Windows 10: Can a a non-bootable DVD Windows 10 ISO do a clean install?

Discus and support Can a a non-bootable DVD Windows 10 ISO do a clean install? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My computer has been upgraded to Windows 10 and activated. I have a non-bootable DVD Windows 10 ISO. Is it possible to do a clean install with that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Learner99, Aug 6, 2015.

1. Learner99 Win User

Can a a non-bootable DVD Windows 10 ISO do a clean install?

My computer has been upgraded to Windows 10 and activated.
    I have a non-bootable DVD Windows 10 ISO.
    Is it possible to do a clean install with that non-bootable DVD disk?
    Any alternative to do a clean install?

*** Heard imgburn can create a bootable DVD ISO, but after downloading the software then found it is infected,
    and decided not to install it.

:)

Learner99, Aug 6, 2015
  2. skip3119 Win User

Can a non-bootable Win 10 ISO DVD do a clean install?

My computer has been upgraded to Windows 10 and activated.

I have a non-bootable DVD Windows 10 ISO.

Is it possible to do a clean install with that non-bootable disk?

*** Heard imgburn can create a bootable DVD ISO, but after downloading then found it is infected,

and decided not to install it.

skip3119, Aug 6, 2015
  3. Can a non-bootable Win 10 ISO DVD do a clean install?

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Let me confirm that once you’ve upgraded to Windows 10 using the free upgrade offer, you will be able to reinstall, including a clean install, on the same device. You won’t need a product key for re-activations on the same hardware. If you make a meaningful
    change to your hardware, you may need to contact customer support to help with activation.

Please ensure that the ISO file should be downloaded from Microsoft website and created bootable device at idle conditions without any interrupts. Use the below official link to create your own installation media like a USB drive or DVD, and use that
    to upgrade your device or reinstall after you’ve upgraded. Please browse through the below link for more information on creating ISO file

Download Windows 10

Hope this will addresses your query.

Yashwanth Kotakuri, Aug 6, 2015
  4. sn00ker Win User

sn00ker, Aug 6, 2015
  5. Learner99 Win User
    =================
    I don't recall exactly how it happened. Vaguely remember that after finishing the upgrade, it offers a chance to create a Windows 10 ISO disk - and remember it says one can keep only one copy of that disk. (Means, if one makes 2 copies, it will be illegal.)

Learner99, Aug 6, 2015
  6. Berton Win User
    An .iso file is usually an image of the original disc used by a CD/DVD burning program to create an exact copy of that disc. If the original was bootable so should be the copy. Is it possible your disc is only storage of the .iso file?

As to "it offers a chance to create a Windows 10 ISO disk", I just finished my 6th Upgrade and have never been prompted with that choice, must be hiding somewhere and will go looking when time permits.

I did get a bargain yesterday, our local Shopko has 8GB Verbatim Thumb drives for $3.88 [school supply sale], will work good for saving the factory restore instead of DVDs for those computers that can boot to USB.

Berton, Aug 6, 2015
  7. tamo Win User
    I like rufus for making bootable usb drives you,d be best doing as berton suggests and using a USB and making it bootable . There are many tools that can do this , rufus is my first choice as it makes the drive uefi gpt ready too and its quick .

tamo, Aug 6, 2015
  8. Ztruker Win User

The answer to your question in no, the DVD or flash drive has to be bootable.

Ztruker, Aug 6, 2015
  9. Learner99 Win User
    Reply to Berton: As I said in my post "I don't recall exactly how it happened."

Reply to tamo: I did see the info on the web to make a bootable USB drive of Win 10 ISO. When I got into the bios to change the boot sequence, my computer doesn't have that kind choice (my computer is kind old.)

Reply to Ztruker: Thank you very much for the information.

Thanks to you all.

Learner99, Aug 6, 2015
  10. Learner99 Win User
    Andre Da Costa’s post on Microsoft Community:
    One can do a clean install from inside the upgraded Windows 10 computer.

Andre’s words: “You can also initiate a clean install by doing the following:
    You can do a clean install a couple ways.
    Press Windows key + i
    Click Update and Security
    Click Recovery
    Under Remove everything and reinstall Windows, click Get started”
    =====

Reference:
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...2-d8d0fcd79992

Note: I tried that, but failed. It reached a screen “Choose your keyboard layout.” It has 30+ layouts and the first one is US – my screen got locked up, lost the mouse pointer. Unable to get out, I unplugged the power cabe. When turn the computer back on, it says nothing has been changed.

Computers are different, if you want to do a clean install, you may try the above method – you may fail like I did, or you may pass the screen that locked my computer. (I failed, but the process did not do any damage to my computer.)

Learner99, Aug 6, 2015
  11. Learner99 Win User
    ==============
    Finally found this is how I got the non-bootable Windows 10 ISO dvd.
    The attached link is a canned reply (by MS support engineer) to the similar question asked by different users. What I saw was an earlier one and created my DVD – however the attached link is a more recent one (they are indentical).
    One needs a software that is capable to burn a Bootable Win 10 ISO. My disk burner came with the computer can not do that. Downloaded the Imgburn, but my virus detection software found it infected.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...3-cdaee5cc85ec

Learner99, Aug 8, 2015
  12. sn00ker Win User
    Let me guess you try downloading IMG Burn version 2.5.8 , right ? If so, there has been people saying that version does have problems . What you need to do is use version 2.5.7 instead . You can get it from the website below, once you click download give it time to start up and then just do so ... See if that version works for you, its the same version I only use

Download ImgBurn 2.5.7.0 for Windows - OldVersion.com

sn00ker, Aug 8, 2015
  13. Can a a non-bootable DVD Windows 10 ISO do a clean install?

The link sn00ker posted in post no 2 will create bootable install media for you. Personally, I prefer using USB thumb drives for my installs. faster than optical media. I use diskpart, option two here to create mine from ISO files.
    http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials...e-windows.html same procedure works for Windows 7, 8 and 10. That thumb drive is good for both legacy and UEFI installs.

alphanumeric, Aug 8, 2015
  14. Dch48 Win User
    A non bootable Windows 10 disk absolutely can do the equivalent of a clean install from within Windows. In fact, that's the only thing it can do. A bootable disc will offer the options of keeping personal data and will also let you choose where to install Windows. If you open the non bootable disc while in Windows and run the setup file, It will install a fresh copy of Windows and in the process, wipe out everything else on the drive.

Dch48, Aug 9, 2015
  15. Ztruker Win User
    I'm using Imgburn 2.5.8, no problems. If you get it from here, ignore your AV if it flags it as infected, it's a false positive.
    The Official ImgBurn Website

Let me guess, are you using Norton?

Ztruker, Aug 9, 2015
Thema:

1. Can a a non-bootable DVD Windows 10 ISO do a clean install? - Similar Threads - non bootable DVD

2. Clean Install with ISO

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Clean Install with ISO: A quick question. When I download the ISO File to clean install Windows 11, do I just mount it on the C: drive, which drive will be wiped clean and the fresh install of Windows 11 installed?I see some vides suggesting to create a partition but if I do not have to, then I will...
  3. Multi Part bootable iso on dvd's

in Windows 10 Support
    Multi Part bootable iso on dvd's: Is there any way to create a multi part iso thats still bootable but can be burnt to multiple dvds. 173971
  4. Windows 10 iso not bootable

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 iso not bootable: I wanted to switch back to windows from Kali Linux, so I downloaded the 64-bit English October 2020 update windows 10 iso and tried to burn it to a usb 8.1 gigs with BalenaEtcher. It showed a message: "Missing partition table. It looks like this is not a bootable image....
  5. How to install an UEFI-based ISO (bootable with DVD) on an USB flash?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to install an UEFI-based ISO (bootable with DVD) on an USB flash?: I have an UEFI-based ISO file for a tool on windows (This tool is NOT a WinOS but a separate utility tool). If I burn this ISO onto a DVD and boot it on an UEFI computer (without Secure Boot) everything works. However If I put this ISO with e.g. Rufus onto an USB flash drive...
  6. Windows 10 Installation on Non-bootable device

Windows 10 Installation on Non-bootable device: Hello, I had a situation where my Hard Drive got completely wiped out. I got my personal data recovered on it. Now, I have a Hard Drive that contains all my data but there is no OS loaded on it. I was previously using Windows 10 and would want to install the same again....
  7. Creating a Bootable DVD with Linux .ISO

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Creating a Bootable DVD with Linux .ISO: I am in need of creating a bootable DVD, whenever I put my DVD on the tray and enter it into the computer, I am greeted with a popup asking me which way I want to use this disc, 'Like a USB flash drive' or 'With a CD/DVD player'. I am trying to dual boot Linux and Windows...
  8. installing windows on a non-bootable drive

installing windows on a non-bootable drive: there are some very nice enterprise PCI-E SSD drives ( for example Micron ) that have only one problem - they are not bootable so i was wondering - is it possible to put the boot partition on a small bootable SSD ( say 16 gb Intel Optane, which i'm not sure is bootable...
  9. Make win 10 .iso file bootable DVD or USB

Make win 10 .iso file bootable DVD or USB: I would like to do a clean install I have downloaded windows10 .iso free version file from creation tool to DVD is the file bootable. If not how do I make a bootable DVD or USB from the downloaded. Appreciate help.. Regards 25364
  10. Is 10 clean install with ISO just like a clean 7 install with ISO.

Is 10 clean install with ISO just like a clean 7 install with ISO.: I already upgraded to 10 but would like to do a clean install , it successfully activated . Thank you 16092