Windows 10: C:\Users account name question after clean install

Discus and support C:\Users account name question after clean install in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Due to problems, I just did a clean install of Win 10. Got a surprise in that under C:\Users it created three defaultuser folders and a main named one... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by highstream, Mar 10, 2017.

1. C:\Users account name question after clean install

Due to problems, I just did a clean install of Win 10. Got a surprise in that under C:\Users it created three defaultuser folders and a main named one in the style of "robertj" (not the real one). So I changed the latter under user profile to what I expected, i.e., just my first name, as in "Bob," but still got some unexpected results: 1) on reboot, the Windows login page had both my full name and first name down in the left corner, as if I now had two separate accounts, and 2) the C:\Users entry still is in the style of "robertj." Two questions:

- What should I make of the first? My full name still shows as the Adminstrator account in the User Accounts dialogue, while in the User Profiles box there are two entries, a) NAME\defaultuser0 and NAME\Name, and both seem to be local. My goal was only to change what was showing under C:\Users, not anything else. Do I need to walk something backward?

- Is there a way to change that folder name the next level down from C:\Users to my preferred name?

I hope that's clear. Thanks,

:)

highstream, Mar 10, 2017

2. Windows 10: what install-time information determines user profile name

I solved my problem, not the general one.

My solution works for me, because I had not really use the system, it was still in its original after-clean-install state.

Solution

1. create a local user with name "pjv" and made him Administrator.

Restart to create it user folders

I got next to the "C:\Users\pjveg" a second subfolder "C:\Users\pjv".

2. Remove the original Microsoft-Account-user.

Restart to remove its user folders.

3. Select in Settings>Accounts>Your Account:

Sign in with a Microsoft Account

Use the parameters of your existing Microsoft Account.

Done.

Sorry for bothering you with an apparently trivial question....

, Netherlands

Peter J. Veger, Mar 10, 2017
  3. After windows 10 crash , reinstalling windows 8.1 with a different user name and then clean install of windows 10 there is nofolder with the original user name C/users

Hi,

I will certainly help you with issues facing with User accounts.

The probable cause of this might be your previous user profile might be corrupted or not moved.

In order to understand more about the query please answer the below questions.

• Have you performed a Clean or Custom installation?
    • Are you getting any error messages while creating a user account named "Test"?
    If you were performed a Clean installation
    all your data's including user accounts will be deleted and there wont be any user account folders available. If you were performed a
    Custom installation please check the folder named
    Windows. old
    on C drive.

Please get back to us with an update and we are happy to assist.

Thank you

Danny Kishan, Mar 10, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

C:\Users account name question after clean install

No easy way. And whatever you do don't simply rename it.

dalchina, Mar 10, 2017
  5. Plankton Win User
    I think something went wrong with the clean install. Can you post a picture of your disk management window...the full window please? Under file explorer, in your C drive....when you open your C drive do you have a windows.old folder showing?

Plankton, Mar 10, 2017
  6. Disk mgt window attached. No windows.old because I wanted a complete clean install to deal with a problem that arose after the upgrade from 1511 to 1607. That was discussed at length on another thread a few weeks back (no windows.old turned out to be an unfortunate choice, as later on I absent-mindedly made a new backup that overwrote the existing one, losing some valuable files that are unrecoverable). The latter idiocy aside, Win 10 1607 has turned out to be a real disaster for me. In short order I recreated the problem that led to the clean install, and now restarts are sometimes hanging again (none of this happened with 1511).

C:\Users account name question after clean install [​IMG]

highstream, Mar 10, 2017
  7. mrgeek Win User
    "My goal was only to change what was showing under C:\Users, not anything else."

I suspect that when you set up Win10, you used your Microsoft account and it auto-generated 'robertj' from the email address. If you want all the User folders under This PC to be named 'Bob', then, while signed in as 'robertj', create a Local Acct named 'Bob' in Action Center\Sign in with Local account instead and give it admin privileges, blank password and no MS acct. Verify that a new User profile for 'Bob' was created under C:\Users. It is this move that will create the proper profile paths and reg entries for 'Bob', not any renaming.

I see that you have your data on different partitions but if you have any content in any folders under This PC for 'robertj', move them to the corresponding, new 'Bob' folders; eg-Documents\robertj to Documents\Bob. When you are satisfied that no 'robertj' data has been overlooked, while signed in as Local Account 'Bob', delete 'robertj' as a User in Control Panel\manage another account. You should now only have a Bob, a Public and hidden Default users in C:Users or you can safely delete any others that were inadvertently created and have no data of consequence.

To re-enable your MS account, go to Action Center\Accounts and under 'Bob', elect 'Sign in with Microsoft account'. Next time you reboot, only User showing on log-in screen should be 'Bob' and you can use MS email or set up PIN, like before.

Here's another thread with someone who wanted to rename Users. See my post 4 for resolution similar to yours -
    I keep getting extra users on my sign on screen

mrgeek, Mar 11, 2017
  8. C:\Users account name question after clean install

Thanks, I'll take a look. It's true that it comes from the first name and first letter of the last , noncapitalized. It's interesting that MS didn't do that during any of my clean installs of Win 8 or 8.1, or on upgrading to Win 10 initially.

highstream, Mar 11, 2017
  9. mrgeek Win User
    To avoid this naming problem in the future on a clean install or initial setup, when you get to the screen 'Who will be using ***', fill in desired name and check box- 'do not have MS acct'. Correctly named profile will be created.
    After initial setup finished, THEN fill in 'Sign in with MS acct instead' to convert to MS email acct while retaining desired nameon all 'This PC' folders and under C:Users.
    Only additional step will be to 'verify this MS acct' after you enter email and pass by having them text you a code to enter to double check your password sign-in. Then you can also establish a PIN. Good Luck

mrgeek, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

C:\Users account name question after clean install

1. C:\Users account name question after clean install - Similar Threads - Users account name

2. Clean install Win 10 with no user name.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clean install Win 10 with no user name.: I'm giving my old PC to my daughter and would like to do a clean install of W10 Home 1909. I have a copy of it on USB and I've installed Windows many times before. My question is I don't want the copy to have my name on it. Will it add my name because I'm guessing I will...
  3. User name under C is not the same as the Account name

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    User name under C is not the same as the Account name: We recently bought my husband a new computer. We put in his name, which is Collins as the account name. However, when I go to the C drive his user name shows up as Colli. Is there a way to Change that....
  4. Clean install with Microsoft Account question

Clean install with Microsoft Account question: Hi all, When clean installing using a Microsoft Account how does Windows 10 handle your favourites/bookmarks? I have syncing turned on. During a clean installation are my favourites/bookmarks automatically restored back in to the Edge browser during the setup process or do...
  5. MS accounts & user a/c names

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    MS accounts & user a/c names: i have a registered Windows 10 installed on my 1st hard drive but after Windows Update screwed it up i am doing a clean install onto a 2nd hard drive. but upon install after entering my license key it then prompted me for a user account name and password. I don't have one so...
  6. User name not shown in C:\Users

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    User name not shown in C:\Users: Since updating from Win 7 to Window 10 - I have 'lost' the appropriate user name in C:\users. Therefore when trying to set 2 other computers to recognise this particular laptop is not possible. My account is Local, and the network is private. A visit to C:\users shows the...
  7. Clean install, wrong user name

in Windows 10 Support
    Clean install, wrong user name: I just did a clean install from ISO, The name MS assigned to my username was the first 5 characters of my email account! Not OK! It used to be whatever nickname (i.e. shortname) I had chosen. What gives? 4829
  8. User names and microsoft accounts, and a OneDrive question

User names and microsoft accounts, and a OneDrive question: Hello, I am revamping my system as I migrate to Win 10 Microsoft encourages us to use our Microsoft account to sign in. I do have such an account because I have an Office 365 account I have a desktop and two laptops (one is my wife's) on our home network and would...
  9. After clean install, "Users/Media" folder named incorrectly

After clean install, "Users/Media" folder named incorrectly: I had a problem before the holidays which this group identified correctly as long-term corruption and I solved the issue with a clean 10 install. All now great except...I had to go into the Users/Media path to replace a saved Chrome history file and noticed that the...
  10. Changed user folder name on clean install

Changed user folder name on clean install: Hi Has anyone else had the clean option, drop the last character of their user folder during the install? Example, my user folder was called Julian on 8.1 Therefore c:\Users\Julian\Desktop blah blah blah.... Well now its c:\users\julia\xxxxxxx Somewhat annoying......