Windows 10: Can a universal app be started via keyboard shortcut or command line

Discus and support Can a universal app be started via keyboard shortcut or command line in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; The thread title pretty much says it all. Can a universal app (currently interested in Weather) be started via keyboard shortcut or command line... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Bob Coleman, Feb 8, 2017.

1. Can a universal app be started via keyboard shortcut or command line

The thread title pretty much says it all. Can a universal app (currently interested in Weather) be started via keyboard shortcut or command line command?

:)

Bob Coleman, Feb 8, 2017
  2. apkdev Win User

How to launch / load Coratna from the DOS command line ?

This statement is not just unhelpful but also blatantly false; It is
    entirely

possible
    to run UWP apps from command line.

apkdev, Feb 8, 2017
  3. DL91 Win User
    I can't copy paste in mail apps of windows 10

I've used the keyboard shortcut to copy & paste into notepad 1st to remove all formatting - still the paste command does nothing in the mail app. Clearly works with other apps.

The same failure to paste occurs with the touch commands and mouse commands.

Update: I can paste to the subject line of the mail app - but not the body of the email.

DL91, Feb 8, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Can a universal app be started via keyboard shortcut or command line

You could do this:

Can a universal app be started via keyboard shortcut or command line [​IMG]

- drag a shortcut off the start menu and assign a keyboard shortcut.

Command line: see
    How to start Microsoft Photos from command line?
    for an example

Go here in file explorer
    %appdata%\..\local\Packages
    and you will see a list of others, including Weather

dalchina, Feb 8, 2017
  5. Very useful information. Thank you very much.

Bob Coleman, Feb 9, 2017
  6. I note though that the dragged shortcut seems to work only if on the desktop.

Bob Coleman, Feb 9, 2017
  7. dalchina New Member
    Given you know the command, you should be able to put that in a script and use Autohotkey to assign a shortcut, for example..
    There's probably a simpler way...

dalchina, Feb 9, 2017
  8. Can a universal app be started via keyboard shortcut or command line

Yes, thanks again. I'm using AutoIt rather than Autohotkey, but somewhat the same idea.

Bob Coleman, Feb 9, 2017
  9. For whatever value it might possibly be to anybody in the future, the above relative to command line boils down to create a command such as

explorer.exe shell:appsFolder\Microsoft.Windows.Photos_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App

for Photos or

explorer.exe shell:appsFolder\Microsoft.BingWeather_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App

for Weather where the green part is obtained from

%appdata%\..\local\Packages

The new information here is that for Microsoft Edge, the part after the exclamation point has to be MicrosoftEdge rather than App.

I eventually figured this out by examining the dragged shortcuts.

Bob Coleman, Feb 10, 2017
  10. dalchina New Member
    Great-that's a useful understanding. Note there are no parameters for these, of course.

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Can a universal app be started via keyboard shortcut or command line

1. Can a universal app be started via keyboard shortcut or command line - Similar Threads - universal app started

2. Speed test via command line

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Speed test via command line: I need to test the speed of an Internet connection.I can test it by connecting to sites line fast.com or speedtest.net, but I want to perform a continuous test and to save the results on a file.I created a PowerShell script to run ping every 30 seconds and it works fine, but...
  3. How to force close modern apps via command line or link

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to force close modern apps via command line or link: Hi Recently I found that the trick I was using for see the pictures in the old picture viewer is no loger working, so I have to use Photos app instead. However, that app is very unstable and crashes every time I open a couple instances. Also, It keeps in the main taskbar...
  4. sending / receiving emails via command line

in Browsers and Email
    sending / receiving emails via command line: Hi folks I'm working on trying to send and receive emails via command line every so often on Windows It can be done but all the faqs - imbeciles guides etc etc just seem too complex and everybody uses gmail as their mail server. I'll do a proper tutorial later for a...
  5. sending / receiving emails via command line

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    sending / receiving emails via command line: Hi folks I'm working on trying to send and receive emails via command line every so often on Windows It can be done but all the faqs - imbeciles guides etc etc just seem too complex and everybody uses gmail as their mail server. I'll do a proper tutorial later for a...
  6. Can't open Windows Settings app via Start menu shortcuts or keyboard shortcut

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't open Windows Settings app via Start menu shortcuts or keyboard shortcut: Hey all, I have an issue with my Surface Book running Windows 10, version 1809 (OS build 17763.475). The issue popped up after updating the laptop to the latest version of Windows. When I want to open the settings app, I generally do so by clicking on the Start Menu and...
  7. Windows 10's touch keyboard (not OSK) invoke via command line...

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10's touch keyboard (not OSK) invoke via command line...: Hi guys is there any way of invoking Windows 10's touch keyboard (not On-Screen Keyboard) using command line? Thank you. 126025
  8. Pin a separate shortcut with command line switch to start

in Windows 10 Customization
    Pin a separate shortcut with command line switch to start: Windows treats multiple shortcuts to the same exe as a single pin. I have an excel shortcut where I have inserted a command line switch in the target path. I want to pin both normal excel shortcut and the second shortcut with the command line switch. It treats them as one....
  9. Can't add user via command line

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Can't add user via command line: I am trying to add a user via the command line through a virtual pc I added with VMWare. I'm running windows 10, and unable to add because this is what I get when I open CMD: I can't go beyond this point, I keep getting error messages. Any help would be deeply appreciated....
  10. Run a scheduled task via command line via command line

in Windows 10 Support
    Run a scheduled task via command line via command line: i want start a Run a scheduled task via command line like this: Code: %SystemRoot%\system32\taskschd.msc /Run /TN "RegIdleBackup" when i run the cmd in the prompt as admin the shedular task GUI pop up but the task not start. Is there a solution? Is the...