Windows 10: Can I close my laptop during a backup on Windows 10 to an external hard drive?

Discus and support Can I close my laptop during a backup on Windows 10 to an external hard drive? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Can i close my Windows 10 laptop during a backup to an external hard drive?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by LisaAKot, Sep 4, 2018.

1. LisaAKot Win User

Can I close my laptop during a backup on Windows 10 to an external hard drive?

Can i close my Windows 10 laptop during a backup to an external hard drive?

:)

LisaAKot, Sep 4, 2018
  2. Marco Gav Win User

unrecognised external hard drive on Windows 10

Since you already reinstalled the drivers of the External Hard Drive, let's run the
    Hardware and Devices troubleshooter as it can resolve your concern. You can do that by following these steps:

• Press the Start button.

• Type and select Troubleshooting.

• Click on View all on the left panel.

• Select and run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter.

If the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter doesn’t resolve your concern, we suggest that you change the letter of the External Hard Drive. You can do that by following these steps:

• Press the Start button.

• Type and select Control panel.

• Select System and Security.

• Select Administrative Tools, and a new window will appear.

• Double-click Computer Management, and a new window will appear.

• Select Disk Management that is located under
      Storage
      in the left pane.

• Right click on the External Hard Drive that is not showing on the File Explorer.

• Select Change letter and network path, and a new window will appear.

• Select Change, and choose the letter that you want for the External Hard Drive.

After changing the letter of the External Hard Drive, we suggest that you reboot your laptop for the changes to take effect.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Marco Gav, Sep 4, 2018
  3. sumasage Win User
    Free hard drive backup/restore program?

I am looking for a free (freeware) program that will back up and restore a hard drive. I'm looking to clone a few external hard drives. If the program will backup the used space instead of the whole drive this will be awesome! Thanks for any suggestions.

sumasage, Sep 4, 2018
  4. Frankie Win User

Converting an internal hard drive to an external backup

I want to remove a 3.5 inch internal hard drive from a problematic (dying) desktop and use it as an external backup for a different PC via a USB 2 connection. How do I prepare this hard drive for removal and re-use?

My (few) friends frequently tell me that I know only enough to be dangerous. You folks are apparently very knowledgeable individuals, and I would very much appreciate any assistance you can provide. Perhaps you could just point me in the right direction for reference material, tutorials, etc.

The hard drive in question is a 100GB Seagate ST3100011A (Barracuda 7200.7). According to Seagate's instructions on how to interpret their model numbers, the drive has a 2MB cache and an ATA (IDE?) interface.

I've found a fairly highly-rated external enclosure (Rosewill RX355-U) from a reputable retailer that seems to fit my needs, but I am open to any alternatives you might suggest.

I am completely ignorant as to what I need to do to the hard drive before removal from its sick host. Caches, partitions and the like are totally Greek to me.

I assume the Windows XP operating system installed on the drive will have to be removed at some point in the process, but there is data on the drive that I would like to preserve if possible. The PC for which the hard drive will serve as a backup is running Windows 7.

Frankie, Sep 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Can I close my laptop during a backup on Windows 10 to an external hard drive? - Similar Threads - close laptop during

2. External hard drive backup

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External hard drive backup: Hi everybody, I would like to back up an external hard drive. To this day at the end of the day I launch a backup program with which I save everything to another external hard drive. Due to a malfunction a few days ago I risked losing data both on the main hard disk and on...
  3. External hard drive backup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External hard drive backup: Hi everybody, I would like to back up an external hard drive. To this day at the end of the day I launch a backup program with which I save everything to another external hard drive. Due to a malfunction a few days ago I risked losing data both on the main hard disk and on...
  4. External hard drive backup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Backup OneDrive to External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Backup OneDrive to External Hard Drive: I am using Windows 10 with OneDrive. I am also using Seagate ToolKit with a Seagate external drive to back up my computer.I thought Seagate was backing up my files on OneDrive along with my computer. It's not. Specifically, the files in the OneDrive folder are not being...
  6. Creating a backup on an external hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Creating a backup on an external hard drive: Hello,I wanted to create a backup on an external hard drive Toshiba Canvio. When I connect the drive to the USB port tried all of the available ones in my laptop, I can see the files stored in the drive, save files to the drive and basically perform all the operations on the...
  7. External Hard Drive Backup Problem

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    External Hard Drive Backup Problem: I accidentally ejected my Western Digital "My Passport" backup. I unplugged from the USB port and plugged in again. My Passport now appears in Devices again. However when I go to Settings/Update/Backup the option to "Add a Drive" has vanished and when I click on More...
  8. backup to external hard drive

in Windows 10 Customization
    backup to external hard drive: The backup to external hard drive will not perform. All kinds of errors and it says it did not backup. What? Am I so stupid that I cannot tell it what drive to back up to? It wants to choose for me and then does not like it's choice. Where are the real settings so I can...
  9. Windows 10 Backup to 2 External Hard Drives

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Backup to 2 External Hard Drives: I would like to use the Windows 10 backup option to back my files up on two separate external hard drives to have multiple copies in case one drive fails. Windows only recognizes one external hard drive for system back up at a time. If I de-select drive 1, select drive 2...
  10. Can I store external hard drive backup in freezing garage?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Can I store external hard drive backup in freezing garage?: Weird question, but ..... I have a Samsung portable design 2.5 inch external hdd. I'm interested in keeping my Win 10 backup on it and away from the house, since it wouldn't be a good backup if it was burned in a house fire, etc. Will it destroy it to keep it in my car or...