Windows 10: C ssd

Discus and support C ssd in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; My ssd c drive is saying I have 51GB of apps & games on my drive & I don't ... How do I fix it ??? 37724 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Queststreet773, Jan 16, 2016.

1. C ssd

My ssd c drive is saying I have 51GB of apps & games on my drive & I don't ... How do I fix it ???

:)

Queststreet773, Jan 16, 2016
  2. lacrumb Win User

Windows installation

Is the SSD partitioned? Is the free space on the System (CC ssd :) drive or on the total SSD?

In File Explorer right click on the C: drive and click on properties.

lacrumb, Jan 16, 2016
  3. The "New apps will save to:" option is grayed out under Save Locations (Storage <- Settings)

If you have 1TB SSD D: drive, what is your C: drive? Can you instead use the 1TB SSD as the C: drive?

Don Cuthbert, Jan 16, 2016
  4. CountMike New Member

C ssd

You most probably do have that much but there's a lot of hidden files and folders. Un-hide them and system files and see what else is there.
    You can also try something like this: Download TreeSize Free - MajorGeeks to find out what takes most space.

CountMike, Jan 16, 2016
  5. not sure what is safe to delete if anything
    C ssd [​IMG]

Queststreet773, Jan 17, 2016
  6. I wouldn't delete anything you're not 110% sure of what it is. If you're concerned about space, I'd recommend uninstalling apps and archiving files onto an external drive or the cloud you don't need access to anymore.

jbdiesellife, Jan 17, 2016
  7. WHS
    whs Win User
    If you don't use hibernation, you could delete the hiberfile (3.2GBs). Use this command:

powercfg -h off

8. eLPuSHeR Win User

C ssd

You could also use the compact command line tool for taking back some space.

Open an cmd window with administrative rights:
    Run the following commands

compact /compactos:always

compact /c /a /i /s /exe:xpress8k "c:\windows\assembly"\*

compact /c /a /i /s /exe:xpress8k "c:\windows\inf"\*

compact /c /a /i /s /exe:xpress8k "c:\windows\InfusedApps"\*

compact /c /a /i /s /exe:xpress8k "c:\windows\installer"\*

compact /c /a /i /s /exe:xpress8k "c:\Program Files"\*

compact /c /a /i /s /exe:xpress8k "c:\Program Files (x86)"\*

Replace C:\ letter for another one if appropiate. Using these commands should allow you to recover about 10 GB+

Keep in mind that after updating some apps (for the Program Files folders) they will get decompressed again so you should invoke compact again. For instance, let's say you have updated Mozilla Firefox x86 -> you should run compact /c /a /i /s /exe:xpress8k "c:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox"\* again

eLPuSHeR, Jan 17, 2016
  9. lx07 Win User
    In addition to the above, also run Disk Cleanup and cleanup system files - that will delete the 5.8GB $Windows.~WS which you don't need.

Have a look in AMD directory. I've no idea what it is but 3.5GB seems rather large if it is just a driver. I have Intel but it is 10% of the size.

It looks like perhaps you have chosen 8GB for you page file (it would help if you filled in your system specs though). I'd suggest you set it to 400MB, reboot and then set it to system managed. See here Virtual Memory Paging File - Change

Anyway, ignore what it says in the storage app it is really very unreliable - check treesize as @CountMike said.

10. CountMike New Member
    Yes, that AMD directory there is just where AMD drivers are unpacked for installation. Once they are installed, there's no reason for keeping them.
    You also have 5.8 GB in $Windows~Ws which can be removed if you don't plan to downgrade Windows, Disk Cleanup can get rid of it. I guess that folder Sources is also part of upgrade/update, it should be in $Windows-Bt folder, not in the root. If that's the case, you can get rid of it with Disk Cleanup.
    After all of that is cleaned up, here's a nice very safe program to clean some more stuff most other methods miss: Download UnCleaner - MajorGeeks

CountMike, Jan 17, 2016
  11. Thank you very much everybody

Queststreet773, Jan 17, 2016
  12. TOUCHDOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! a few months back i hooked my iPHONE to my computer it put everything from my phone onto my computer....... i found it thanks to TREEsize.......thank you CountMike...it was like 45GB my phone is 128GB

Queststreet773, Jan 18, 2016
  13. C ssd

C ssd [​IMG]

Queststreet773, Jan 18, 2016
  14. robgr Win User
    A similar tool is WinDirStat, see here

robgr, Jan 18, 2016
  15. lx07 Win User
    Don't trust TreeSize too much though. It is a good tool but it struggles if you use compression which you do.

You have compressed your Windows directory and TreeSize says it has compressed it from 17.3GB to 6GB. This is complete garbage as you will get a 1.7 compression ratio if you are lucky. Neither the 17.3GB or the 6GB are correct. Definitely the 6GB isn't anyway and the nominal 17GB is meaningless.

I did in fact discuss this with their developers and they said it was too complicated to deal with compressed files so they don't bother.

Look here - my program files directory is apparently compressed 88% from 2.6GB to 313MB (or according to explorer 890MB). My Windows directory is compressed from 18.3GB to 2.9GB (er no it isn't).

C ssd [​IMG]

It is not trivial to decide how to represent disk use but WinDirStat does a better job if you use compression (but it is much slower). According to it my Program Files directory is 1.4GB (which is about right if I look from another system).

C ssd [​IMG]

You can use any of these tools to find big files but don't count on any of them to accurately describe your disk use because they don't (not because they don't want to - it isn't easy to do and it depends what you mean when you ask the quetion).

Thema:

C ssd

1. C ssd - Similar Threads - ssd

2. wanted to multi boot win 10/11 with NVME ssd drive on an old PC with legacy BIOS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    wanted to multi boot win 10/11 with NVME ssd drive on an old PC with legacy BIOS: I have a Dell OptiPlex 780 that I upgraded to windows 10 pro and is working fine. Now I have an NVME ssd drive in a USB enclosure that has windows 11 pro, and I wanted to boot to it from a usb port but my BIOS will not recognize the NVME external drive. Is there a way to...
  3. wanted to multi boot win 10/11 with NVME ssd drive on an old PC with legacy BIOS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    wanted to multi boot win 10/11 with NVME ssd drive on an old PC with legacy BIOS: I have a Dell OptiPlex 780 that I upgraded to windows 10 pro and is working fine. Now I have an NVME ssd drive in a USB enclosure that has windows 11 pro, and I wanted to boot to it from a usb port but my BIOS will not recognize the NVME external drive. Is there a way to...
  4. ssd error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ssd error: what happened to my ssdm.2 nvme do i need to replace it with a new one or is it fixable? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ssd-error/d947cdd4-fa07-4ccf-b0cc-ed2290ad7ccf
  5. ssd error

ssd error: what happened to my ssdm.2 nvme do i need to replace it with a new one or is it fixable? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ssd-error/d947cdd4-fa07-4ccf-b0cc-ed2290ad7ccf
  6. Samsung 970 EVO SSD suddenly disappears from Windows.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Samsung 970 EVO SSD suddenly disappears from Windows.: Specs:OS: Windows 11 Home 23H2 22631.3447CPU: Core i5-8250USSD: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe PCIe 500gb SSDHDD: Seagate ST1000LM035-1RK172After downloading some files onto the SSD, the entire disk disappeared from Windows completely. Event viewer showed Reset to device,...
  7. Samsung 970 EVO SSD suddenly disappears from Windows.

Samsung 970 EVO SSD suddenly disappears from Windows.: Specs:OS: Windows 11 Home 23H2 22631.3447CPU: Core i5-8250USSD: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe PCIe 500gb SSDHDD: Seagate ST1000LM035-1RK172After downloading some files onto the SSD, the entire disk disappeared from Windows completely. Event viewer showed Reset to device,...
  8. M.2 SSD Keep getting stuck in write protection NO way of removing this part 2

in Windows 10 Gaming
    M.2 SSD Keep getting stuck in write protection NO way of removing this part 2: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ssds-keep-getting-stuck-in-write-protection-with/9ff46428-e866-4970-ae88-427db8a69872?page=1 I tried everything mentioned in this thread, but nothing happened. As stated in the question, my SSD has write protection. I...
  9. M.2 SSD Keep getting stuck in write protection NO way of removing this part 2

M.2 SSD Keep getting stuck in write protection NO way of removing this part 2: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ssds-keep-getting-stuck-in-write-protection-with/9ff46428-e866-4970-ae88-427db8a69872?page=1 I tried everything mentioned in this thread, but nothing happened. As stated in the question, my SSD has write protection. I...
  10. M.2 SSD Keep getting stuck in write protection NO way of removing this part 2

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware