Windows 10: Can I delete the recovery partition?

Discus and support Can I delete the recovery partition? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; After the update to version 1511 build 10586 Windows has created a 450 Mb recovery partition on my SSD drive. I have already deleted the created... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ReneM, Nov 23, 2015.

1. ReneM Win User

Can I delete the recovery partition?

After the update to version 1511 build 10586 Windows has created a 450 Mb recovery partition on my SSD drive.

I have already deleted the created Windows_OLD folder as well as the hidden folder with update files.

Can I seamlessly and without risk also delete the recovery partition?

Thanks in advance.

René

:)

ReneM, Nov 23, 2015

2. Can I delete the recovery partition created as a result of upgrading to Windows 10?

Hi,

Sorry for the delay.

Recovery partition is the partition provide by your system manufactures to repair your computer. In case of your computer has boot problems.

I suggest you to not touch the partition.

Thank You.

Uttam Yadav, Nov 23, 2015
  3. PB1234 Win User
    Can I delete the recovery partition created as a result of upgrading to Windows 10?

Hi,

I upgraded 3 laptops in my household to Windows 10. I noticed that on two of them (Helix 1st Gen and Yoga 2 11) a new recovery partition of about 500MB was created after the C drive (OS drive) as a result of the upgrade. It wasn't created on my 3rd laptop.
    I'm wondering what's the function of this partition and if I can safely delete it.

As I read
    here
    that Windows 10 no longer uses recovery partition:

The picture below shows the partition table of the Lenovo Helix: 5 is the new partition created after the upgrade, while 7 is one that came with the laptop.

Can I delete the recovery partition? [​IMG]

Here is a picture for Yoga 2 11: in this case 6 is the partition created after Windows 10 upgrade.

Any input would be much appreciated. Thank you!

PB1234, Nov 23, 2015
  4. BunnyJ New Member

I wouldn't.. if you do you will not be able to boot your PC.

BunnyJ, Nov 23, 2015
  5. topgundcp Win User
    Sorry but it's Incorrect. The PC still boot except you cannot create the recovery disk or get into Recovery Environment for trouble shooting.

@OP
    The space taken by the Recovery Partition is small so I would advise to leave it alone.

topgundcp, Nov 23, 2015
  6. BunnyJ New Member
    Thanks for the information.

BunnyJ, Nov 23, 2015
  7. Edwin New Member
    A 'Clean Install' will take care of that Recovery Partition but, then you would have to create your own Recovery Media; then again, you just clean installed so, you essentially have Recovery Media in hand! *Smile

Edwin, Nov 23, 2015
  8. ReneM Win User

I'm a little confused now.

Have just seen on my other computer that there are created two recovery partitions on each 450 Mb and it has even not yet updated to version 1511.

I make weekly system build (image) of my Windows drive with Macrium Reflect.

Is it really necessary with all these extra partitions which apparently growing in number as time goes by?

Cheers
    René

ReneM, Nov 23, 2015
  9. dvdlock Win User
    Sorry to Hijack,

How would I deal with this:

Thanks

dvdlock, Nov 23, 2015
  10. That's a protected partition . You could probably use a DISKPART elevated CMD though to access the DISKPART tool .

http://www.winability.com/delete-pro...isk-partition/

OTOH An Linux Ubuntu live boot Disk or USB > Drive tools should handle it easy .

ofc it's only half a GB on a TB hdd hardly worth the effort though

blutos cousin, Nov 23, 2015
  11. My recovery media is the OS on a USB drive and I always delete that partition.

cyberrufus, Nov 23, 2015
  12. NavyLCDR New Member
    Incorrect. A clean install will create it's own recovery partition.

Exactly. A Windows 10 installation USB/DVD will do everything the standard Windows 10 created recovery partition will.

In post #7, the first partition on the disk is NOT a recovery partition. It is an EFI System Partition. BIG difference! Delete that partition and the system will stop booting until it is fixed. The 4 remaining recovery partitions can be deleted but the user will lose the ability to boot into the advance troubleshooting menu and reload the original factory software. A Windows 10 Install USB/DVD will do everything in the advanced troubleshooting menu, but still won't be able to load the original factory software. The only original factory software that I keep a copy of is Windows with Bing - because ISO's for that are impossible to find. But those images are kept as Macrium Reflect Images on external storage, not recovery partitions.

NavyLCDR, Nov 23, 2015
  13. Atomic77 Win User

PARTITION is there so in case something got messed up you can recover. If I were you don't delete it.

Atomic77, Nov 23, 2015
  14. NavyLCDR New Member
    Of course the recovery partition just happens to reside on the part of the computer most likely to fail first - it is certainly not a replacement for good backups.

NavyLCDR, Nov 23, 2015
  15. dvdlock Win User
    Thank everyone.
    On a learning curve here.
    I am about to clone to a mSATA SSD and format this drive. Should I delete those 4 healthy partitions and just leave the EFI before cloning ? Not sure the partitions matter in this case.
    Thanks again.

dvdlock, Nov 23, 2015
Thema:

1. Can I delete the recovery partition? - Similar Threads - delete recovery partition

2. KB5034441: can I delete both recovery partitions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    KB5034441: can I delete both recovery partitions: KB5034441: this update prevents security updates, when will it be fixed?If never, I have deleted 1 of 2 recovery partitions, if I delete the second, will my PC still boot ok? will this remove WinRE?...
  3. KB5034441: can I delete both recovery partitions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    KB5034441: can I delete both recovery partitions: KB5034441: this update prevents security updates, when will it be fixed?If never, I have deleted 1 of 2 recovery partitions, if I delete the second, will my PC still boot ok? will this remove WinRE?...
  4. KB5034441: can I delete both recovery partitions

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Can I delete this partition?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can I delete this partition?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/phan2kx [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/fu5bw3/can_i_delete_this_partition/
  6. Can I Delete These 2 Recovery Partitions?

Can I Delete These 2 Recovery Partitions?: I upgraded to 1903 about 2 weeks ago (6/17) and I've notice that I now have two recovery partitions. [img] Neither of them is enabled. [img] There is a Recovery folder on "C" but its empty. [img] One of the recovery partitions was created on the day of the upgrade and...
  7. delete recovery partition

delete recovery partition: delete recovery partition https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/delete-recovery-partition/14446a8a-df85-41a2-b0aa-05686c1185d6
  8. Can I Delete This Partition

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Can I Delete This Partition: I'm planning to tidy up the partitions on my desktop PC UEFI system disk. See the disk map below from Partition Wizard. I want to delete the old unused 300GB recovery partition at the start of the drive, move the FAT32 system partition to the start of the drive and extend the...
  9. Deleted Recovery Partition

in Windows 10 Support
    Deleted Recovery Partition: I have an HP laptop that shipped with Windows 8.1. I upgraded to Windows 10 weeks ago and tonight I accidentally reformatted my D: drive recovery partition. I have recovery media on a USB pen drive that I made back when I first set up my computer. Has Windows 10 changed...
  10. After Upgrade Which Recovery Partition Can I delete?

After Upgrade Which Recovery Partition Can I delete?: I recently did an upgrade install on Windows 10. Now I have two recovery partitions. I am not sure which one I can safely delete to free up disc space. Previous to the upgrade there was just one recovery partition called recovery about 450 Mbt. Now there are two recovery...