Windows 10: Can an ethernet cable have a virus?

Discus and support Can an ethernet cable have a virus? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi there AD protocol can do wifi at 7.2 Gb/s so can be faster than some slower ethernet hardware. However these routers are currently very expensive... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Ageeb, Apr 5, 2018.

1. Ageeb Win User

Can an ethernet cable have a virus?

Even with a 10gig uplink theres still ALOT to be desired from AD.

Starting at, for sure, 35ft and possibly as little as 25ft (also,direct line of sight) you'll barely saturate 1gig.

Nighthawk X10

Can an ethernet cable have a virus? [​IMG]

Source

Ageeb, Apr 5, 2018

2. Hey all. So when i used a desktop, obviously i use the laptop wired with ethernet cable. But i no longer use a desktop and thus use a laptop now. The thing is i connect it to external monitor almost always and thus use ethernet cable to use wired internet. Sometimes i use wifi if i bring laptop to somewhere else in apartment.But if you are planning to use it connected and on a desk, you should always use it wired with an ethernet cable right?

I recalled wired is always faster. The thing is i don't have an ethernet cable now and just using it on wifi and it seems okay. But you would always suggest get an ethernet cable for you are using it on a desk where you don't move it right?

Also i know this may sound like a dumb question. But could an ethernet cable carry a virus? Like imagine someone gives you an ethernet cable or you bought a used or or you bought a new one but it was actually returned and used. Is it possible for that to infect your laptop? Im going to buy an ethernet cable at one of these stores like computer shops but i want to know, is it possible an ethernet cable has virus? I would be connecting it from modem to an ethernet adapter connected to a usb port on my laptop. I know this may sound very foolish to ask this but i want to make sure. I ask this because i cannot order an ethernet cable directly from say amazon because of where im located now.

:)

paulyjustin, Apr 6, 2018
  3. internet connection

For a long time I have been connected to internet using an Ethernet cable between my router and my desktop PC. Then something changed. Now I try to connect using Ethernet cable but I get prompted to plug in the Ethernet cable which is
    already plugged in. Now I can only access internet by turning on wifi. and connect wirelessly. I've noticed this is much slower than using Ethernet connection. I have tried going back to a restore point I knew worked before this happened, I have reset my
    router and my internet provider says there is service to my router. I have purchased a new Ethernet cable. None of these have resolved my issue. When I turn WiFi off and plug Ethernet cable into router and PC I lose internet connection. In control panel under
    network connections it says Ethernet cable unplugged. How can I connect to internet using Ethernet cable directly to my router again?

JohnNov1962, Apr 6, 2018
  4. Can an ethernet cable have a virus?

PCIe FE Family Controller will not cooperate with a Ethernet cable it keeps saying that the cable is unplugged

I have Windows 10 home and I can't get the Ethernet connection to be stable it constantly tells me that my ethernet cable is unplugged when the ethernet cable is actually connected I don't understand what's going on can somebody please help

JessicaKyle_979, Apr 6, 2018
  5. Clintlgm Win User
    No ethernet cable is just wire coated with plastic wound into twisted pairs and again coated with a plastic cover. With ethernet connectors or both ends. There is no place to store any data to carry a virus. now then a used one might somehow carry a medical virus somehow but that's not likely.

Clintlgm, Apr 6, 2018
  6. Winuser Win User
    To answer your question, no. If WiFi is working OK I wouldn't worry about using a wired connection.

Winuser, Apr 6, 2018
  7. Bree New Member
    You need to look at the whole path of your internet connection, not just the speed of the WiFi or Ethernet. It's the slowest part of the system that limits your speed, and for me that's the broadband speed. Ethernet is faster than WiFi, but if they're both faster than your broadband connection you won't see any difference.

Bree, Apr 6, 2018
  8. Samuria Win User

With a modern AC router in theory it's faster than most Ethernet with speeds over 3gig

Samuria, Apr 6, 2018
  9. lx07 Win User
    I wish we could downvote comments sometimes.

lx07, Apr 6, 2018
  10. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

LAN cable of could of course carry a "Biological Virus" !!!!!!!! but to do that somebody would have to get physical access to contaminate it. So don't get chased by Russian FSB !!! (You must have seen reports of what's been happening in the English city of Salisbury).

Consumer grade routers usually don't have speeds of 3Gb/s and even if they did most rubbish cheap components in an average laptop wouldn't be able to handle the speed.

However if you can use the new AD protocol and lash out serious bucks then this one at 7Gb/s might be of interest.

Nighthawk X10: The Best WiFi Router | 802.11ad | AD7200 (R9000) by NETGEAR

Also could someone tell me how a LAN of 10 - 100 Gb/s is slower than any current domestic wifi - even on the best full duplex 5GHZ wifi -- the theoretical max speed (unless the Laws of physics have changed radically) of current 5GHZ is around 850 Mb/s -- and most rubbish wifi consumer grade cards in laptops etc won't give you any where near that speed. Similarly how many people even on fibre are getting over 1Gb/s from their isp's - and even if they were how many computers have decent wifi / lan adapters in them to handle the speed.

4G on a mobile phone won't either give you anything like 100Gb/s - assuming you have a data plan to allow you to download as much as you want. I'm looking forward to the experimental 1Tb/s service due to come out soon -- but for what I need it would just be an expensive Toy. I'm quite happy with 1Gb/s even for downloading 4K movies.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 7, 2018
  11. AndreTen Win User
    Ethernet cable by itself can't carry a virus or malicious code. But for connecting to USB, you would have to get an adapter, which in theory can (there's some chips inside which make adapter from Ethernet to USB port). But is very unlikely.

This is what you need, besides Ethernet cable... if you have one, you're good *Smile

Can an ethernet cable have a virus? [​IMG]

AndreTen, Apr 7, 2018
  12. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there
    AD protocol can do wifi at 7.2 Gb/s so can be faster than some slower ethernet hardware. However these routers are currently very expensive (around 400 USD LESS tax) and I doubt whether typical computer components would be able to handle the speed -- a lot of built in wifi cards on laptops is still only around 100 Mb/s.

In theory ethernet should be faster (generally) than wifi - but modern technology keeps pushing the boundaries. Once those types of routers come down in price we probably will see the end of a lot of LAN cabling -- switches and wifi extenders will replace them.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 7, 2018
  13. CountMike New Member

Actual WiFi speeds can suffer badly from low signal strength and interference by other devices with near same frequency (like Blue tooth or wireless mice for instance). That results in lost packets that have to be re-downloaded effectively lowering transmission speeds and result in high ping. That's why I always insist on wired connection wherever possible.
    It also eliminates hacking WiFi which if not properly set up and protected can easily be broken into.

CountMike, Apr 8, 2018
Thema:

1. Can an ethernet cable have a virus? - Similar Threads - ethernet cable virus

2. Ethernet Cable Connection

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ethernet Cable Connection: Hi so Ive had my pc for a couple years now and never had any issues with internet or anything. Just last week I saw that my ethernet cable wasnt working. ive replace the cable and have checked the drivers and uninstalled and reinstalled drivers but nothing seems to be...
  3. Ethernet Cable Connection

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Ethernet Cable Connection: Hi so Ive had my pc for a couple years now and never had any issues with internet or anything. Just last week I saw that my ethernet cable wasnt working. ive replace the cable and have checked the drivers and uninstalled and reinstalled drivers but nothing seems to be...
  4. Ethernet Cable

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ethernet Cable: Hello, my name is ElavI wanted to ask, that if I connect Ethernet cable to my laptop, then does it affect my electricity bills? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ethernet-cable/9bcfa1f8-5599-41c6-846a-53fc7ecb37fb
  5. Ethernet Cable

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Ethernet Cable: Hello, my name is ElavI wanted to ask, that if I connect Ethernet cable to my laptop, then does it affect my electricity bills? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ethernet-cable/9bcfa1f8-5599-41c6-846a-53fc7ecb37fb
  6. Ethernet Cable

7. Ethernet cable not working.

Ethernet cable not working.: I've been trying for hours now to fix my Ethernet cable with no success. Ever since I had a power cut yesterday in the WiFi options it has displayed my Ethernet as "Unidentified network" and has granted me no internet access. I've troubleshooted the problem and it said...
  8. Ethernet Cable Connected, But No Ethernet

Ethernet Cable Connected, But No Ethernet: I have my ethernet cable plugged in and my computer detects that it has been plugged in but it just says ethernet no internet. I've had this problem for a while and i believe that it started after an update. Its getting really annoying and ive tried some things across the...
  9. Ethernet cable settings

Ethernet cable settings: Hello I want to replace a 10 year old cat 5, worn, Ethernet cable with a cat 7 cable to connect to my 3 years old HP Envy. The old cable works fine but is prone to falling out my PC. My new cat 7 cable is not recognised by my HP Envy but works happily in another computer....
  10. Ethernet cable unplugged

Ethernet cable unplugged: Hello guys i am having problem with my Ethernet connection. When i connect the cable to the computer nothing happend and if i try to do a troubleshoot it say that there is no calbe pluged. I bought the cable 6 hours ago so it is a new one. The think is i press to reset the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. lan cable virus