Windows 10: Calling SSD users. What does your 'Optimise' window show ?

Discus and support Calling SSD users. What does your 'Optimise' window show ? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I've got my SSD set to optimise daily and I'm puzzled by the results. Previously I had it set to 'weekly' and nothing seemed to happen there either.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Mooly, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Mooly Win User

Calling SSD users. What does your 'Optimise' window show ?

I've got my SSD set to optimise daily and I'm puzzled by the results. Previously I had it set to 'weekly' and nothing seemed to happen there either.

Is this a glitch in the W10 GUI ? or is the SSD firmware overriding Windows and doing its own thing.

Is there any registry key that shows when it was last run, and/or when it will run next ? Vista used to have such a thing for defragging boot files as I recall. You could look and see when it was last done.

Just puzzled that's all.

Calling SSD users. What does your 'Optimise' window show ? [​IMG]

:)

Mooly, Feb 16, 2017

2. Defragment and Optimise Drives on win 10

Hi

I have solved my problem. It was disabled on services and it shows as optimise dives on services. I did not know, just after a research.

My disk is not ssd but just a quick question: why we should not optimise ssd?

Edgar Moreira, Feb 16, 2017
  3. CANT OPTIMISE AS HDD SHOWING AS SSD

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

As per description, As are facing issues while optimizing the hard drive.

Which hard drive do you have on your system?

What is the make and model of your system?

Some of the community members found this issue occurs with the Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver.

For reference check the link below:

HDD shows up as SSD (Optimize instead of Defrag)

If this is the case, I would suggest you to go the system manufacture website and update the BIOS and check if that helps.

BIOS Disclaimer:

Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS
    settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

Hope the information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance with Windows related issues. We will be happy to help.

Ashish Sondhi, Feb 16, 2017
  4. AddRAM Win User

You should not be optimizing a ssd, it does it on it`s own.

It`s supposed to be turned off on a ssd, totally normal.

You should turn off the schedule and optimize your hard drives manually, too much of that can kill a hard drive or even create bad sectors.

This is a brand new install I just did, that`s why all my drives say never run, but they were defragmented from W7 so there`s no need to optimize them now, I`ll do it on 10 when I get to it *Smile

AddRAM, Feb 16, 2017
  5. Edward Win User
    Same here it happened to me so I turn off optimized drive automatically and now I use Samsung Magician to Trim manually.

Edward, Feb 16, 2017
  6. Mooly Win User
    Thanks folks *Smile

As I understand it, defragmenting is the thing that is neither needed nor recommended for SSD, but trimming or optimising definitely is as it speeds up writing to previously used sectors that have been marked as available for use.

My W10 install was clean installed onto an SSD and so no defragmentation option or even graphical display of fragmentation is available.

I'm surprised nothing has altered in the GUI because the last couple of weeks have seen me doing a huge amount of work that generates temp files as high as 10 to 15 Gb (yes Gb) and hundred of smaller files that keep getting shuffled and altered/deleted.

Mooly, Feb 16, 2017
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    The way a modern SSD works is like this. The firmware of the SSD will perform the trim function when it deems it is necessary to do so. I do not have any idea what the specifications for a firmware initiated trim are and I suspect that would be different from model to model. What the Windows SSD optimization does is send the signal to the SSD firmware to initiate the trim function manually.

I see two things, IMHO. 1. The SSD firmware is more than likely going to keep the SSD running in the optimum condition by doing trim when it necessary to do so. 2. I agree, the scheduling function within Windows 10 for sending the signal to do the trim operation to the SSD on a time scheduled basis does appear to be broken. I do not think that this will affect SSD performance in any noticeable way due to the SSD firmware taking care of it anyway.

Excessive "trimming" of the SSD will do no harm because each cell must be "trimmed" - reset - before it can be written to again anyway. The only thing that excessive "trimming" can affect is that if the SSD is busy with the trimming operation on a cell, it cannot read data from another cell during that operation so if the trim operation is occurring during a period of heavy read/write operation such as transferring a large file, it will affect performance.

BTW, my Windows optimization screen shows 11 days since SSD optimization even though the frequency is set to weekly.

This is interesting, though. My SSD dashboard program has an option to enable Windows trim or not. When I just loaded the program, the box was not checked. I manually checked it:

NavyLCDR, Feb 16, 2017
  8. Mooly Win User

Thanks for the explanation and info *Smile You seem to be confirming that there is a 'bug' in the way the W10 interfaces reports the status. I haven't any 3rd party SSD management tools installed but yes (lol) that is confusing on your set up. And just seeing your screen shot and 'task scheduler' getting a mention led to me turning this up. Just one of many In know and how true it all is I don't know.

Why Windows 10, 8.1 and 8 defragment your SSD and how you can avoid this – Вадим Стеркин

Mooly, Feb 16, 2017
  9. AddRAM Win User
    As stated by Navy a ssd may or may not have it`s own software program.

And it`s also a good idea to set aside some unallocated space.

AddRAM, Feb 17, 2017
  10. Mooly Win User
    Thanks. I do have a small amount of unallocated space, more by accident than design as I like to see round numbers for partition sizes as viewed in file explorer.

Mooly, Feb 17, 2017
  11. WEN
    wen Win User
    AddRAM , Why do you have Rapid Mode OFF ??

12. Cliff S New Member
    Garbage Collection and TRIM in SSDs Explained - An SSD Primer | The SSD Review

• bla
    • bla
    • bla
    Garbage Collection and TRIM in SSDs Explained - An SSD Primer | The SSD Review

Best is to read the entire article

Cliff S, Feb 17, 2017
  13. lx07 Win User

It isn't. Like most advice on SSDs one sees on the internet it is advice from another decade that was most likely not true in the first place.

The SSD does it by itself. If you buy an enterprise class SSD it will generally have a higher percentage assigned to overprovisioning than a home one. This is to increase reliability.

This is invisible to you the user (or you the operating system). The SSD does not expose the full capacity.

There is an argument that running a SSD 99% full is detrimental but you won't be anyway. You'll be running 99% of the exposed capacity. In any case making a partition and leaving unallocated space is pointless. If you were really worried about it you should just make one partition and not fill it to 99%.

You could do better than read this Exploring the Relationship Between Spare Area and Performance Consistency in Modern SSDs

14. pparks1 Win User
    As lx07 stated above, the unallocated space happens internally within the drive and it's not exposed to the end user. There is no point in keeping a chunk of unallocated disk space at the end of your SSD as others have shown here. That's a misunderstanding of how the unallocated provisioning works in an SSD.

pparks1, Feb 17, 2017
  15. NavyLCDR New Member
    NavyLCDR, Feb 17, 2017
Thema:

1. Calling SSD users. What does your 'Optimise' window show ? - Similar Threads - Calling SSD users

2. SSD displays in optimisation windows as HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSD displays in optimisation windows as HDD: HiI am concerned about windows optimisation of my primary drive, as it is incorrectly showing it as an hdd, when in fact it is an ssd.How can I adjust the display and approach windows takes to this drive?A quick search on goggle found nothing related only capacity errors, and...
  3. SSD displays in optimisation windows as HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SSD displays in optimisation windows as HDD: HiI am concerned about windows optimisation of my primary drive, as it is incorrectly showing it as an hdd, when in fact it is an ssd.How can I adjust the display and approach windows takes to this drive?A quick search on goggle found nothing related only capacity errors, and...
  4. SSD displays in optimisation windows as HDD

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Your Phone app on PC does not show the name of contact that is calling

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Your Phone app on PC does not show the name of contact that is calling: Hello,I ran into an issue that the name of contact or a phone number if it is unfamilliar number is not shown in notification, all it says "phone number is hidden" in Russian attached is the screenshot. All my contacts are synced and after I accpet the phone call in a list of...
  6. windows optimisation

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    windows optimisation: something just pops and closes when i start the pc https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-optimisation/5b6a5ae7-b682-4e5e-9b38-cc691d8a0d68
  7. Optimising the SSD drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Optimising the SSD drives: Hello everyone, Since 4 days I've got a problem regarding the SSD drives as follows: every time after reboot it's always show that the SSD drives never run for optimisation although I did many times before reboot. Has anyone experienced such a problem and got a solution?...
  8. Optimisation with new SSD

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Optimisation with new SSD: Fitted an SSD to my laptop, but boot speeds havnt really improved a great deal....approx 30-40 seconds similar to my HDD. I also have looked at ways to reduce writing to the SSD unnecessarily. 1- Added a 4GB USB pen to store the page file on.....set it up, but when Windows...
  9. Questions About Optimising SSD

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Questions About Optimising SSD: Hi, I recently got a new windows 10 system with a 512 GB M.2 SSD and just got around to doing a defrag. I notice it's a bit of a different animal now, optimise seems to be the new defrag. I'm not very technically minded and I'm hoping to get some pointers. On my old HDD...
  10. Does Windows defragment your SSD?

in Windows 10 News
    Does Windows defragment your SSD?: The real and complete story - Does Windows defragment your SSD? Storage Optimizer will defrag an SSD once a month if volume snapshots are enabled. This is by design and necessary due to slow volsnap copy on write performance on fragmented SSD volumes. It’s also...