive: 'System Volume Information'.

One of the things this folder is used for is to store the files and data for restore points, and a 1.2GB increase is about what I'd expect for creating a new restore point.

While you cannot (and shouldn't) directly access this folder, you can indirectly manipulate it by controlling the functions that use it. In this case it would be System Protection. With System Protection turned on a new restore point is created automatically about once a week.

Go to the Control Panel and look for 'System Protection' in 'System'. Here you can set the upper limit for space allocated to restore points, delete all restore points, turn system protection on or off, or even make a new restore point.
    Turn On or Off System Protection for Drives in Windows 10

If you'd prefer just to delete all but the latest restore point, then use Disk Cleanup's 'clean up system files', Option Two here:
    Delete System Restore Points in Windows 10

Bree, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

C drive got extra stuff

1. C drive got extra stuff - Similar Threads - drive got extra

2. my drive c: got formatted

in Windows 10 Gaming
    my drive c: got formatted: please help me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-drive-c-got-formatted/6e23008b-6bd4-4170-9d3a-ee884c6df4ab
  3. C drive got full and system got locked

in Windows 10 Gaming
    C drive got full and system got locked: My C drive's storage on Windows 11 got full and my system got locked. While trying to sign in, I'm getting the error message: "Your device is offline. Try a different sign-in method".Please suggest a solution....
  4. C drive got full and system got locked

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    C drive got full and system got locked: My C drive's storage on Windows 11 got full and my system got locked. While trying to sign in, I'm getting the error message: "Your device is offline. Try a different sign-in method".Please suggest a solution....
  5. C drive got completely fulled

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    C drive got completely fulled: Hi, My name is nil. Actually today my pc windown 10 C drive got completely fulled. Thats why I'm facing some problem.Can you tell me how to clean or free up the C drive space as soon as it possible.waiting for your reply...
  6. C drive got completely fulled

in Windows 10 Gaming
    C drive got completely fulled: Hi, My name is nil. Actually today my pc windown 10 C drive got completely fulled. Thats why I'm facing some problem.Can you tell me how to clean or free up the C drive space as soon as it possible.waiting for your reply...
  7. C drive got completely fulled

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Drive C got Write-Protected!

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Drive C got Write-Protected!: Hello everyone... It was few days ago, Noticed My Computer's Drive C has gotten Write-Protected...I did all the things about registry-key, CMD commands and some other things...It Would Be Great If You Show Me The Way To Fix It and GET OUT OF THIS MADNESS : Sorry for bad...
  9. C drive extra folder

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    C drive extra folder: Actually ...i dont know what happen but when i open my c drive i saw too many extra folders like $sysreset ,Oem, intel, program data ,recovery and all they are little dull in colour faded .so can anyone tell me is it safe to delete these folders .or what happen to my system...
  10. extra drives

in Windows 10 Customization
    extra drives: extra drives showing when I double click my computer I have tried this NOTE: If you are using 64-bit edition of Windows 10, you may notice that the drive icon is still present in "Browse" dialog box such as Save, Save as or Open in some 3rd party 32-bit programs. To remove...