Windows 10: Can I change Monitor(s) Names?

Discus and support Can I change Monitor(s) Names? in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; Hello ALL: We have a system with 2 monitors...actually they are about the same 22 inch ACER Monitors. My wife wants to change the names to LEFT and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by MPSAN, Jan 13, 2018.

1. MPSAN Win User

Can I change Monitor(s) Names?

Hello ALL:
    We have a system with 2 monitors...actually they are about the same 22 inch ACER Monitors. My wife wants to change the names to LEFT and RIGHT, but one shows as Generic. Is there a way to change the NAME of each?

:)

MPSAN, Jan 13, 2018

2. second monitor resolution

Everything worked great until I moved my computer. Now, I can not change the resolution on my second monitor. I am using

Windows 10. The resolution bar, only on monitor #2, is greyed out. I tried switching the monitors but either one is stilled greyed out when used as #2. Monitor #1's resolution can be changed , no problem.

Paul m Stark, Jan 13, 2018
  3. Trmen Win User
    Surface Pro 4 - Scaling (Blurry) Issues With Second Screen

Had the same issues with Surface pro 4's. Surface pro 3's all worked correctly with the same monitors. What i did that solved the problem was changed my connection to the monitor. I connected to the monitors HDMI port instead of DVI and no more fuzz. I also
    then tried experimenting with Different configurations and monitors, I found i could reliably connect "unfuzzy" whenever is used a monitor connected via displayport or HDMI I had issues using a vga or dvi connection. Luckily i had 3 different brands of the
    connectors and many different brands/models of 24" monitors to play with.

Trmen, Jan 13, 2018
  4. Ztruker Win User

Since I only have a single monitor, where does this name show up? Knowing that may allow us to help.

Ztruker, Jan 13, 2018
  5. MPSAN Win User
    OH, I can see the name in Control Panel and even Device manager. The NVIDIA Control panel even shows the same name so I just wonder if, in something like device manager Windows lets you change the Monitor name(s). I guess this would even apply if you even had just 1 monitor.

MPSAN, Jan 13, 2018
  6. Are you talking about these names?

Can I change Monitor(s) Names? [​IMG]

They are taken from the driver. Maybe you can modify the names by hacking the registry (TUTORIAL: How to change device names in Device Manager - not sure if this even works anymore) but not through any normal method.

What is your purpose for changing them? Windows doesn't even use them when you're adjusting display settings.

PolarNettles, Jan 13, 2018
  7. Edwin New Member
    If it's a matter of Which one is which, just click the 'Identify' button, it'll show which one is which instantly.

Edwin, Jan 13, 2018
  8. Berton Win User

I've noticed that Windows gets the monitor name/brand/model number from the monitor itself, seems to be pretty smart in determining the hardware it has to work with. I have never had to install the disc that comes with a new monitor, used to with older monitors for critical color matching.

I had Win7 on an HP Desktop and it didn't get the monitor name but I used the free Upgrade just yesterday to go to Win10 and it shows the Monitor's name now.

Berton, Jan 13, 2018
  9. That probably came as part of the automatic driver updating in Windows Update. It got the driver for one of my monitors but not the other.

PolarNettles, Jan 13, 2018
  10. MPSAN Win User
    Yes, my wife just wants to have the monitor identified in software like Winstep instead of the Monitor Name for 1 and the other says generic, even though both should be the same.

MPSAN, Jan 13, 2018
  11. MPSAN Win User
    Yes, that is what she sees.

MPSAN, Jan 13, 2018
  12. MPSAN Win User
    I see the name change tutorial is for Windows 8. Do you know if it will work in Win10? Also, BOTH Monitors are ACER AL2216W monitors. However, the 2nd one just says Generic in Device manager. I wonder if I should tell the second one to scan for new hardware. Strange that the first one shows an ACER driver and the 2nd one just shows a generic Microsoft driver.

MPSAN, Jan 13, 2018
  13. Ztruker Win User

The Windows 8 tutorial works on Windows 10, I just tried it. My Display said Generic PNP Monitor. I added the FriendlyName string value to it's registry settings per the tutorial and it now says Samsung C27F398 Curved Monitor.

Ztruker, Jan 13, 2018
  14. MPSAN Win User
    Great...I can try it!

MPSAN, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Can I change Monitor(s) Names? - Similar Threads - change Monitor Names

2. Can I change the Open With names in the list?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I change the Open With names in the list?: Hi, I have a CAD program that uses a licence free viewer and a full licence version to open the same files. I have the viewer set as my default as we have floating licences not enough for everyone in the department to use full at the same time. Unfortunately in the Explorer...
  3. Can I change the Open With names in the list?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can I change the Open With names in the list?: Hi, I have a CAD program that uses a licence free viewer and a full licence version to open the same files. I have the viewer set as my default as we have floating licences not enough for everyone in the department to use full at the same time. Unfortunately in the Explorer...
  4. i can not change out of s mode

in Windows 10 Customization
    i can not change out of s mode: i just recently got a Lenovo idea pad and it is currently in windows 10 home s mode. When i went to change it in the activation setting the option to change out of s mode was not there, the only thing there was the option to upgrade to windows 10 pro s mode. I then managed to...
  5. i can not change out of s mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i can not change out of s mode: i just recently got a Lenovo idea pad and it is currently in windows 10 home s mode. When i went to change it in the activation setting the option to change out of s mode was not there, the only thing there was the option to upgrade to windows 10 pro s mode. I then managed to...
  6. i can not change out of s mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Can I change the name of my printer,

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can I change the name of my printer,: I have two of the same with different inks and keep getting confused https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-change-the-name-of-my-printer/e1e84a1d-c09e-4c14-9a76-b27b318442ea
  8. How can i change folders name to extension names?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How can i change folders name to extension names?: So i have a folder with over 300 files which have the wrong names but in each folder there are .mod files which are the correct names, changing them 1 by 1 takes way too long, so is there a way to rename them to the correct name in a bulk? submitted by /u/MK_Madness...
  9. I cannot change the monitor name.

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    I cannot change the monitor name.: Hi guys, I am using Windows 10 Pro. But I couldn't find changing the monitor name. As you can see in the image, I want to change the name "Casper". It can be with the regedit method, or another method. I'm waiting for your help. [img] [img] 149253
  10. Can I change the name of a PC

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can I change the name of a PC: Hi I have four PCs on my home network, all show up as a number, I guess it is the digital identifier of the machine but it is difficult to remember which is which. Can I right click/rename the link that shows up so I know which PC I am working on? Appreciate any...