Windows 10: Can File History be done manually

Discus and support Can File History be done manually in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Is it possible to run File History manually at a time to suit. Ideally I would like to run it once a week, but find there is no option for that under... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by equoox, Mar 24, 2016.

1. equoox Win User

Can File History be done manually

Is it possible to run File History manually at a time to suit. Ideally I would like to run it once a week, but find there is no option for that under the advanced settings.

I don't really want to keep the external drive I'm using for this connected to my PC all the time so am hoping I can turn off File History before closing down and then connect the external drive, turn File History on again when required and hope it will carry on doing an incremental backup of my files. (I do manually backup my files anyway, am looking at File History as an extra safety net)

Its rather frustrating that there is no progress bar so that you know how much of the task has been completed.

I'm not a computer tech so a simple explanation would be appreciated *Smile

:)

equoox, Mar 24, 2016
  2. Joan Pin Win User

File History Synced to Fresh Install, did I lose all my files from previous install?

File History folder, normally changes depending on the account that you have created after the install. To solve your query, we recommend that you continue what you have done, which is to manually copy your files on the latest File History. Then, you can
    delete the old folders. The option to sync the other File History folders is unavailable.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Joan Pin, Mar 24, 2016
  3. Can file folders be sorted manually in Windows 10?

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I would request you to refer to suggestions provided by slance310 in the thread link below:

Manually arrange folders windows 10

Hope this information is helpful. Please feel free to reply in case you face any other issues with Windows in future.

SujataMoktan, Mar 24, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

Hello *Smile

Yes you can do what you suggest and manually run it whenever you connect your drive. You don't even need to turn off File History, simply disconnect the external drive after you have run File History. Then W10 will prompt you when it needs to run again or you can choose to do it when you want to.

When you open the File History window there is a Run now link you can click to start the run. This link changes to Stop while it is running and then changes back to Run now when it is completed.

Can File History be done manually [​IMG]

philc43, Mar 24, 2016
  5. equoox Win User
    Thank you philc43 that's very helpful *Thumbs

equoox, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Can File History be done manually - Similar Threads - File History done

2. How to edit file history settings manually

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to edit file history settings manually: The file history has been seriously gimped in Windows 11 and has been buggy on me in Windows 10 before I couldn't add a specific folder so I went editing the configuration manually.I found the two XML config files in %localappdata%\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration...
  3. How to edit file history settings manually

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to edit file history settings manually: The file history has been seriously gimped in Windows 11 and has been buggy on me in Windows 10 before I couldn't add a specific folder so I went editing the configuration manually.I found the two XML config files in %localappdata%\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration...
  4. Minecraft can not be done!!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Minecraft can not be done!!: One day, as usual, I tried to launch minecraft, but during the worldload, it came out with "shutting down internal server" and it falls. No matter how many times you do it, it's the same. I thought there was a memory problem, and even if I tried using "windows memory...
  5. Minecraft can not be done!!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Minecraft can not be done!!: One day, as usual, I tried to launch minecraft, but during the worldload, it came out with "shutting down internal server" and it falls. No matter how many times you do it, it's the same. I thought there was a memory problem, and even if I tried using "windows memory...
  6. Can This Be Done?

in Windows 10 Support
    Can This Be Done?: When I'm doing my nightly backup, my program is running slow. I really don't have any clue why, but I think it has something to do with the external drive. Okay, so this is what I"m wondering if Task Scheduler can do for me. I run my back up at 10:30 every night. I would like...
  7. can not stop file history

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    can not stop file history: I have an active one drive connection that copies all my documents, etc. to the cloud as well as a backup of files in Windows Server 2012. Prior to the last update build 19041.329, I had file history turned off since it is redundant in my situation. Since the update I am...
  8. How to delete File History files manually in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to delete File History files manually in Windows 10: [ATTACH]File History in Windows 10 regularly backs up versions of your files residing under this PC and the OneDrive files available offline. So, over time, […] This article How to delete File History files manually in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read...
  9. How to manually delete file history

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to manually delete file history: I must have turned off file history (I didn't want it anymore) the wrong way or something. Now I want to delete the history files left behind. I couldn't use the "clean up versions" function in File History control panel. I have done a search on " UTC)" trying to get rid of...
  10. Not sure if it can be done.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Not sure if it can be done.: Hi. What I'm looking to do might be a bit weird. It;s a re-allocation of the letter Q. I want to press Ctrl-Q and have Win 10 cycle through the programs open at the bottom of the screen. I know you can do this using Windows-TAB but it just doesn't feel right to me....