Windows 10: Can a clean install USB be made without an ISO?

Discus and support Can a clean install USB be made without an ISO? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Two days ago, without any previous problems, I suddenly found myself basically locked out of my laptop. (I'm leaving out further explanation, because... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by KungFuzd, Jun 20, 2017.

1. KungFuzd Win User

Can a clean install USB be made without an ISO?

Two days ago, without any previous problems, I suddenly found myself basically locked out of my laptop. (I'm leaving out further explanation, because it's probably not relevant to my question.)

I called tech support. They said it sounded like something had gone wrong during an MS update, and I would need to do a clean install. Problem: I had not media to do so.

Using another computer, I researched all day, and finally found a solution. Still, I need to have some media to do a clean install, in case something weird happens again.

Problem: I've done research; I've read the instructions; and one thing still doesn't make sense to me: Do I have to download an ISO, and put that onto a USB -- or, can I put the Win 10 Version 1703 directly onto a USB? Sorry if this is a dumb question, but, when I got my first computer (Dell desktop running XP) I learned everything from forums. Thank you much for your help.

:)

KungFuzd, Jun 20, 2017

2. Can I do a clean install of Winodws 10 without paying for it?

You can do a simple clean Install by doing a reset,it wouldn't ask you for a key.

Sumit Dhiman2, Jun 20, 2017
  3. mlg63 Win User
    Can I do a clean install of Winodws 10 without paying for it?

Yes if you make sure you have an activated Windows 10. The activation is kept on the MS servers. Open Settings, Update, Activation to make sure.

mlg63, Jun 20, 2017
  4. Berton Win User

If you use the MCT/Media Creation Tool you can have a choice of downloading [for use on a different device] the .iso file to your computer or creating the USB bootable install drive. For the USB be sure to use one sized at least 8GB and be prepared to lose everything on it as it gets reformatted. Since I frequently encounter clients' computers, and don't know if they will boot to USB until I get on-site, I go for the .iso and burn the install DVD from that. I didn't actually time it but the USB download seems to take a bit longer than the .iso file, probably due to the formatting and writing versus the .iso just storing.

What I got Thursday was Version 1703 Build 15063.0, after it was up and running I got it updated to Build 15063.413.

Berton, Jun 20, 2017
  5. KungFuzd Win User
    Thanks much for your help, Berton. It is sincerely appreciated.

KungFuzd, Jun 20, 2017
  6. zbook New Member
    These links may be useful:

The first is how to perform an in place upgrade or upgrade repair. It will keep your files and applications. You must be able to boot to the desk top and open file explore and locate the setup.exe file on the bootable windows 10 iso.

The second is how to perform a clean install. It will erase everything on your drive and install a windows 10 version 1703 operating system.

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

Clean Install Windows 10

zbook, Jun 20, 2017
  7. zbook New Member
    zbook, Jun 20, 2017
  8. KungFuzd Win User

Thank you also, zbook. I'm keeping copies of the responses, so I'll know where to go for the things I need.

KungFuzd, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Can a clean install USB be made without an ISO? - Similar Threads - clean install USB

2. Clean Install with ISO

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Clean Install with ISO: A quick question. When I download the ISO File to clean install Windows 11, do I just mount it on the C: drive, which drive will be wiped clean and the fresh install of Windows 11 installed?I see some vides suggesting to create a partition but if I do not have to, then I will...
  3. Clean Install with ISO

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Clean Install with ISO: A quick question. When I download the ISO File to clean install Windows 11, do I just mount it on the C: drive, which drive will be wiped clean and the fresh install of Windows 11 installed?I see some vides suggesting to create a partition but if I do not have to, then I will...
  4. Can I perform a clean install of Windows 11 without an USB flash drive or with an USB with...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I perform a clean install of Windows 11 without an USB flash drive or with an USB with...: I need to leave dev channel and I need to perform a clean install ASAP . At the moment I dont have an USB with more than 8GB . Is there any other alternative ?...
  5. Can I perform a clean install of Windows 11 without an USB flash drive or with an USB with...

Can I perform a clean install of Windows 11 without an USB flash drive or with an USB with...: I need to leave dev channel and I need to perform a clean install ASAP . At the moment I dont have an USB with more than 8GB . Is there any other alternative ?...
  6. Clean install without USB

Clean install without USB: Is there a way to clean install Windows 11 without USB?Other than the recovery option in settings https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/clean-install-without-usb/965b2b43-ef13-4cc5-a5db-d9748556f323
  7. Clean install without USB

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Clean install without USB: Is there a way to clean install Windows 11 without USB?Other than the recovery option in settings https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/clean-install-without-usb/965b2b43-ef13-4cc5-a5db-d9748556f323
  8. Home made Windows install ISO query

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Home made Windows install ISO query: Hi folks To make a "Home Grown" Windows install ISO is it sufficient simply to use dism capture WIM from a system you want to use as your base install and replace the install WIM in the standard ISO or do other steps need to be taken. I want a base Windows with just the admin...
  9. Clean - Without the Install

in Windows 10 Support
    Clean - Without the Install: I have been asked to help, and am clueless. I've been given a working laptop and a tower to prepare for a yard sale and if not sold to donate to Salvation Army. It is desired to wipe the drives and leave it to the buyers to put their own OS. How to do? (hopefully a tutorial?)...
  10. Is 10 clean install with ISO just like a clean 7 install with ISO.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Is 10 clean install with ISO just like a clean 7 install with ISO.: I already upgraded to 10 but would like to do a clean install , it successfully activated . Thank you 16092