Windows 10: Can a faulty hibernation cause laptop to fail to boot?

Discus and support Can a faulty hibernation cause laptop to fail to boot? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi all. First post - I think it's in the correct section! I am running Windows 10 using 2xSSD drives in RAID(0). I have one other 750GB HDD for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Chris2307, Nov 30, 2016.

1. Chris2307 Win User

Can a faulty hibernation cause laptop to fail to boot?

Hi all. First post - I think it's in the correct section!

I am running Windows 10 using 2xSSD drives in RAID(0). I have one other 750GB HDD for data.

I had an issue with my laptop this week which seems to have resolved itself. Except, issues don't tend to resolve themselves so I would like to try and figure out what went wrong and whether something like this could go wrong again.

I had hibernated the laptop and when I turned the laptop on, the MSI logo displayed on the screen for approximately 10 seconds before the laptop switched off. Could not get in to BIOS at all. I (wrongly) assumed that a faulty fan was causing the laptop to overheat so I took it to a laptop repair centre.

We were able to get the laptop to boot in to the BIOS by removing the 2xSSD drives. We disabled RAID and connected each SSD individually. Both were detected fine. We reconnected both drives (booting with RAID disabled) and the BIOS detected the two drives just fine and also said that the RAID was also OK. The laptop shop told me that the RAID configuration was probably knackered and I would need to reconfigure it and reinstall Windows 10 (to the tune of at least £100).

I decided to take the laptop home with me as I knew I'd be able to do this myself. First, I booted in to Ubuntu using Ubuntu Live on a USB stick on the laptop. I did this to take off the few files I did not have backed up. At first, Ubuntu would not mount the drives because they were in a hibernated state so I mounted them as Read Only in order to copy files across. I did nothing else.

When I came to reconfigure the RAID and reinstall Windows 10, I took the Ubuntu live USB stick out of the laptop, inserted a Windows 10 installation USB and turned the laptop on to ensure that it recognised the Windows 10 installation first. As expected, I saw the Windows 10 setup screen. I turned the laptop back off, removed the USB stick and turned it back on so I could go in to the BIOS and reconfigure RAID....

My installation of Windows 10 booted just fine. It was no longer in its hibernation state but it booted. So far, no problems.

I have absolutely no idea what really went wrong to prevent the laptop from even getting to the BIOS in the first place. The computer repair shop told me that the RAID was broken and that was dragging the BIOS down but I am not convinced. Is there anything to do with a faulty/dodgy/incorrect hibernation that could have caused the symptoms I have described?

If so, what happened to allow me to boot back in to Windows 10? The only thing I did in between the laptop first becoming faulty and it resolving "itself" was mount the drives as read-only in Ubuntu. I don't see how this changed anything?

Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom Can a faulty hibernation cause laptop to fail to boot? :)

:)

Chris2307, Nov 30, 2016

2. suspect BitLocker cause the laptop fail to load to windows

Hi,

As you are facing issues with accessing the operating system with Bit Locker enabled, do not worry we will help you with this issue.

I suggest you to post your query in the TechNet forums as this issue is best supported.

We have a dedicated team to assist you better.

TechNet
    Forums

Hope it helps. Feel free to contact us for further assistance on Windows Operating System, we will be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Nov 30, 2016
  3. gshtong Win User
    suspect BitLocker cause the laptop fail to load to windows

Hi

I have a few laptop recently upgrade to Windows 10, and all of the laptops fail to Load to Windows 10 after shutdown/turn on or restart.

Before the upgrade, all those laptops are load with windows 8.1 and are encrypted with BitLocker and the laptop require startup pin before able to load to windows, they are all working fine.

I didn't decrypt the drive before upgrading, and after finished upgrading, the laptops seem to working fine until it restart, all the nightmare start.

Normally when turn on the laptop, it will load to the BitLocker page where enter the startup pin, then manufacturer setting page (when press enter to go to BIOS setting), and then load to windows, this is the normal start up

But for the laptop that are not working, it first load to the manufacturer setting page, then it load to a blue page with a small dash in the top left-hand corner, then it stop loading and then after about half a minute, it turn itself off.

I try to reset the laptop, but it fail, so I need to clean install the windows, that works fine. I then encrypted the drive with BitLocker, and after restart the laptop, it works fine. However, when I set the laptop require the Startup pin and TPM, the laptop
    are not working again after the restart, again it load to a blue page with a dash on top left corner and then turn itself off.

I have tried to install windows 8.1 and then upgrade to windows 10, and the I encrypted the drive and set the laptop require the Startup pin and TPM, again the laptop are not working after the restart, it load to a blue page with a dash on top left corner
    and then turn itself off.

the way I do the setup is: go to gpedit.msc and change the setting, then go to cmd with admin right, then I enter:

manage-bde -protectors -add c: -TPMAndPIN to setup the pin.

What is going on, is there any registry I need to change to make it work again? do any of you know how to fix it? I'm happy to rebuild them

Previously I have laptops upgrade to windows 10 without turn off the BitLocker, and they all working form, until the most recent upgrade (between end of June and now), they are all fail to work. Is that something to do with the most recent build/update of
    windows 10?

gshtong, Nov 30, 2016
  4. Chris2307 Win User

Gentle bump. Any ideas?

Chris2307, Dec 5, 2016
  5. Welcome to the forum.

Just reading your post. Myself I would disable Hibernation. I've seen hibernation issues on so many machines.

I had something similar on a Dell. Person came in in the morning and tried to wake up laptop. No go. I too accessed the device with Ubuntu as the person had no backups so we needed his files before we tried Windows repair. After I got the files, ran repair and it booted.

So yes, I think faulty hibernation can cause a machine not to boot.

Before you make any changes you may want to reference Brink's article here on Fast Startup https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4...dows-10-a.html

My Asus MB desktop has never slept well and I gave up on hibernation a long time ago. Fast Startup is nice but not a must for me. Of course this is my opinion.

Can't say why you couldn't get to BIOS. Does your machine have a BIOS or a UEFI? I wonder if the outcome would have been different with a UEFI, assuming you have a BIOS? Hopefully there is an answer in one of the links in Brink's article.

Here is another article you may wish to check out. http://www.howtogeek.com/243901/the-...-startup-mode/

Caledon Ken, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Can a faulty hibernation cause laptop to fail to boot? - Similar Threads - faulty hibernation cause

2. Can faulty RAM cause a black screen or freeze the computer?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can faulty RAM cause a black screen or freeze the computer?: This laptop has been plagued with BSODs, Black screens, freezing or restarting for no apparent reason for the last 18 months and getting worse the longer i goes.DaveM121 helped me with identifying a faulty driver which dropped the BSODs dramatically but they still continued....
  3. Can faulty RAM cause a black screen or freeze the computer?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can faulty RAM cause a black screen or freeze the computer?: This laptop has been plagued with BSODs, Black screens, freezing or restarting for no apparent reason for the last 18 months and getting worse the longer i goes.DaveM121 helped me with identifying a faulty driver which dropped the BSODs dramatically but they still continued....
  4. Failing Motherboard? Faulty Ram?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Failing Motherboard? Faulty Ram?: Hello So i had a question early about a my windows 10 being corrupt spent the last couple of hours fiddling with my pc and got to the stage where i realise 4 sticks of ram breaks my pc causing me bluescreens and infinite boot loops. Tried it with 1 stick 2 stick and 3 sticks...
  5. Selecting shutdown/hibernate causes the next boot to fail

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Selecting shutdown/hibernate causes the next boot to fail: Windows 10 version: 21H2Since "not very long" didn't happen before, and I don't think I updated since either if selecting hibernate the computer shuts down, but then starting the computer back up e.g. by pressing spacebar then results in the computer freezing at the "screen...
  6. Selecting hibernate causes the next boot to fail

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Selecting hibernate causes the next boot to fail: Windows 10 version: 21H2Since "not very long" didn't happen before, and I don't think I updated since either if selecting hibernate the computer shuts down, but then starting the computer back up e.g. by pressing spacebar then results in the computer freezing at the "screen...
  7. Selecting hibernate causes the next boot to fail

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Selecting hibernate causes the next boot to fail: Windows 10 version: 21H2Since "not very long" didn't happen before, and I don't think I updated since either if selecting hibernate the computer shuts down, but then starting the computer back up e.g. by pressing spacebar then results in the computer freezing at the "screen...
  8. Selecting hibernate causes the next boot to fail

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  9. Sleep causes hibernate

in Windows 10 Support
    Sleep causes hibernate: Why does my PC activate hibernate every time it goes to sleep, hibernate is activated after "powercfg /h off"? To clarify, the PC does sleep, not hibernate, it just turns hibernate on and creates hiberfil.sys. Fast startup is also disabled. EDIT: Problem solved, it was a...
  10. Hibernate being faulty after version 1803?

in Windows 10 Support
    Hibernate being faulty after version 1803?: I had noticed this problem for a couple of weeks. I've had hard time doing a hibernate on my PC every now and then after I did an upgrade to version 1803. The problem is sometimes when I hibernate my PC, it doesn't do its job. My monitor and peripherals would turn off however...