Windows 10: Can corrupt OS spread even after being restored

Discus and support Can corrupt OS spread even after being restored in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; About two weeks ago my OS became corrupt and I repaired it by restoring to a point about six days earlier. That worked, and in fact things that I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by sid316, Dec 9, 2017.

1. sid316 Win User

Can corrupt OS spread even after being restored

About two weeks ago my OS became corrupt and I repaired it by restoring to a point about six days earlier. That worked, and in fact things that I updated even the day before were saved.
    Now, my Microsoft Video Display Adapter does not display on my TV. When I try to connect it says it is connected but nothing shows up on my TV. I chatted with Microsoft Support and they said the corruption can spread on my machine even after being restored. Is this possible? They immediately said I should sign up for Microsoft paid support. I asked them to email me support details but they didn't. Should I worry about further corruption?

:)

sid316, Dec 9, 2017

2. System Files gradually corrupting

As the title says, it looks my system files are gradually corrupting. Yesterday I installed a brand new version of Windows on my computer after completely formatting the hard disk. Last satudray, I did the exact same thing, but it ended up in blue screens
    of death everywhere and me being unable to log in.

Yesterday after Windows got installed I decided to run the System File Checker, which already found corrupt files that could not be replaced. I consecutively ran two more scans, which found MORE corrupt files than the previous scans. Those too, could not
    be repaired.

The files in question didn't seem like important files, but I am still worried that the corruption will spread even more until the blue screens of death appear. Is there a better way to repair corrupted files than sfc /scannow or am I doomed once again (as
    it might be a physical issue with some parts of my computer)?

Thank you

Jean-Thomas Morin, Dec 9, 2017
  3. Don't update N95 firmware!

Don't spread FUD my friend. I've made a backup to memory card and restore it without a problem after the update to v20.

Everyone who can update, should update. Too many advantages over old firmware.

krisq---01, Dec 9, 2017
  4. cereberus Win User

They should be reported for that. DO NOT PAY for such support! They are disobeying MS rules presumably to get commission.

We will help you and only ask in payment that you let your pals know what a great forum this is Can corrupt OS spread even after being restored :). We are not even ad supported on any way.

First and most obvious thing to do is run

sfc /scannow

from an admin command prompt and report back results.

cereberus, Dec 9, 2017
  5. sid316 Win User
    I thought it seemed pretty fishy.
    Anyway, when I ran sfc/scannow I got this: You must be an administrator running a console session in order touse the sfc utility.
    I'm certainly no computer expert but I don't know how I could not be an administrator. This is my personal machine and no one else ever uses it.

sid316, Dec 9, 2017
  6. cereberus Win User
    You have to run it with admin rights even if administrator account. If win+x shows powershell instean of command, run powershell with admin rights and then just type cmd

cereberus, Dec 9, 2017
  7. sid316 Win User
    Interesting. Here is what I got.
    Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

sid316, Dec 9, 2017
  8. spunk Win User

What is the make and model# of your Asus Laptop? There is a sticker on the bottom of the laptop with the model#, if that is the computer we are talking about?
    Go to the Asus driver page Type in your Make and Model # and download the Video driver for your model.
    If SFC /scannow did not find any integrity violations, then there is no corruption in your system files. It's just a question of getting the right video driver now.

spunk, Dec 10, 2017
  9. Stitch194 Win User
    Reformatting the HD and a fresh clean install of the OS would remove any form of corruption. I would attempt to update your video card drivers.
    Are you positive that you were actually talking with MS? Sounds very suspicious to me.
    "I chatted with Microsoft Support and they said the corruption can spread on my machine even after being restored. Is this possible? They immediately said I should sign up for Microsoft paid support. I asked them to email me support details but they didn't. Should I worry about further corruption?
    Why on earth would they ask you for a paid support subscription if they can't help you. Did the support person have a strong Asian accent.
    Can corrupt OS spread even after being restored [​IMG]

Stitch194, Dec 10, 2017
  10. sid316 Win User
    Actually, it is a Dell Inspiron 15 3000 series that I am using. I'm guessing downloading the video driver for it would make sense. And, now that it has been mentioned, I wonder if the support group I was chatting with is legitimate. This was the URL https://partner.support.services.mic...ntact/chat/30/

sid316, Dec 10, 2017
  11. spunk Win User
    Go to the Dell Driver site, type in your service tag # or browse for your Model # choose your version of Windows 32bit or 64bit, scroll the list and choose the View More Downloads drop down arrow until you see the Graphics/Video driver for your model then download that.
    This site you linked on the previous post is an official Microsoft Support line. What they might have meant is if your HDD has Bad Sectors which caused your OS to become corrupted in the first place, the Bad Sectors can spread eventually causing more data loss or corruption.
    The best defense against this is to use a HDD diagnostic program like Seatools for Windows to test the HDD And do the Long test. If that comes out clean you are good to go, If that fails, the HDD needs to be replaced.

spunk, Dec 10, 2017
  12. sid316 Win User
    I downloaded the Dell video drivers but when I went to install them I got a warning saying the ones I was about to install were older than what is on my computer. How can that be? I downloaded them straight from the Dell site. Should I proceed?

sid316, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Can corrupt OS spread even after being restored - Similar Threads - corrupt spread being

2. Bosd even after system restore.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Bosd even after system restore.: Hello so I've recently just built my first gaming PC and it turned out great! But since recently I've gotten the BOSD error so far the most common stop code has been this one right here the driver not less or equal. I've ran several disk checks, ran the windows driver...
  3. System Recovery after Corrupted OS Drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    System Recovery after Corrupted OS Drive: My OS drive was corrupted last week. I have an image mirror on an external drive and now on a new internal hard drive. How do I recover and reinstall windows from that mirror? Should I be able to do this from BIOS?...
  4. Drivers issues after restoring the OS?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Drivers issues after restoring the OS?: Good evening! So I restored the OS a few weeks ago and reinstalled all the pertinent drivers. HOWEVER! as the gods of fate and destiny cant make things easy, there seems to be one driver that keeps messing things up and making the whole system crash and bluescreen me all over...
  5. Driver issues after restoring the OS

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Driver issues after restoring the OS: Good evening! I seek your help and eternal wisdom! So a few months ago I decided to use the "restore" tool on windows 10 to reinstall my win10 as I had over 6 years of trash programs installed and so on. Ever since I've been having blue screens with various errors (“Critical...
  6. Windows corrupted after a restore attempt

Windows corrupted after a restore attempt: Dear Windows experts. i have an HP touch screen with windows 10 installed using it for POS point of sale program in supermarket. The POS program stopped working after a windows update so i tried to restore Windows and selected a 13 days back restore point labeed as windows...
  7. Corrupt os

Corrupt os: Hi, iam krupal[IMG] This is what iam finding everytime while starting my laptop .can someone help?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/corrupt-os/478ca766-fbc9-4b91-9489-4e55728b04f5
  8. Corrupt OS?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Corrupt OS?: I've been having issues with running Virtual Machines, my laptop supports VT-x and VT-d, and I can get most things too boot on Virtual Box, however it requires turning off VT-x and VT-d and then turning back on to get working and everytime I turn off my computer after running...
  9. corrupt os ?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    corrupt os ?: hello , I am looking for advice.. yesterday, I had problems booting up. My computer's operating system hardly works now.I booted in win ten yesterday and my sound and internet were not working..I thought it was my hardware. I had a old unbuntu live cd that i'm using...
  10. Corrupted hardware or corrupted OS

in Windows 10 Support
    Corrupted hardware or corrupted OS: Ok last week my PC ran into several major problems that left me restarting it till it reinstalled itself. It seemed to be fine, all the problems seemed to be gone, however they're more or less back and I'm thinking it's the hardware. -In the context menu, whenever the...