Windows 10: Calling Batch File People

Discus and support Calling Batch File People in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; For years on XP, Win7, Win8 & 8.1 I have used this batch file method to transfer pictures from a card reader to a (the same) directory on my computer.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by iamjim, Jul 18, 2016.

1. iamjim Win User

Calling Batch File People

For years on XP, Win7, Win8 & 8.1 I have used this batch file method to transfer pictures from a card reader to a (the same) directory on my computer. After upgrading to Win10 it no longer works.

When I try to run it I get this:

I see what's wrong but don't know how to fix it. The entries in the batch file look exactly as the stuff following the right angle bracket in the text quoted above. Suddenly it has begun running as though the batch file was in the Windows directory (folder if you prefer). It isn't. It's still in my age old Card Transfer directory on a different internal drive.

Why does Win10 think a batch file actually running in an entirely independent directory on a different drive is running in the Windows directory? And, how can I make it normal again?

:)

iamjim, Jul 18, 2016

2. microsoft should make a store app for just batch files or vbs scripts and software

so I was thinking people could make help full batch files that will help people so they do not have to do a lot of typing to fix their pc .

We all know that batch files are very powerful scripts. SO if you can use the batch files and vbs to help others all the batch files should be free. This could help millions of people or get people to start making batch files to . I want this to happen .and
    apply the new store app so it comes through an update not get it from the store.

PeterTjapkes, Jul 18, 2016
  3. Banger696 Win User
    Enabling automatic reboot or automatic restart in Windows 10

Create a batch file with shutdown /r in it, call the batch file from task scheduler at the time you want a reboot.

Banger696, Jul 18, 2016
  4. spunk Win User

What does your batch file look like?

spunk, Jul 18, 2016
  5. cereberus Win User
    Well I see the xcopy command syntax looks all wrong for starters. it should look something like

xcopy C:\somefolder E:\backupfolder /D /E /C /R /H /I /K /Y

Also that command would try and copy all files to one file

J:\DCIM\198___07\*.* to J:\DCIM\198___07\IMG_99.JPG

just does not look right.

cereberus, Jul 18, 2016
  6. Ztruker Win User
    Put a cd %userprofile% at the beginning of the batch file maybe?

Ztruker, Jul 18, 2016
  7. iamjim Win User
    The first two lines interrogate the card to see if there's anything in the folder. If not, it jumps to the last line and quits.
    If there are files in the folder the third line copies them to the current directory.

For some bizarre reason it thinks the current directory is Windows. Whaaaat?

iamjim, Jul 18, 2016
  8. iamjim Win User

I can add a drive change and
    a CD to the target directory at the beginning of every batch file

But, I have many batch files and so I would like to get it working right and avoid all that work

iamjim, Jul 18, 2016
  9. Ztruker Win User
    Tjis line, as said above, makes no sense:

C:\Windows>xCopy J:\DCIM\198___07\*.* /D /C J:\DCIM\198___07\IMG_99.JPG

As I read it, it says copy all files from the 198_07 directory (folder) to the same folder and call it IMG_99.JPG. If it worked, all files would end up as a single file.

I doubt that is what you really want to do.

I suspect the 2nd part should read something like: x:\DCIM\198___07\ where x: is the drive you want to copy to and \DCIM\198___07\ is the directory (folder) you want to copy them to on the x: drive.

Can you explain in words exactly what you are trying to accomplish. Include drive and folder paths please.

Ztruker, Jul 18, 2016
  10. iamjim Win User
    Perhaps you missed my post second before yours where I show and explain the batch file commands

Incidentally there is no such line as C:\Windows>xCopy J:\DCIM\198___07\*.* /D /C J:\DCIM\198___07\IMG_99.JPG in the batch file.

iamjim, Jul 18, 2016
  11. AndreyT Win User
    Where did you see this line???

The content of the OP's batch file is posted above. There's no such line there. And the batch file looks fine.

AndreyT, Jul 18, 2016
  12. AndreyT Win User
    So, how do you invoke your batch file? Shortcut? Manually from command prompt? Some other way?

AndreyT, Jul 18, 2016
  13. Ztruker Win User

It's spread across two lines I believe. It's the rest of the xcopy statement.

C:\Windows>xCopy J:\DCIM\198___07\*.* /D /C
    J:\DCIM\198___07\IMG_99.JPG

Ztruker, Jul 18, 2016
  14. iamjim Win User
    I double click on the batch file itself in its Windows folder

iamjim, Jul 18, 2016
  15. Ztruker Win User
    Please post the contents of the entire batch file.

Ztruker, Jul 18, 2016
Thema:

1. Calling Batch File People - Similar Threads - Calling Batch File

2. Batch File

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Batch File: Hi, I am trying to create a batch file to determine whether a user account is signed on.I don't have enough experience to get it to @Echo it worked. Any advice please.Batch file:REM Query whether user SBackup is active@echo onsetlocal enabledelayedexpansionset...
  3. Batch Files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Batch Files: How do i make it that my batch file puts itself in to startup https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/batch-files/6156404d-20d4-4f58-bee5-14629dbf7b10
  4. Batch Files

Batch Files: How do i make it that my batch file puts itself in to startup https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/batch-files/6156404d-20d4-4f58-bee5-14629dbf7b10
  5. Batch Files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  6. Create batch files with Batch?

Create batch files with Batch?: How to create Batch and VBS files with Batch? So I write a batch file which I then convert to exe that creates new folders in a certain directory and then creates batch and VBS files with a certain content and saves them in the created folder. So it's similar to a program...
  7. Batch Files

Batch Files: I want to make a batch file that will copy a specific folder from my USB stick to a folder on C:\ I want to know if it's possible to make a batch file that will take the folder from my USB drive no matter what the drive's letter is....
  8. Batch File

in Windows 10 Support
    Batch File: I need a batch file to create a folder with sub folders. The sub folders will be named the current date, they will go in a folder on c drive. For example we can call the folder test and it would be in documents on c drive. Every time we run the batch file it would create a...
  9. Batch Files

Batch Files: I cannot remember how to open a FILE browser in batch, i was trying to create something were it opens a file browser, and the file you click on, gets deleted. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/batch-files/335a0e0d-62b0-4615-b303-4a7bb548cc6c"
  10. batch file

batch file: I want a BAT file to be executed when a USB plugged in to the PC. How can I do it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/batch-file/1af5ec02-b6c8-4916-959b-ed0327a964e7"