Windows 10: Can File Explorer be Disabled?

Discus and support Can File Explorer be Disabled? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; We use q-dir for everything, but there are some things that insist on opening File Explorer instead. An example is that my wife has a few shortcuts on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by MPSAN, Apr 22, 2017.

1. MPSAN Win User

Can File Explorer be Disabled?

We use q-dir for everything, but there are some things that insist on opening File Explorer instead. An example is that my wife has a few shortcuts on her desktop to folders. If the shortcut is to a file like Excel, it will open Excel as expected. However, if the shortcut is to a folder, it opens File Explorer and not Q-Dir. That is why she wants to somehow disable File Explorer. There are several things that launch File Explorer. In fact one that I hate is if I am in Q-Dir and right click a Macrium Reflect image and tell it to mount as a drive letter, that will work but it opens the drive letter in file explorer. Then I quit File explorer and open that letter in Q-Dir. I believe this is not a Q-Dir issue but will happen in any alternative File Program. Could there be a redirect from file explorer to Q-Dir?

:)

MPSAN, Apr 22, 2017

2. File Explorer has gone crazy after last nights upgrade.

My only has icons instead of full descriptions. I can not get back to a point where I have tabs that actually say something. Please tell me how to get my view repaired? help... Help.... HELP!!!

File Explorer, Apr 22, 2017
  3. Win 10 - File Explorer Crashes

Hello MSFT Support,

Where have you gone?...this is a major issue for many loyal customers but as you can tell frustration is setting in with many in the lack of direction from Microsoft. I feel like we are trying various home remedies when the problem is with Microsoft File
    Explorer which we rely on being stable and available.

Having us go to SafeMode is not a solution, also you could create more problems for customers in that BitLocker may come into play, which doesn't appear to be easy way to suspend this in non-Enterprise versions of Win10 before rebooting into SafeMode.

Please give us some direction or when the fix will be implemented?

It would be a real shame if you lose loyal customers to Apple or Google but lack of leadership here may steer many in that direction.

Best Regards!

File Explorer Crash Headaches, Apr 22, 2017
  4. Berton Win User

No, File Explorer [and the older Windows Explorer of Win7 and earlier] can't be disabled, is pretty much the core of Windows, if it isn't working neither is Windows. This all goes back to Win95 when the Disk Operating System [DOS] was starting to be merged into the OS/Operating System. Before Win95 one installed DOS [more than a couple of brands such as IBM-DOS and PC-DOS and MS-DOS] as the OS then installed Windows 3.11 or earlier on top of DOS as the GUI/Graphical User Interface. There were intermediate programs such as HDM/Hard Disk Menu that gave a customizable list that could be used to choose which DOS-based program or Windows itself was opened.

If wanting something else usually the right-click of a Folder or a file and Open with works.

Berton, Apr 22, 2017
  5. MPSAN Win User
    Well, Open With does not show with a shortcut, but I tried to right click and q-dir was there. Thanks.

MPSAN, Apr 22, 2017
  6. Edwin New Member
    Couldn't you/she navigate to the Desktop within Q-Dir?

To exit Explorer, press and hold both Ctrl and Shift, right click on Taskbar and click Exit Explorer.

Edwin, Apr 22, 2017
  7. dalchina New Member
    This is most likely a programming issue. If the program uses a fixed path to explorer.exe, then that will be used. Only if the appropriate registry key is read, identifying the default file manager, will your chosen program be launched.

The same occurs in some instances with IE and now Edge, even if the user has specified, say, Firefox as their default browser.

dalchina, Apr 22, 2017
  8. Edwin New Member

If you click the shortcut on the 'actual' Desktop (1), it'll open in File Explorer; if you click on it in the 'Desktop folder' from within Q-Dir (2), it'll open in Q-Dir.

Can File Explorer be Disabled? [​IMG]

Edwin, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Can File Explorer be Disabled? - Similar Threads - File Explorer Disabled

2. Disable Ctrl+N on file explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disable Ctrl+N on file explorer: Hi,How do I disable Ctrl+N on Windows file explorer. This is for a kiosk user should not be able to browse through File explorer.RegardsNaveen. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disable-ctrln-on-file-explorer/a4715290-b252-4858-abdc-918358d72879
  3. Disable Ctrl+N on file explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disable Ctrl+N on file explorer: Hi,How do I disable Ctrl+N on Windows file explorer. This is for a kiosk user should not be able to browse through File explorer.RegardsNaveen. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disable-ctrln-on-file-explorer/a4715290-b252-4858-abdc-918358d72879
  4. Disable Ctrl+N on file explorer

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Disable status bar in file explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disable status bar in file explorer: Hi,I recently did a clean install of my windows operating system in my Asus Rog Zephyrus 14. By mistake, I turned on synchronization with One Drive so I get this status information in all my personal folders that I would like to get rid of.I already tried uninstalling...
  6. Disable status bar in file explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disable status bar in file explorer: Hi,I recently did a clean install of my windows operating system in my Asus Rog Zephyrus 14. By mistake, I turned on synchronization with One Drive so I get this status information in all my personal folders that I would like to get rid of.I already tried uninstalling...
  7. Disable horizontal scrollbar in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disable horizontal scrollbar in File Explorer: How to disable the annoying horizontal scrollbar in File Explorer left pane that keeps hiding my folder tree Windows 10. When I click on the long folder name an automatic horizontal scrollbar appear in the left pane in File Explorer and the scrollbar pushes to the right and...
  8. Disable horizontal scrollbar in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Customization
    Disable horizontal scrollbar in File Explorer: How to disable the annoying horizontal scrollbar in File Explorer left pane that keeps hiding my folder tree Windows 10. When I click on the long folder name an automatic horizontal scrollbar appear in the left pane in File Explorer and the scrollbar pushes to the right and...
  9. File Explorer CD Burn disabled

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    File Explorer CD Burn disabled: Compter: Dell Optiplex 9010 Win 10 Pro 20H2 19042.844 DVD/CD Drive: LG: HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH16NS40 Driver: MS 21/06/2006 10.0.19041.1 Device Type: DVD/CDRom drives Registry HKLM\Sftwr\MS\Win\CV\Polices\Explorer NoCDBurning 0 LocalGroupPolicy...
  10. Disable the file display groups in file explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disable the file display groups in file explorer: I want to disable file explorer from sorting the files in groups. It keeps putting the files in to groupings and telling me how many files are in this groups. For example Q-Z 2. Really. I do not like this. It is like my email trying to sort by today, earlier in the week,...