Windows 10: Can I Clean Install Win10 If I Upgraded from 7?

Discus and support Can I Clean Install Win10 If I Upgraded from 7? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I was one that was able to upgrade for free from Windows 7. Everything had worked just fine, yet my computer never ran nearly as good after the 1607... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by JOSHSKORN, Nov 23, 2016.

1. JOSHSKORN Win User

Can I Clean Install Win10 If I Upgraded from 7?

I was one that was able to upgrade for free from Windows 7. Everything had worked just fine, yet my computer never ran nearly as good after the 1607 update, despite fixes.

With my upgrade, am I able to Clean Install without having to install Windows 7 first then upgrade to Windows 10? If so, do I need any information PRIOR TO starting this process?

:)

JOSHSKORN, Nov 23, 2016
  2. Sumit Dhiman2, Nov 23, 2016
  3. KH_92 Win User
    Can I do a clean install? (I upgraded)

I had windows 8 (purchased from the website) and upgraded to windows 10 since launch.

Recently i've been having bad performance, probably linked to me having 3 hard drives all with different versions of windows installed on each one (win7 and a broken version of win 10) and then programs installed on different drives etc etc. It's a real mess.

I've spent a few days now backing up my files and removing unnecessary files and programs. I want to completely format all 3 of my drives and have a completely clean install of windows 10.

Here's my question. Can I do that? I can reinstall windows 8 from the website since I purchased that, but how do I get back to windows 10 now that the free promotion is over? I think I read that I can do it in the windows 10 reset settings, but I want to format
    my SSD.

KH_92, Nov 23, 2016
  4. Bree New Member

Yes. You have a Digital Licence for Windows 10 tied to your PC's hardware and stored on Microsoft's activation servers. If asked for a key, click 'I don't have one'. You don't need it - after a clean install the licence will be checked and automatically activate the new install.

NB: you must install the same edition, Home or Pro as you had before.

5. OldMike65 Win User
    Yes you can, once your Windows 10 was activated, it is forever on that ONE computer, unless you change your motherboard. Here is a tutorial to give you instructions on how to clean install.
    Windows 10 - Clean Install - Windows 10 Forums

OldMike65, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Can I Clean Install Win10 If I Upgraded from 7? - Similar Threads - Clean Install Win10

2. Can I upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can I upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 11?: How can I find out if my computer will run Windows 11 if I only have Windows 7? If you have Windows 10 you can run a program to check, but if I'm only on Windows 7 how can I check?...
  3. upgrade 7 to 10 OK. Can I clean install 10 on another partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    upgrade 7 to 10 OK. Can I clean install 10 on another partition: Win 7 is running on partition 1. On a second partition I did a clean install of Win 7 then upgraded to Win10 and all activated OK, giving me a dual boot win 10 or original Win 7. I would now like to do a clean install of Win 10 on the original, still valid, Win 7. Will this...
  4. Can I do a clean install of Win8.1 after upgrading to Win10?

Can I do a clean install of Win8.1 after upgrading to Win10?: A year ago I bought a Lenovo Yoga 2 that came with Windows 8. Unfortunately, I upgraded to Windows 10 several months ago. It has been such a nightmare I want Windows 8 back. Can I just buy a new copy of Windows 8.1 and clean install it on my laptop? Someone told me once...
  5. Does Upgrading to Win10 from WU have clean install option?

Does Upgrading to Win10 from WU have clean install option?: That's basically my question. I'm planning to upgrade my Win7 laptop to Win10 next week and I'd like to know if there is an option for clean install (Delete all files, fresh windows settings, old windows moved to "windows.old" folder) from Windows Update or do I have to...
  6. Clean re-install after upgrade from Win 7

Clean re-install after upgrade from Win 7: I had Win 7 home on my laptop (64bit), then received and installed the free upgrade to Win 10 in Autumn 2015. The laptop is now running quite erratically and very slow and I feel it is time to do a clean re-install. I do not wish to go back to Win 7, just have a clean...
  7. Win 7 -> Win 10 upgrade - can I do a clean install instead of upgrade?

Win 7 -> Win 10 upgrade - can I do a clean install instead of upgrade?: Hi Guys, I'm trying to upgrade a Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit machine to Win 10 Pro 64-bit. Ideally I want a clean install... I tried using the method that worked before on other PCs (Media Creation Tool -> Upgrade this PC) but I got a BSOD when it was "Checking for Updates",...
  8. Reserved and Upgraded from W8.1, can I Clean install now?

Reserved and Upgraded from W8.1, can I Clean install now?: Hi I have Windows 10 now, Reservation and Upgrading ran smoothly, I want to clean install now formatting HDD, Will it ask me for a product key, or will the fresh Windows 10 be activated even after formatting with no key, have anyone tried this? Thanks! 9680
  9. Can I upgrade and then clean install with a new HDD?

Can I upgrade and then clean install with a new HDD?: Hi all, I'm finally thinking to upgrade from W7 to W10. Here's the situation at the moment: 1) 256GB System SSD 2) 1TB data HDD 3) 3TB Raid 1 HDD for backup I want to mount a new 500GB SSD as primary system drive, so I was thinking to use this occasion to put W10...
  10. Upgrade and clean install failed from Windows 7 pro

Upgrade and clean install failed from Windows 7 pro: Maybe someone can push me in the right direction to a fix ? Or should I buy a new computer? Today I decided to accept Microsoft's invitation to download and upgrade my windows 7 pro, unfortunately, it didn't go so smoothly as I had hoped it would! It downloaded ok and...