Windows 10: can i activate windows 10 with a windows 8 key

Discus and support can i activate windows 10 with a windows 8 key in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; or do i have to go through installing windows 8.1 then all the updates then install windows 10 its for my mum shes running windows insider still... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by anthony99, Aug 10, 2015.

1. anthony99 Win User

can i activate windows 10 with a windows 8 key

or do i have to go through installing windows 8.1 then all the updates then install windows 10

its for my mum shes running windows insider still think she just has a local account

so i just wanna go round with a win 10 iso and install the easiest way

:)

anthony99, Aug 10, 2015
  2. Serpace Win User

Can i activate Windows 10 with Windows 8 key?

Hello,

I have a laptop that came pre-installed with Windows 8 and over the time i sort of messed up the Hard Disk. I wasn't able to upgrade the Windows 8 due to these problems so i couldn't reserve a copy of Windows 10. I formatted my HDD and installed Windows
    10 Insider Preview instead and i was wondering if i can activate that using my Windows 8 key. If that is not possible should i install windows 8 again to reserve it?

I have a friend who said i can enter my windows 8 key into windows 10 using SLUI 3 when it is released.

I am not sure what to do at this point.

Regards.

Serpace, Aug 10, 2015
  3. Can i activate Windows 10 with Windows 8 key?

I suggest you try reinstalling Windows 8.

Download an updated copy of Windows 8.1 with Update 1 and use the instructions in the following article to reinstall it:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationgui...dows/download-windows-8-1-retail-and-oem-iso/

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

The new downloader allows for selection of:

⦁ Language

⦁ Windows 8.1 Version

⦁ Architecture

then

Retrieve your product key:

https://neosmart.net/blog/2014/windows-10-embedded-product-key-tool/#more-3188

Designed for users of Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10, our embedded product key tool will retrieve and display the Windows setup product key embedded in the BIOS or EFI, allowing you to store it for safe-keeping or use it to reinstall Windows with an
    official Windows setup image.

Press Windows key + R

Type: slui.exe 3

Hit Enter

Enter the product key and click Next to activate over the Internet.

Andre Da Costa, Aug 10, 2015
  4. Ztruker Win User

To qualify for the free Windows 10 you have to upgrade a qualifying Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 system.

If she wants to stay on the inside program and your at build 10240 then there is nothing that needs to be done.

Ztruker, Aug 10, 2015
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    Run winver. That will tell you the build number and version. Build 10240 is the final version.

From an elevated command prompt, run slmgr /xpr

If it says permanently activated it's...well, permanently activated and no other actions are necessary. Unless you want to go into advanced properties for Windows Updates and turn off insider builds.

NavyLCDR, Aug 10, 2015
  6. MS has said that if you leave the Insider program, the current Insider build will eventually expire -- even though it has no expiration date displayed. So, the version of Win10 on your mum's machine is really not permanent, as eventually, the Insider program will end, or you will leave it.

Mark Phelps, Aug 11, 2015
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    So what you are saying is that Microsoft is lying to her when they report that her computer is permanently activated on Windows 10. So, if they are lying about that - then would there not be an equal possibility about them lying about it expiring when Windows reports that the activation is permanent. Either the report that the activation is permanent - or the statement that it will expire is a lie.

Simple solution. Run slmgr /xpr from an elevated command prompt. Call Microsoft and ask them "It says permanently activated - does that mean it won't expire?"

NavyLCDR, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. can i activate windows 10 with a windows 8 key - Similar Threads - activate key

2. Windows is activated with Generic Product Key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows is activated with Generic Product Key: Hello,To summarize the issue, when I install Windows Home or Pro, Windows takes the license from my Microsoft account. However, this license is the key known as "Generic Product Key". There is no OEM license on my device. When installing Windows, I check the "I do not have a...
  3. Windows is activated with Generic Product Key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows is activated with Generic Product Key: Hello,To summarize the issue, when I install Windows Home or Pro, Windows takes the license from my Microsoft account. However, this license is the key known as "Generic Product Key". There is no OEM license on my device. When installing Windows, I check the "I do not have a...
  4. Activation key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Activation key: Hi, Have installed windows on a new PC, have bought a new key on the app store on my windows account, and my new PC says I need a new activation key, error code 0xC0EA000A https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/activation-key/63425da1-12a5-4446-bee4-c71ef023c6c2
  5. Activation key

Activation key: Hi, Have installed windows on a new PC, have bought a new key on the app store on my windows account, and my new PC says I need a new activation key, error code 0xC0EA000A https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/activation-key/63425da1-12a5-4446-bee4-c71ef023c6c2
  6. I have computer with windows 8.1. I have new activation key for windows 11, but it won't...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have computer with windows 8.1. I have new activation key for windows 11, but it won't...: I have computer with windows 8.1. I have new activation key for windows 11, but it won't accept key. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-have-computer-with-windows-81-i-have-new/8ad138b6-90a3-4c64-96c0-79d58282c546
  7. I have computer with windows 8.1. I have new activation key for windows 11, but it won't...

I have computer with windows 8.1. I have new activation key for windows 11, but it won't...: I have computer with windows 8.1. I have new activation key for windows 11, but it won't accept key. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-have-computer-with-windows-81-i-have-new/8ad138b6-90a3-4c64-96c0-79d58282c546
  8. Will Windows 10 ask for the activation key after doing a Factory Reset?

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Will Windows 10 ask for the activation key after doing a Factory Reset?: I've lost a lot of performance recently and before upgrading my pc, I want to factory reset it and hopefully get rid of something that may be causing the loss in performance. But I've been scared to do so since I do not know where or if I even wrote down my Windows activation...
  9. Will Windows 10 ask for the activation key after doing a Factory Reset?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Will Windows 10 ask for the activation key after doing a Factory Reset?: I've lost a lot of performance recently and before upgrading my pc, I want to factory reset it and hopefully get rid of something that may be causing the loss in performance. But I've been scared to do so since I do not know where or if I even wrote down my Windows activation...
  10. Will Windows 10 ask for the activation key after doing a Factory Reset?