Windows 10: Can I add a old XP drive to a windows 10 computer to access files?

Discus and support Can I add a old XP drive to a windows 10 computer to access files? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello! I currently am running a windows 10 computer with a 1 Terabyte WD Black drive. I have a old computer with a windows XP hard drive that has... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Nolando, Jan 22, 2016.

1. Nolando Win User

Can I add a old XP drive to a windows 10 computer to access files?

Hello!

I currently am running a windows 10 computer with a 1 Terabyte WD Black drive. I have a old computer with a windows XP hard drive that has documents I need to access. Is it possible to add the XP drive to a SATA port on my new PC to get those files? Or is not not that simple?

A quick answer would be great, I know the alternative would be get monitor hooked up to the old PC and transfer files.

Thank you!

:)

Nolando, Jan 22, 2016

2. Folder and printer sharing no longer working since upgrading to Windows 10

I have a Brother HL-2240D printer connected to my main computer via a USB port. The computer was running Windows 8.1. I shared the printer and added it to a Windows XP computer on my home network. I then upgraded the Windows 8.1 computer to Windows 10. I
    plugged in a new Windows 10 computer on my network and tried to add the shared printer. It sees my other Windows 10 computer but not the printer and I cannot add it. I went back to the Windows XP computer and although the shared printer is still listed, it
    cannot no longer connect to it.

I checked the computer with the printer and it is still configured to be shared. The sharing options for the current profile (Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Network and Sharing Center\Advanced sharing settings) are to set to “Turn on file and printer
    sharing”.

In addition, I have several shared folders on my main Windows 10 computer. The Windows XP computer had those shared folders mapped as drive letters. They can no longer be accessed. The new Windows 10 computer cannot map network folders on the main computer
    (it does not see the main computer but it does see the Windows XP computer).

Folders shared on the Windows XP computer and the new Windows 10 computer are accessible from the old Windows 10 computer so the loss of access is only one direction (the other computers cannot get into the main Windows 10 computer but the main Windows 10
    computer can access going out to the other computers).

What needs to be done so the other computers can access the shared printer and shared folders on the main Windows 10 computer?

Thanks to anybody who can help me out.

BarryKoopersmith, Jan 22, 2016
  3. jpmcando Win User
    Unable to access folders in external hard drive

I'm trying to access folders on a external hard drive from a old xp computer to a windows 10 computer and it says i do not have permission to access the folders. Thanks for your help.

Original title: Storage

jpmcando, Jan 22, 2016
  4. topgundcp Win User

Yes, Just plug it into one of the sata port.

topgundcp, Jan 22, 2016
  5. Nolando Win User
    I got the XP Hard Drive out, didn't think it through, it uses a very outdated SATA cable, unless there is an adapter ill have to set up a monitor.

Nolando, Jan 22, 2016
  6. topgundcp Win User
    Do you mean a flat, ribbon cable ? if so, it is not sata cable but it is called IDE cable with an IDE Hard drive then you would need a IDE to Sata adapter.

topgundcp, Jan 23, 2016
  7. Nolando Win User
    Thanks for your help, marked as solved!

Nolando, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Can I add a old XP drive to a windows 10 computer to access files? - Similar Threads - add old drive

2. Can Launch windows on old drive but i cant view the files on my old drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can Launch windows on old drive but i cant view the files on my old drive: I downloaded windows on my hard drive, but then after a few days i downloaded windows on my ssd but now i cant view the windows files on my hard drive but i have the opption to launch windows on my hard drive and my ssd please help!...
  3. Can Launch windows on old drive but i cant view the files on my old drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can Launch windows on old drive but i cant view the files on my old drive: I downloaded windows on my hard drive, but then after a few days i downloaded windows on my ssd but now i cant view the windows files on my hard drive but i have the opption to launch windows on my hard drive and my ssd please help!...
  4. Can Launch windows on old drive but i cant view the files on my old drive

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Reactivating an old windows XP computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reactivating an old windows XP computer: I have an old Windows XP computer that I pulled from my closet, when I tried to run it it said it needs to be activated. I have the original disk and product key, but the message I get is "cannot connect to activation server. is there a way to do this?...
  6. Reactivating an old windows XP computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reactivating an old windows XP computer: I have an old Windows XP computer that I pulled from my closet, when I tried to run it it said it needs to be activated. I have the original disk and product key, but the message I get is "cannot connect to activation server. is there a way to do this?...
  7. Looking for lightweight Windows that I can put on old Win XP computer

in Windows 10 Support
    Looking for lightweight Windows that I can put on old Win XP computer: When I found this... ShowKeyPlus I searched for info on Windows Lite and nothing came up (apart from some hacked down Windows version floating around) I'm looking for a lightweight Windows that I can put on an old Win XP laptop. The machine is still very functional, but low...
  8. cant access file on an old hard drive how can i fix it?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    cant access file on an old hard drive how can i fix it?: I have an old hard drive and plugged it into my pc recently when plugged in my pc shows it is plugged in,in control panel i cannot fin it in disk management and when clicking access files through the control panel nothing happens[IMG]...
  9. Old Windows XP

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Old Windows XP: Has anyone in the Microsoft Community experienced this yet. I made a new discovery today. In 2008 I created a Facebook page using Microsoft Windows XP. Over the course of 5 1/2 years, the News feed has been producing Spam, Malware and effecting everything up and including my...
  10. New Win 10 computer--Unable to access files on backup drive from XP PC

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    New Win 10 computer--Unable to access files on backup drive from XP PC: I went to the drive manufacturer (Seagate) to ask about the above and they told me I had no rights to the files and needed to establish them. Gave me a URL Take ownership of files and get full access in Windows 10 to gain rights. However, as often happens, the procedure...