Windows 10: Can connect to wifi when open, but not when I add a password

Discus and support Can connect to wifi when open, but not when I add a password in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Roommate moved out, so I had to get a new modem/router setup. Got everything up and running, except when I tried to password protect the wifi. I can... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by windowswonders, May 30, 2016.

1. Can connect to wifi when open, but not when I add a password

Roommate moved out, so I had to get a new modem/router setup. Got everything up and running, except when I tried to password protect the wifi. I can connect to the wireless network just fine with the open, default settings, I can connect just fine if I change the network name. However, once I add a password, I get a "can't connect to this network" message when trying to connect on my laptop. I can connect to the protected network on my phone just fine, so I know the problem is with my laptop itself, rather than the router/network. I have tried plugging in to the router with a cord and logging into the wifi network while wired in, I have checked the drivers for the network adapter (through Windows and Driver Talent), I have run the network troubleshooter and reset the adapter, I have turned off all the devices and restarted in order (modem, router, laptop). My boyfriend did a USB boot of xubuntu (beyond my technical expertise), and the laptop connected to the protected wifi just fine, pinpointing the issue to being Windows itself. Any other recommendations before reinstalling Windows?

System Manufacturer/Model Number HP ENVY dv4
    OS Windows 10

:)

windowswonders, May 30, 2016

2. When I connect to a web page, some do open, but these do not open( yahoo, google, google search, youtube, and facebook. What do I do?

I had same issue on my PC : some sites (google, facebook, ...) KO with all possible browsers (ie, edge, chrome, safari, firefox) while other sites were OK (fi bing)

I could fix the issue on my PC by disabling ipv6

I followed this procedure :

Techunboxed: How to Disable IPv6 in Windows 10

And after a boot, all websites were accessible with all browsers; no negative side effect for the time being.

Hope it can help ...

Sergysels Patrick, May 30, 2016
  3. When I connect to a web page, some do open, but these do not open( yahoo, google, google search, youtube, and facebook. What do I do?

Hi,

Thank you for being part of Windows 10.

I appreciate you for providing details about the issue and we are happy to assist you.

Check whether the websites are listed in the resisted area and if they are present in the restricted area remove it from the list and try to access the websites. Follow the steps mentioned below if you are using the Internet Explorer.

1) Open Internet Explorer and click on Tools.

2) Click on Internet Options and click on the security tab.

3) Click on Restricted sites and click on the sites button.

4) If any of these websites are listed in the restricted sites, select the websites and click on the remove button to remove it from the list.

5) Click on Close and then Apply and OK.

Check whether you are able to access the websites.

Reference: Refer to the following Microsoft article on
    Internet Explorer FAQ.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/internet-explorer/internet-explorer-help

Reference: Refer to the following Microsoft article on
    Microsoft Edge and privacy: FAQ.

Microsoft Edge, Browserdaten und Datenschutz – Microsoft Datenschutz

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Harshavardhan Rathod, May 30, 2016
  4. simrick Win User

Can connect to wifi when open, but not when I add a password

Hi windowswonders and welcome to Tenforums.
    Since the thing *will* connect in the Linux environment, I will guess that it has something to do with WPA/WPA2, AES or TKIP encryption; your Windows drivers not being compatible with whatever you have for your encryption setup within your router. Try changing the encryption in the router and see if that doesn't help. Also, have a look on the HP support site for whatever NIC you have in your system. Chances are, HP have a custom NIC driver for your card.
    That's all I can think of; hope it helps.

EDIT: You can have a read here for more info:
    The Difference Between Wi-Fi Security Protocols: WPA2-AES vs WPA2-TKIP

simrick, May 30, 2016
  5. badrobot Win User
    If you are using the same SSID for protected and non- protected network, try right-clicking on the SSID and select "Forget this network", then try connecting again with a password.

badrobot, May 30, 2016
  6. Ugh, I feel like an idiot. I could have sworn I tried all the different encryption options, but here I am, on the protected network after switching to TKIP + AES. Thanks for making me going through the motions!

windowswonders, May 31, 2016
  7. simrick Win User
    No problem! Happens to the best of us. One time I spent an hour trying to get a laptop to connect to a wireless-n SSID, when the NIC would only do G. *chuckle Yeah, I needed more coffee that day........

Glad you got it sorted! Please mark the thread as solved. Cheers!

simrick, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Can connect to wifi when open, but not when I add a password

1. Can connect to wifi when open, but not when I add a password - Similar Threads - connect wifi open

2. Bluescreen when i connect to Wifi

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bluescreen when i connect to Wifi: Yesterday when i oppened my laptop i saw it was disconnected from the network.When i tried to connect back to my home Wifi it froze and then i got a bluscreen.I reinstalled windows and then when i wanted to connect back to internet i again got a bluescreen. After this i...
  3. Bluescreen when i connect to Wifi

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bluescreen when i connect to Wifi: Yesterday when i oppened my laptop i saw it was disconnected from the network.When i tried to connect back to my home Wifi it froze and then i got a bluscreen.I reinstalled windows and then when i wanted to connect back to internet i again got a bluescreen. After this i...
  4. Bluescreen when i connect to Wifi

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. When I try connecting my laptop to my highschool wifi it connect but when I open a new tab...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When I try connecting my laptop to my highschool wifi it connect but when I open a new tab...: When I try connecting my laptop to my highschool wifi it connect but when I open a new tab to go on something it says im not connect to any network...
  6. When I try connecting my laptop to my highschool wifi it connect but when I open a new tab...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    When I try connecting my laptop to my highschool wifi it connect but when I open a new tab...: When I try connecting my laptop to my highschool wifi it connect but when I open a new tab to go on something it says im not connect to any network...
  7. When I try connecting my laptop to my highschool wifi it connect but when I open a new tab...

8. No wifi and no connection when connected to ethernet

No wifi and no connection when connected to ethernet: Hello, I feel like I've tried everything I've found on here but I'm sure there's a fix. I have an ASUS K73E that after updating from Windows 7 to 10 is no longer connecting to the internet. I've tried toggling F2 and no wifi. I'm currently plugged in to the ethernet cable and...
  9. wifi connection lost when opening game

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    wifi connection lost when opening game: using realtek 8822ce wireless adapter. keeping loss wifi connection when playing a game, i think is window update caused. because i just format window, after few of window update, the problem come again....
  10. Bsod when connecting to wifi

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Bsod when connecting to wifi: I am getting different types of bsod when connecting to wifi. Ethernet is working fine. When i connect to wifi after 5 to 10 minutes i get bsod i have tried everything. I have hp notebook 15 bs637tu windows 10 home single language 1803. These are the memory dumps...