Windows 10: Can I Clone A System Config From an Old Win 10 HDD

Discus and support Can I Clone A System Config From an Old Win 10 HDD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a pretty shoddy old eMachines PC running Win 10 Home edition 32-bit. I had decided to replace it with something newer and quicker but before I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by fatdaz, Aug 28, 2016.

1. fatdaz Win User

Can I Clone A System Config From an Old Win 10 HDD

I have a pretty shoddy old eMachines PC running Win 10 Home edition 32-bit. I had decided to replace it with something newer and quicker but before I could get around to doing so the machine has crashed and won't boot. When I boot the box I get nothing on the monitor no matter what I do - the monitor is just blank and I don't see the cursor mark (I have previously had the Win 10 black screen issue with this PC and this doesn't appear to be that). I can't get it to boot from media and I can't get into the bios settings or safe mode. If I physically disconnect the monitor cable the monitor does pick up that it has been disconnected - this scenario is the same with different monitors and different cables.

I've had the HDD out and I can read it OK so what I would like to do is just buy a new machine as planned and if possible clone the configuration from the old HDD to the new. However the replacement machine will be Win 10 pro 64-bit so I'm not sure what will be possible? I'm happy to buy and license anything I need but there are applications and application data on the existing PC which I may not be able to reinstall and I would like to port all of these over. Does anybody know what my options are either for fixing the existing PC and transferring the config over to a new one or doing it directly from the HDD from the existing PC?

Thanks

:)

fatdaz, Aug 28, 2016

2. Windows 10 Upgrade Error Code: 80073B92-20009

Can confirm it works. Have made a 5 attempts to upgrade Win 8.1 to 10, but no avail - error
    80073b92-20009.. Recognized 8.1 was cloned on a new SSD but old HDD remained in a system and kept bootable. Removed old HDD and upgraded windows w/o any problem. Good luck to everybody!

AlexanderGalaktionov, Aug 28, 2016
  3. Dual boot Windows 10 and Windows 7 by cloning Windows 7 to new HDD

Old title: Dual boot Win 10 and Win 7

Have Win 10 on SSD C:\ and a failing HDD with Win 7 and some programs I don't want to lose. I have a new HDD to use to create a dual boot. Media for Win 7 is no longer available. How do I clone the failing disk into a bootable partition on the new HDD?

DavidSchott263, Aug 28, 2016
  4. Steve C Win User

What do you mean by the system config? You can't just clone the existing installation and expect to have a working authorised W10 installation! You will need to install W10 & programs on the new PC to ensure all the correct drivers are installed and configured and the PC correctly licensed.

You can the connect the old HDD and copy over your user files required for the new PC.

Steve C, Aug 29, 2016
  5. fatdaz Win User
    It's the non Windows applications which I'm concerned about. I have all the application data but there are programmes installed which are so old that I no longer have installation media for and which are no longer supported by the vendors due to the age of the software. My ideal is to have a new, fully licensed, clean Win 10 pro 64-bit environment with all of these installed but I'm not going to be able to go through the installation process for some of them. I know it's a long shot but I'm wondering what the art of the possible is

fatdaz, Aug 29, 2016
  6. Steve C Win User
    You will still need to run the installers for those programs unless you have a very basic .exe program file which can be run directly

Steve C, Aug 29, 2016
  7. LMiller7 Win User
    Transferring an installed application from one OS to another is so difficult that it is rarely even attempted. And the fact that you would be going from a 32 bit to a 64 bit OS further complicates things. The problem is that an application installation is often a complex thing with many supporting files in multiple locations with an even larger number of registry entries in equally diverse locations. There are no firm standards for this, only recommendations which are often ignored. The details of this are rarely documented and generally known only to the application developer and installer.

There are applications that claim to be able to do this but I have never used one would not trust them. There are all kinds of ways things could go wrong. And you may not discover a problem until long after the transfer.

LMiller7, Aug 29, 2016
  8. Berton Win User

Agreed, most Windows-based programs have to be installed so as to create their Folders, create the icons in the Start menu, copy support files to the Windows Folder/subFolders and create the Registry entries necessary for Windows to know how to run the programs.

Berton, Aug 29, 2016
  9. fatdaz Win User
    Oh well, worth an ask

Thanks folks

fatdaz, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Can I Clone A System Config From an Old Win 10 HDD - Similar Threads - Clone System Config

2. Install of Win 10 from old HDD to new SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Install of Win 10 from old HDD to new SSD: My PC has a WD 1 T HDD as the primary drive with Win 10 installed. There is also an 2nd older WD HDD for data storage purposes if ever needed - unlikely.I recently bought a new 500 GB SSD drive. I would like to install my WIN 10 on the new SSD using it as the primary drive.To...
  3. Install of Win 10 from old HDD to new SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Install of Win 10 from old HDD to new SSD: My PC has a WD 1 T HDD as the primary drive with Win 10 installed. There is also an 2nd older WD HDD for data storage purposes if ever needed - unlikely.I recently bought a new 500 GB SSD drive. I would like to install my WIN 10 on the new SSD using it as the primary drive.To...
  4. Install of Win 10 from old HDD to new SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Access old hdd after clone

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Access old hdd after clone: Hey guys, little help here if poss I done a successful clone of my HDD to a SSD, no prob there, put in new ssd all works as it should. My problem is as its a clone, its exactly the same as the HDD now out the machine including being called a C drive. I need to access the HDD,...
  6. Cloning an SSD from an HDD

Cloning an SSD from an HDD: Im planning on swapping out my laptops HDD with an SSD, and I was wondering if the OS clones to the new drive? Also I have a few programs that have licenses using ilok so would those carry over too or would i have to authenticate my software again? Thanks in advance!...
  7. Win 10 bad system config error

Win 10 bad system config error: Hai im new here, im using windows 10 , Suddenly my windows showing "BAD SYSTEM CONFIG " error. i tried a lot a ways to fix it. it keeps on getting into diagnosing your pc loop, i fear i might lose all my pictures (amateur photographer) on my pc. please help experts. sorry for...
  8. Cloning HDD and Win 10

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Cloning HDD and Win 10: I believe I asked this before, but memory fails. I currently run 1Tb drives on my Core I7 system, and my new MB is capable of the 6Gb/S sata, but I wont get that with my current drives. Looking today, I see the WD Blue 6Gb/S sata drives are now down to around $45, I...
  9. How would I delete the OS from old cloned HDD?

How would I delete the OS from old cloned HDD?: Hello I recently upgraded my Dell inspiron 3650 to an SSD leaving me a 1TB drive to use as storage, which I did and it worked great for about 2 weeks and then i started to notice small glitches in my system until finally my Bluetooth just quit working all together. So after 4...
  10. can i install win 10 from hdd to another hdd?

can i install win 10 from hdd to another hdd?: i just bought new hdd and i want to install win 10 on it. i have a working win 10 and win 10 iso, can i just install win 10 to my other hard drive without usb or dvd? 23799