Windows 10: Can I at least pick up where I left off??

Discus and support Can I at least pick up where I left off?? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I've tried at least a half dozen times over two days to upgrade w 7 pro to ten. Each time stopping at a different place. Only one descriptive message... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by lbeck, Dec 14, 2015.

1. lbeck Win User

Can I at least pick up where I left off??

I've tried at least a half dozen times over two days to upgrade w 7 pro to ten. Each time stopping at a different place. Only one descriptive message to uninstall Acronis. Following that advice and the install went all the way to 47 percent before going to bed. Woke up to seven this morning. Tried again and got a BSOD.

what can I do to help diagnose the problem. Also, is there some way to pick up where the install failed. At least it would be good to have the install exe somewhere. Each time I begin the "try again" it begins by downloading the installation file.

the most recent error was *-40017.

i need some help to stop this install loop. It isn't stopping at the same place, and almost completed once.

:)

lbeck, Dec 14, 2015

2. Disable Cortana Pick Up Where I Left Off

How can i disable "coretana pick up where i left off" (cpuwlo)?

I don't have access to cortana in my region so i don't have cortana or that notpad icon.

I don't want to login to my pc with my microsoft account since i do streaming/videos and don't want my name to just pop up sometimes when i have linked my MS account with my PC.

Sometimes i do reboot my pc by an accident and meant to turn it off, when back into the login screen i select turn off and get the message "user is logged in" but i never logged in.

Sometimes when i close all my programs like i always do when turning off my PC they get opened back up on boot, even if it was multiples of file explorer and the task manager. A game i did play started once too, made my pc that time too slow to do anything
    for 5 mins.

So how can i disable cpuwlo without connecting to an MS account and have access to cortana?

EDIT:

To clarify:

I am living in norway so my region is norwegian.

I do not live in USA where the region is USA, but i live in norway and therefore my region is norwegian.

I refuse to connect my PC account to MS becouse that gave me only troubles last time.

Cato Jordalen, Dec 14, 2015
  3. Disable Cortana Pick Up Where I Left Off

We would like to know if you have already submitted your concern to our
    Feedback Hub?
    If yes, our developers will check your submission to see if they can validate the issue with the application you are using to enhance its compatibility with our Windows 10 operating system.

If you need more help with anything, you can contact us again.

Johann Eva, Dec 14, 2015
  4. lx07 Win User

You can't restart from the middle of a failed upgrade as it rolls back but you can download the ISO from here Tech Bench and click on setup.exe (that will save having to download it repeatedly).

You can either mount the ISO or make a USB as described here USB Flash Drive - Create to Install Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums. In either case clicking on setup.exe while you are running Windows 7 will start the upgrade (don't boot from the USB - that will do a clean install).

The setup logs are called setuperr.log and setupact.log and stored in the C:\Windows\Panther directory (normally). If you can't find them there search the C:\ drive for the names. They should tell you what is going wrong - if it makes no sense then upload them.

5. lbeck Win User
    Thanks. You have given me some sensible things to try. I'll start by creating an ISO dvd-rw to use for what I'm presuming will be several additional attempts. I'll also download the setup logs in case I need to return for more help.

lbeck, Dec 14, 2015
  6. lx07 Win User
    Un-install (not just disable) any AV you may have (unless you are just using the MS one) as they often seems to cause problems.

Good luck and let us see the logs if it doesn't work...

7. WHS
    whs Win User
    You are lucky. Some good elves protect you from 10. I assume your 7 works - so what are you mucking around with 10.

Thema:

1. Can I at least pick up where I left off?? - Similar Threads - least pick where

2. Pick of where I left off

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Pick of where I left off: I have Cortana disabled and every app I can disabled on startup both in the app/program and in the Task manager. Windows is still acting like the feature "Pick Up Where I Left Off" is still on, even though I cannot find a way to disable it (or that it is even an option to...
  3. Pick Up Where You Left Off - Stopped working after 1809 Feature Update.

in Cortana
    Pick Up Where You Left Off - Stopped working after 1809 Feature Update.: 1809 came through today. Pick up where you left off is only showing previous days - nothing I've done currently shows. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pick-up-where-you-left-off-stopped-working-after/d647db9d-ccf2-4cfe-9b63-bb7ffe101eb1"
  4. New Activity Cards to pick up where you left off on Google Search

in Windows 10 News
    New Activity Cards to pick up where you left off on Google Search: While we’ve probably all turned to Google to settle a bet, often we need more than just a quick answer. You might be looking for information to help you complete a longer-running task, whether it’s meal planning for a new food regimen, researching new stretching routines for...
  5. How to disable "Pick up where you left off" feature?

in Cortana
    How to disable "Pick up where you left off" feature?: All of the search results that I found from many websites/forum, all points back to the same thing - go to the Notebook tab, find said feature, turn it off then Saves... With no alternative solution anywhere. - The first issue is... Cortana is not available in my country,...
  6. Cortana not showing tips and where I left off....

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cortana not showing tips and where I left off....: Hey! Usually cortona shows me tips and pick up where I left off I made sure all settings are correct re enabled the pick up where I left off option and made sure tips were all enabled Also re registered windows cortina through power shell...any ideas.... 113423
  7. How do I Turn Off “Pick Up Where I Left Off” on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I Turn Off “Pick Up Where I Left Off” on Windows 10: Any app or folders I have open pops right back up when I turn on my computer after shutting it down. I have looked around long for a way to disable this new feature but havent been able to do so. I have cortana disabled (as best as I can tell) and yet this feature is enabled....
  8. Windows 10 Rs: “Pick up where I left off” app syncing between devices

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 Rs: “Pick up where I left off” app syncing between devices: Windows 10 Redstone: “Pick up where I left off” app syncing between devices I have already written about Continuum improvements coming to Redstone in the past, but more details regarding app syncing between devices is now coming to light. According to my sources who...
  9. Turn On or Off Cortana Pick up where I left off in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Cortana Pick up where I left off in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Cortana Pick up where I left off in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Cortana Pick up where you left off in Windows 10 Cortana is your cloud-based personal assistant that works across your devices and other Microsoft services. Depending on the...
  10. Windows 10 Redstone: “Pick up where I left off” app syncing between de

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 Redstone: “Pick up where I left off” app syncing between de: I have already written about Continuum improvements coming to Redstone in the past, but more details regarding app syncing between devices is now coming to light. According to my sources who are familiar with the matter, upcoming improvements to Continuum will introduce “OS X...