Windows 10: C:\Windows10Upgrade - Is it malware?

Discus and support C:\Windows10Upgrade - Is it malware? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hello, So today I booted my Win10 machine to find that it wanted to upgrade because it didn't have the latest security? Something like that... I... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by jakeb, Jul 1, 2016.

1. jakeb Win User

C:\Windows10Upgrade - Is it malware?

Hello,

So today I booted my Win10 machine to find that it wanted to upgrade because it didn't have the latest security? Something like that...

I have to say, something about the UI looked...'off'...I think the MS logo was slightly blurred also which didn't help me believe it more than before.

Either way, I looked at the properties of the new 'Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant' executable that was on my desktop. The exe was located in: C:\Windows10Upgrade, it doesn't look quite right to me, and the fact that I could actually send this to the recycling bin with no issue also didn't seem right.

Just curious to understand why Windows 10 wanted to upgrade to windows 10 and why it is using that directory. VirusTotal scored a 0 and I really can't figure out if it's malware or not.

(Looked through some config files and it appeared legitimate. But can't be sure).

Any ideas?

Thanks.

:)

jakeb, Jul 1, 2016

2. when i try to anniversary update but it show error - Feature update to Windows 10, version 1607 - Error 0x80240031

now it showing -
    Installing Windows 10. Please wait.
    Percent complete:
    2%

We can help you get the latest security enhancements and feature improvements. Click 'Update Now' to get started.

More Information

C:\Windows10Upgrade - Is it malware? [​IMG]

CPU : OK

Memory : OK

Disk space : OK

This will take a while. You can keep working.

Your files will be right where you left them.

You can choose when to start your upgrade.

It's easy to go back if you don't like it.

L:

玩转 Windows 10
    L:

法联网?

You can contact
    Microsoft support
    for help with this error. Here is the error code 0x80070057

AnkitAgrawal_2607, Jul 1, 2016
  3. khe0439 Win User
    Windows10Upgrade Folder on C:

You would think that mvp would have known that disk cleanup would not find c:\windows10Upgrade.

Does anyone know if it can be deleted and how if special.

khe0439, Jul 1, 2016
  4. Kyhi Win User

It would seem funny to me that a Windows 10 OS would want to run a Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant...

The New Windows 10 Upgrade is due out Aug 2...

But if running windows 10 now, then an upgrade assistant seems funny..

Kyhi, Jul 1, 2016
  5. jakeb Win User
    That's what I was thinking :/

Again, looking through the files they appear to be legit, obviously that's what malware would go through, but the logging system seems just a bit too in detail to be malware...

Not sure, either way it's in my recycling bin, hoping to see if it's remade. If it does re-appear I'll delete it again and setup a program to try and see what's making the folder if I can.

​Just thought of something, could be because I transferred files from my old-pc running win7 with the upgrader installed, to this new one... Another weird thing is that it only seemed to appear today. Infact; the creation date is: 02 ‎July ‎2016, ‏‎12:23:34, so yea; today...

jakeb, Jul 1, 2016
  6. swarfega Win User
    Have you run a full antivirus scan?

Also could you post a screenshot showing the files in that folder.

swarfega, Jul 1, 2016
  7. jakeb Win User
    Virus scans all returned nothing.

Image attached of main folder in C:\

jakeb, Jul 1, 2016
  8. Porthos Win User

Bet the topic starter is still on 10240. I have seen this on a few computers as of late.

Porthos, Jul 1, 2016
  9. jakeb Win User
    I am infact on that version of Win10, is there an issue with the update this time around or something?

jakeb, Jul 1, 2016
  10. Porthos Win User
    Build wise you have been "out of date" since November. The computer I saw yesterday like this did not have enough disk space on the little 32 gig SSD (HP Stream).

Porthos, Jul 1, 2016
  11. jakeb Win User
    Okay, thanks for letting me know; I am not low on space by any means though.

jakeb, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. C:\Windows10Upgrade - Is it malware? - Similar Threads - Windows10Upgrade malware

2. Why is there a Windows10Upgrade folder on my hard disk with an ESD file and an ESD_ file?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Why is there a Windows10Upgrade folder on my hard disk with an ESD file and an ESD_ file?: Hello,My computer has two drives: the primary drive C: with the Windows and other applications' installationsthe secondary drive D: with my personal dataNow, I see a Windows10Upgrade folder in my D drive consuming nearly 8 GB space. This folder has two...
  3. 3gb .esd file in a folder named "Windows10Upgrade" in C:\

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    3gb .esd file in a folder named "Windows10Upgrade" in C:\: There is a file named 18362.30.190401-1528.19h1_release_svc_refresh_CLIENTCONSUMER_RET_x64FRE_en-us.esd, which is likely the 19h1 update file suggesting the name. However, I am on 21H1. For reassurance, can this file be deleted safely?...
  4. To delete Windows10Upgrade folder from C drive

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    To delete Windows10Upgrade folder from C drive: My computer is a mini pc and I am running very short of disk space. Only 8GB free out of 57GB. I would like to know if it is safe to delete the Windows10Upgrade folder from my C drive. It has 3.96 GB. I have the most current system image backed up. Thank you. [img] 176374
  5. is it safe to delete Windows10Upgrade folder

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    is it safe to delete Windows10Upgrade folder: i have Windows10Upgrade folder on D Drive is it safe to delete this folder ????????????? the creation date of folder is Friday 1st May 2020 it contain single file name "18362.175.190612-0046.19h1_release_svc_refresh_CLIENTCONSUMER_RET_x64FRE_en-us" of 3.22GB size if it is...
  6. is it safe to delete Windows10Upgrade folder

in Windows 10 Support
    is it safe to delete Windows10Upgrade folder: i have Windows10Upgrade folder on D Drive is it safe to delete this folder ????????????? the creation date of folder is Friday 1st May 2020 it contain single file name "18362.175.190612-0046.19h1_release_svc_refresh_CLIENTCONSUMER_RET_x64FRE_en-us" of 3.22GB size if it is...
  7. Windows10Upgrade Folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows10Upgrade Folder: I was updating new version of windows 10 using windows10upgrader assistant. After 80-90% of updating process due to my internet connection failure, the updating process stopped but the ESD file was left in the windows10upgrade folder. This ESD file size is nearly 3.5GB that...
  8. Can I remove the 'Windows10Upgrade' folder?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can I remove the 'Windows10Upgrade' folder?: My laptop has a very small storage capacity (28GB or something) and it keeps feeling me that it's storage is too low to update Windows 10. The Windows10Upgrade folder is nearly 2.5gb big, presumably from failed attempts to update, and if I could get rid of it, and maybe by...
  9. Windows10Upgrade

Windows10Upgrade: [ATTACH] This folder randomly appeared in my C drive today. Seems like Windows 10 Updater thing used up +3gb of my internet to download this without my permission (again). Do I need it or can I delete it? submitted by /u/harambewasabrother [link] [comments]...
  10. Can Windows10Upgrade and WUDownloadCache on D drive be safely deleted?

Can Windows10Upgrade and WUDownloadCache on D drive be safely deleted?: While cleaning up my three drives I came across these two folders. They are 3GB each which is a lot considering I have almost 500KB left as of now. I couldn't find anything when I dug around on Google other than the two folders usually live on the main drive. Mine does not....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Microsoft Way Redmondhow to use alarms in windows 10