Windows 10: Can connect to internet via ethernet but not wireless

Discus and support Can connect to internet via ethernet but not wireless in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; My wireless symbol has changed and I can only connect to the internet when I put the ethernet cable into my laptop. What is wrong>... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JulieMackie, Aug 7, 2018.

1. Can connect to internet via ethernet but not wireless

My wireless symbol has changed and I can only connect to the internet when I put the ethernet cable into my laptop. What is wrong>

:)

JulieMackie, Aug 7, 2018
  2. pusheen Win User

slower internet connection on ethernet than wireless

checking on router settings it says it sees one port in use and is at 100mbps
    Can connect to internet via ethernet but not wireless [​IMG]

also on adapter it says 100mbps
    Can connect to internet via ethernet but not wireless [​IMG]

pusheen, Aug 7, 2018
  3. newtekie1 Win User
    Plug in ethernet and wireless internet dies....?

The problem is that the router is assigning the ethernet card an IP and is acting like as the DHCP server. When you enable ICS(Internet Connection Sharing) you are trying to take over the role of DHCP.

You need to go into the routers configuration pages and disable DHCP. The connect to your wireless, and turn on ICS.

newtekie1, Aug 7, 2018
  4. Can connect to internet via ethernet but not wireless

Ethernet shows red X and does not appear in settings, but still works

Not sure why this is happening. I have working ethernet and am connected, it works fine. But the taskbar icon shows a red X over it, and the tooltip says "Not Connected - No connections are available". Looking in "Network & Internet", ethernet is not even listed there. And before anyone suggests wireless interference .. this PC does not have a wireless card or integrated wireless.

winderpExpress, Aug 7, 2018
Thema:

Can connect to internet via ethernet but not wireless

1. Can connect to internet via ethernet but not wireless - Similar Threads - connect internet via

2. Computer not connecting to internet via ethernet

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer not connecting to internet via ethernet: I have three windows PCs that I just bought, all the same model. When I plug two of the PCs into ethernet, they connect to 'network 2' and get internet but when I connect the third PC to the same ethernet port, it tries to connect to network 3 and doesn't get internet....
  3. Computer not connecting to internet via ethernet

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer not connecting to internet via ethernet: I have three windows PCs that I just bought, all the same model. When I plug two of the PCs into ethernet, they connect to 'network 2' and get internet but when I connect the third PC to the same ethernet port, it tries to connect to network 3 and doesn't get internet....
  4. Computer not connecting to internet via ethernet

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. No Internet connection on wired Ethernet or wireless

No Internet connection on wired Ethernet or wireless: I have a Windows 10 desktop that will not connect to the Internet either wired Ethernet or wireless. It previously connected fine through a D-Link DWA-140 USB wireless adapter. I swapped the adapter to an identical machine and it worked fine. I plugged in a known working...
  6. Wireless / Ethernet connection to internet permanently ON?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Wireless / Ethernet connection to internet permanently ON?: Hi As the title reads. Is it safe to have a permanent connection to the internet, even leaving a wired connection plugged in whilst rebooting and signing into the Windows profile? Thanks 58099
  7. No internet connection via wifi or ethernet

No internet connection via wifi or ethernet: Please help. My laptop is for some unknown reason not connecting to the internet via wifi or ethernet. It will also not diagnose the problem as it says The Diagnostics Policy Service is not running and it cannot fix it. Please can someone advise - I'm not super techy. but I...
  8. Problem Connecting To Internet Via Ethernet

Problem Connecting To Internet Via Ethernet: Hello all, I've seen many forums with the same issues, but to no avail I still am experiencing the same problems. I was given my desktop about a week ago by my uncle, and I wiped it cleaned and installed Windows 10 Pro. I go to connect the Ethernet cable and it says...
  9. Internet connection via ethernet problems

Internet connection via ethernet problems: I hope I'm putting this in the right place. We have two desktop pcs both running W10. Husbands PC was off for a while then wouldn't connect to the internet. Now mine has had to be switched off for a couple of months and we're having the same problem with this one too. Neither...
  10. Wireless internet works, multiple devices not connecting via ethernet

Wireless internet works, multiple devices not connecting via ethernet: Last week or so, we had a storm, and devices got unplugged. Internet service was out briefly. Wireless internet came back shortly after, but my desktop and our PS4 both can't connect to the internet via ethernet, and I can't figure out why. I've done the usual stuff: power...