Windows 10: can download files and outlook works, but cannot get to any websites in Edge or Chrome

Discus and support can download files and outlook works, but cannot get to any websites in Edge or Chrome in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I just got a new Acer laptop and I've installed quite a few updates. I had most of my install files already downloaded, so I'm just trying to get on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by SarahFletcher, Aug 20, 2018.

1. can download files and outlook works, but cannot get to any websites in Edge or Chrome

I just got a new Acer laptop and I've installed quite a few updates. I had most of my install files already downloaded, so I'm just trying to get on the Net now. The programs I installed were able to get their own updates and download no problem, and Office is able to connect to the Internet (I can use Outlook and activated Office 365). Only the WWW seems to be down.

Some sites i've tried are google.com, msn.com, bing.com, and yahoo.com. nothing works.

When I go to Chrome, I get:

This site can’t be reached

The webpage at https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.
    err_ssl_bad_record_mac_alert

When I go to Edge, I get:

This site is not secure

This might mean that someone's trying to fool you or steal any info you send to the server. You should close this site immediately.

The website's security certificate is not secure

Error Code: 0

I tried Firefox and got to a few pages (sort of), but keep getting errors about security codes and not displaying everything.

In another thread I saw to do a "netsh winsock reset" as an admin from the command prompt, which I did, to no effect. I ran the Windows troubleshooter and it says everything is hunky dory.

I checked Bitdefender and it says it's not blocking anything. I'm on a different computer atm using the exact same network and settings (win8.1, though).

Any thoughts?

:)

SarahFletcher, Aug 20, 2018

2. Edge not working on spesific website

Hi,

I suggested you to try resetting Edge and check if it helps to resolve the issue.
    Refer the steps below to reset Edge.

Steps:-

• First of all launch Microsoft Edge Browser.
    • After that click on “More action” option which is visible at top right side of the browser and you will see “Settings” option.
    • Under “Settings” scroll down and you will see a button “Choose what to clear” under “Clear browsing data” option.
    • Once you click on this option you will see list of feature like
    • Browsing History
    • Cookies and saved website data
    • Cached data and file
    • Download history
    • Form data
    • Password.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Anup Karkal, Aug 20, 2018
  3. Edge Import Bookmarks from Chrome does not work

Hi,

To resolve your issue with Microsoft Edge, we suggest that you clear your browsing data. Please follow the steps below:

• Click on the 3 dots at the upper right corner of Edge.
    • Go to Settings.
    • Go to Clear browsing data.
    • Click on Choose what to clear > Clear.
    • Try to import your bookmarks from Chrome to Microsoft Edge.

Let us know how it goes.

Melowin Mar, Aug 20, 2018
  4. John Vil Win User

can download files and outlook works, but cannot get to any websites in Edge or Chrome

Can't open Outlook links in Edge

Hi,

In order for us to assist you better, kindly answer the questions below:

• Dose this problem occur on a particular website or all the links you try to open from Outlook?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done?

In the meantime, we suggest that you reset Microsoft Edge. Kindly refer to the steps below:

• Open Microsoft Edge.
    • Click on More options […].
    • Click on Settings.
    • Click on ‘Choose what to clear’.
    • Select all of them and click on Clear all.

We look forward for your reply.

John Vil, Aug 20, 2018
Thema:

can download files and outlook works, but cannot get to any websites in Edge or Chrome

1. can download files and outlook works, but cannot get to any websites in Edge or Chrome - Similar Threads - download files outlook

2. Unable to download files from any browser Chrome, Edge, Safari as the download speed drops...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to download files from any browser Chrome, Edge, Safari as the download speed drops...: We require downloading and attaching documents 90% of the time for our work and this issue has become a major distraction for many of us working. Have tried running the sfc /scannow followed up by the DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth. Have tried disabling the...
  3. Windows 11 Edge, Chrome, Outlook & Downloads Freeze

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Edge, Chrome, Outlook & Downloads Freeze: Hi,I've been searching for a solution through Microsoft communities, Google searches, YouTube videos and calling the Microsoft support help line. They have been very helpful and have spent a lot of time, probably now over 8 hours troubleshooting my PC. It seems like all the...
  4. Windows 11 Edge, Chrome, Outlook & Downloads Freeze

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Edge, Chrome, Outlook & Downloads Freeze: Hi,I've been searching for a solution through Microsoft communities, Google searches, YouTube videos and calling the Microsoft support help line. They have been very helpful and have spent a lot of time, probably now over 8 hours troubleshooting my PC. It seems like all the...
  5. Edge is not download any files

in Browsers and Email
    Edge is not download any files: This is happening on Windows 7 but fix should apply for any Windows PC. I was downloading a file that was only 4.0 KB. After 30 minute I went to close Edge and got this: It should have loaded in a matter of seconds. I thought about uninstalling Edge and then downloading the...
  6. Cannot download chrome from from Microscoft Edge

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot download chrome from from Microscoft Edge: Every time I push download chrome, a tab pops up saying Your organization used windows defender application control to block this app https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-download-chrome-from-from-microscoft-edge/8e4b4388-d3e0-4b8d-bb83-a68eb02090a6
  7. microsoft edge starts but cannot reach any websites

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    microsoft edge starts but cannot reach any websites: Windows Edge stopped working. It cannot reach any websites. MSN News is also not working. It works fine on my iphone, but not the Windows 10 PC....
  8. Microsoft Edge cannot reach any website

in Windows 10 Customization
    Microsoft Edge cannot reach any website: Edge will not connect to any website. Have reset, deleted all settings - nothing works. All other apps and browsers connect no problem. I then deleted network profile using Regedit. Hardwired Ethernet connection profile rebuilt and Edge worked briefly. But on second...
  9. Edge Will not download any files

in Browsers and Email
    Edge Will not download any files: Hi Have just installed windows 10 on both my PC and laptop. Edge in PC allows file download. On my laptop, Edge always throws error message that file couldn't be downloaded and I cannot work out why. Does anyone have any clues as to what might be causing this? As far...
  10. Edge, Chrome, Firefox, and IE all fail to connect to any website

in Browsers and Email
    Edge, Chrome, Firefox, and IE all fail to connect to any website: A friend with a Lenovo i7 P50 Thinkpad with Win 10 factory installed. Creators Update installed via Windows Update a few weeks ago. Called me last week reporting that he could no longer view web pages using Edge, Chrome, Firefox, or IE. I checked event viewer and saw one of...