Windows 10: C: drive wrong format

Discus and support C: drive wrong format in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; some how and not knowing when my C drive on my laptop became a format GPT? I noticed it when trying to do a re deploy using Macrium. right now I am... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by shipinomore10, Feb 15, 2016.

1. C: drive wrong format

some how and not knowing when my C drive on my laptop became a format GPT?
    I noticed it when trying to do a re deploy using Macrium.
    right now I am doing a clean all.
    could some tell me what steps to be sure it will be ntfs when I will be re installing 1511 10586 which I just created.
    Will a clean install put everything right?
    Shipinomore

:)

shipinomore10, Feb 15, 2016
  2. JimWynne Win User

I HATE WINDOWS 10 !!!!!!!!!

This is wrong, wrong, wrong, and you've already been apprised of that fact by more than one person in this very thread. You need to make sure you know what you're talking about before talking.

JimWynne, Feb 15, 2016
  3. Romaneus Win User
    Mistakenly Format C Drive

Probably Windows 10 was activated on this laptop, so you need only to reinstall Windows 10. You can create bootable media HERE. You don't need type
    in any product key during installation on that laptop, it will be activated automatically anyway.

Romaneus, Feb 15, 2016
  4. Ztruker Win User

C: drive wrong format

NTFS is a file system type, like FAT or FAT32.
    GPT is a drive structure format like MBR, either of which can have a file system format of NTFS or FAT32, NTFS being the one to use.
    GPT requires a computer that has a EFI BIOS. It's what all new computers come with.

Not sure why you wanted to get rid of it as what you had should have been fine.
    What problem were you trying to solve. Was it a redeployment issue?

Edit: Forgot to say, a clean install will not change the drive format from GPT to MBR, nor should you do that unless you have a really good reason to do so. If absolutely required you would have tio convert the drive from GPT to MBR.

Ztruker, Feb 16, 2016
  5. Hi Ztruker; I tried to redeploy a image of a hp AIO that the monitor was going bad fast. I wanted to put it on a laptop that I use for win 10 insider tests. the restore went fine but could not get it to boot. using disk mgmt all of my other pc's show c: as ntfs so since the laptop showed fat32 lba I figured it was the problem
    after clean all and reinstalling build 10586 all seems well.
    Macrium has been helping and will see what they answer.
    shipinomore.
    thank you for your responding.

shipinomore10, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

C: drive wrong format

1. C: drive wrong format - Similar Threads - drive wrong format

2. my drive c: got formatted

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    my drive c: got formatted: please help me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-drive-c-got-formatted/6e23008b-6bd4-4170-9d3a-ee884c6df4ab
  3. Format C Drive To Save Data

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Format C Drive To Save Data: If i format my c drive to keep my files, i know apps will be deleted and microsoft C++ visual will deleted as well. After format C drive, can i reinstall all microsoft c++ visual versions like all redistributable versions and recent windows update? And is my game files still...
  4. Format C Drive To Save Data

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Format C Drive To Save Data: If i format my c drive to keep my files, i know apps will be deleted and microsoft C++ visual will deleted as well. After format C drive, can i reinstall all microsoft c++ visual versions like all redistributable versions and recent windows update? And is my game files still...
  5. Format C Drive To Save Data

in Windows 10 Gaming
  6. C: Drive Formatting.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    C: Drive Formatting.: I have had Windows 10 for a while but now ive installed on another Drive called D drive on to my new SSD D: drive and it's been running fine on D drive for months and I want to format all of the c drive to use for new storage item whatever they me. Will that be ok to go...
  7. Windows 10 Formatted the C: Drive

Windows 10 Formatted the C: Drive: I have Windows 10 on my System(I'm using my Chromebook to write this) and I formatted the C: Drive and I can't get the ISO to work and I don't have a blank DVD and I really need my Windows 10 System Back, but I don't have any other computer running Windows or any OS that...
  8. Windows 10 Formatting the C: Drive

Windows 10 Formatting the C: Drive: I have Windows 10 on my System(I'm using my Chromebook to write this) and I formatted the C: Drive and I can't get the ISO to work and I don't have a blank DVD and I really need my Windows 10 System Back. Sincerely, CommentedBat...
  9. wrong name on c drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    wrong name on c drive: Hello the user name on my c drive is richo, I would like to change it to richone. please could you tell me in simple terms how to do this please. I have reset my computer but it still comes up as this. Thank you...
  10. Full format of my 'C' Drive

Full format of my 'C' Drive: I am just about to do a re-install of Windows 10 and am wondering if I can first do a very thorough clean-up of my 'C' drive first by doing a full format before carrying our the reinstall. I am just about to look for the USB stick with Windows 10 on it, I think that it...