Windows 10: Can I connect external drives to new computer with windows 10

Discus and support Can I connect external drives to new computer with windows 10 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I am new to Windows 10 (64bit) and need your guidance. I got some external drives (USB 2) two of them needed installation with CD which I got and one... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Ari94, Aug 16, 2018.

1. Ari94 Win User

Can I connect external drives to new computer with windows 10

I am new to Windows 10 (64bit) and need your guidance.

I got some external drives (USB 2) two of them needed installation with CD which I got and one can be connected directly. I have been using them on Windows Vista without any problem.
    As my important data is saved on external drives that is why asking this question.

Can I connect external drives to computer (Windows 10) or should I take any safe measure to avoid data loss?
    Any help in this regard will be appreciated.

Thank you

:)

Ari94, Aug 16, 2018

2. External drive

Hi Richard,

There are several factors that can cause your external drive to not read DVDs even though the system is recognizing the device. This could be caused by a driver that needs to updated or corrupted files. For us to resolve your concern, kindly answer the questions
    below:

• Just to confirm, the device that is not working properly is a external DVD optical drive?
    • Were there any recent changes or updates installed on your computer?
    • Have you tried to plug the external drive to a different port on your computer?

As a initial recommendation, we suggest that your run the built in troubleshooter in Windows 10. Kindly refer to the steps below:

• Type “Troubleshooting” in the Search bar and press Enter.
    • Click on “View All” in the top left corner.
    • This will display the list of troubleshooters which are built-in in the computer. You can click on
      Hardware and Devices from the list and you can run the troubleshooter.

This will check for common errors that affect hardware on your computer and attempts to correct them.

We look forward to your response after completing the steps.

Jordan Dom, Aug 16, 2018
  3. Marco Gav Win User
    unrecognised external hard drive on Windows 10

Since you already reinstalled the drivers of the External Hard Drive, let's run the
    Hardware and Devices troubleshooter as it can resolve your concern. You can do that by following these steps:

• Press the Start button.

• Type and select Troubleshooting.

• Click on View all on the left panel.

• Select and run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter.

If the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter doesn’t resolve your concern, we suggest that you change the letter of the External Hard Drive. You can do that by following these steps:

• Press the Start button.

• Type and select Control panel.

• Select System and Security.

• Select Administrative Tools, and a new window will appear.

• Double-click Computer Management, and a new window will appear.

• Select Disk Management that is located under
      Storage
      in the left pane.

• Right click on the External Hard Drive that is not showing on the File Explorer.

• Select Change letter and network path, and a new window will appear.

• Select Change, and choose the letter that you want for the External Hard Drive.

After changing the letter of the External Hard Drive, we suggest that you reboot your laptop for the changes to take effect.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Marco Gav, Aug 16, 2018
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Aug 16, 2018
Thema:

1. Can I connect external drives to new computer with windows 10 - Similar Threads - connect external drives

2. How can I move OneDrive to external Drive connected to Router?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I move OneDrive to external Drive connected to Router?: Hello I have a Dell XPS8920 running Windows 10 Home, version 22H2I am running out of space on the computer.I bought a 14TB WD EasyStore external drive and connected to my router for storage space.I am trying to move my OneDrive to the external drive.It will not let me move...
  3. How can I move OneDrive to external Drive connected to Router?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How can I move OneDrive to external Drive connected to Router?: Hello I have a Dell XPS8920 running Windows 10 Home, version 22H2I am running out of space on the computer.I bought a 14TB WD EasyStore external drive and connected to my router for storage space.I am trying to move my OneDrive to the external drive.It will not let me move...
  4. How can I move OneDrive to external Drive connected to Router?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Unable to connect to external drive with new PC

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Unable to connect to external drive with new PC: Connected external hitachi drive to new windows 10 PC, Disk Management indicates Disk 1 Unknown Not Initialized. External hard drive functions correctly on my old windows 10 PC. Able to use thumb drive on new PC. tried to initial drive, received following error: The request...
  6. Connecting external hard drive to windows 10

Connecting external hard drive to windows 10: I have purchased an external hard drive and connected it to my Windows 10 laptop but it does not appear anywhere on the computer. Not in file manager, not in device manager, nowhere. I have tried everything. I have deleted and reinstalled drivers, I have updated drivers, I...
  7. Can i run windows 10 on an external drive?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can i run windows 10 on an external drive?: I’m trying to find out if its possible to boot windows 10 from an external drive on a laptop that has windows 10 already installed on an internal drive? Basically, my laptop has windows 10. But i installed windows 10 on an external drive so i can use it on my MacBook....
  8. Windows 10 I can't connect my new WD external hard drive

Windows 10 I can't connect my new WD external hard drive: With Windows 10 I can't connect my new WD external hard drive. I get error message: location is not available . https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-i-cant-connect-my-new-wd-external-hard/bed61223-3f10-442a-a252-5dfc757dea1f
  9. External hard drive and new computer issues

External hard drive and new computer issues: I just got a new laptop and some of the programs claim they need to be reinstalled due to registration issues while others give me a "Windows can't access the specified drive, file, or path" message. It makes no sense because the whole point of an extremal hard drive is to...
  10. Can I connect external drives to new computer with windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Can I connect external drives to new computer with windows 10: I am new to Windows 10 (64bit) and need your guidance. I got some external drives (USB 2) two of them needed installation with CD which I got and one can be connected directly. I have been using them on Windows Vista without any problem. As my important data is saved on...