Windows 10: Can anyone help identify this file?

Discus and support Can anyone help identify this file? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I have found a file called runexehelper.exe in my Windows\System32 folder. It's creation date is similar to the rest of the Windows files for my... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Mystere, May 30, 2017.

1. Mystere Win User

Can anyone help identify this file?

I have found a file called runexehelper.exe in my Windows\System32 folder. It's creation date is similar to the rest of the Windows files for my current build (16199), but unlike all the other Windows files, it does not contain any Details information in Properties->Details tab. So it does not suggest it was created by Microsoft.

Does anyone else have this file? I've run various scans from anti-virus and anti-malware against it, and nothing flags it.

The reason I discovered this was that I enabled process auditing, and noticed this app was running quite frequently. A google search doesn't come up with anything relevant. So just want to check if, in fact, this is a MS shipped file, or if something else installed it.

:)

Mystere, May 30, 2017
  2. hole---01 Win User

HELP: Can anyone identify this E61 standby icon??

My bet would be that this is printer icon. Try to look into Office folder, you shold have HP something aplication there, try to see is there anything queued for printing?

hole---01, May 30, 2017
  3. HELP: Can anyone identify this E61 standby icon??

check to see if you have installed a third party application that is displaying this indicator on your screen

mavios---01, May 30, 2017
  4. derek10 Win User

I also am running 16199, and also have this file, so I am pretty sure is something new to this build (that also explains why Google doesn't find anything). Maybe Microsoft forgot to add the details info to this file.

Can anyone help identify this file? [​IMG]

derek10, May 30, 2017
  5. swarfega Win User
    A google search of the file name found plenty of results when I did it. Most of which were bad news.

What antivirus scanner do you have. I would also run it by VIirusTotal online.

swarfega, May 30, 2017
  6. derek10 Win User
    None of the results except this own thread and maybe the first one (which says safe) are related to this file. Many of the results having trojan or Virus are simply coincidental, because seems to be a utility called exehelper

In my case I don't have any antivirus
    Do you have 16199 but do not have that file?

derek10, May 30, 2017
  7. Berton Win User
    By default Win10, the 3 versions I am running including the Insider Preview, installs Windows Defender antivirus.

The file mentioned exists in 5 times on my 16199 HDD, twice in C:\Windows and 3 times in C:\Windows.old. The files are dated 05/01/17, 05/07/17 and 05/14/17.

Berton, May 30, 2017
  8. Mystere Win User

Ok, thanks guys. I'm less worried.

The reason I enabled process auditing was because I kept seeing a console window pop up every so often, and it was quite annoying, and wanted to figure out what was doing it. It seems to be something called officebackgroundtaskhandler.exe in my office16 folder.

Not sure what it's doing, or how to disable it. I just find it annoying as heck.

Another thing I learned from process auditing, GoogleUpdate.exe seems to run a lot more often than I would expect it to.. like every couple of minutes. Strange, but not causing any issues.

Mystere, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Can anyone help identify this file? - Similar Threads - anyone help identify

2. can anyone help

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    can anyone help: i have the lenovo ideapad 3 laptop and its getting annoying i tried asking for help but it got me no where my laptop is out of memory when i delete stuff it doesnt work and when i try to reset it says there has been a problem there were no changes made and i am extremely...
  3. Can anyone help identify the problem that the CAPS-lock key creates

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can anyone help identify the problem that the CAPS-lock key creates: The problem is that the CAPS-lock key somehow somewhere has priority in a program or windows to activate the desktop / taskbar / frontscreen.In FIFA 2022 the CAPS-lock key is used for numerous commandsIn Skyrim the CAPS-lock key is used for commandsBut these programs have...
  4. Can anyone help identify the problem that the CAPS-lock key creates

Can anyone help identify the problem that the CAPS-lock key creates: The problem is that the CAPS-lock key somehow somewhere has priority in a program or windows to activate the desktop / taskbar / frontscreen.In FIFA 2022 the CAPS-lock key is used for numerous commandsIn Skyrim the CAPS-lock key is used for commandsBut these programs have...
  5. Can anyone help identify BSOD cause

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can anyone help identify BSOD cause: Hi All, I'm wondering if someone can help identify the cause of my BSODs lately. I recently updated my PC with a new MOBO/CPU/RAM, and since I have had network spikes pretty constantly and 2 crashed ~3 days form each other. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have logs...
  6. Can anyone help identify BSOD cause

Can anyone help identify BSOD cause: Hi All, I'm wondering if someone can help identify the cause of my BSODs lately. I recently updated my PC with a new MOBO/CPU/RAM, and since I have had network spikes pretty constantly and 2 crashed ~3 days form each other. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have logs...
  7. Can anyone help?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can anyone help?: Source Udk User Service Summary Stopped working Description Faulting Application Path: C:\Windows\System32\svchost.exe Problem signature Problem Event Name: APPCRASH Application Name: svchost.exe_UdkUserSvc Application Version: 10.0.19041.546 Application Timestamp: 058e175a...
  8. Can anyone help?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can anyone help?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/BANANABUG4 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/iscgic/can_anyone_help/
  9. Can anyone help with this?

Can anyone help with this?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/SpectrumX7 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/f5b6dy/can_anyone_help_with_this/
  10. Can anyone help?

Can anyone help?: submitted by /u/Jake_Sun [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/eywvvo/can_anyone_help/