Windows 10: Can I do a clean install now and keep my license ?

Discus and support Can I do a clean install now and keep my license ? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Just as the title says. (It's a 'preview' license) 15415 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Marron, Aug 10, 2015.

1. Marron Win User

Can I do a clean install now and keep my license ?

Just as the title says.
    (It's a 'preview' license)

:)

Marron, Aug 10, 2015

2. Can I do a clean install now before windows 10?

So I did the free upgrade to windows 10, I have the gadget on my computer waiting for july 29th. Problem is I need to upgrade my motherboard which requires a new install of the OS. So my question is this, since the gadget took my information can I do a clean
    install of windows 7 using my key?? Or will it say it is no longer valid? If it works can I then still upgrade to windows 10?

Thanks,

James

Wolfenacht, Aug 10, 2015
  3. Can I do a clean install now before windows 10?

Yes, you can. Is the Windows 7 license OEM or Retail store bought? Just make sure Windows 7 is reactivated.

If the Reservation application (Windows 10 app) has a blank screen or does not work or is not available:

Please be aware even if you do not get the Windows 10 app, you can still download Windows 10 as a .ISO file, create a bootable copy and upgrade your system.

How
    to: upgrade from previous versions of Windows using Windows 10 ISO file

Backup your computer:

When making significant changes to your computer such as updating the operating system, you should always backup. See links to resources about backing up by clicking the link for the respective version of Windows you are running:
    Windows XP,
    Windows Vista,
    Windows 7,
    Windows 8/8.1

Also review:

How
    to manually backup and restore your files

How to: 10 Tips before installing the latest Windows 10 build

How to: 10 things to do if Windows 10 Setup fails.

Once you have installed these important updates and followed the prerequisite instructions, you should be ready to receive your
    free update to Windows 10 this summer.

Andre Da Costa, Aug 10, 2015
  4. Can I do a clean install now and keep my license ?

Have you first upgraded from a legitimate Windows 7 / 8 license? If so, you can. If not, you need to do that first before Microsoft's servers will recognize your PC as being authorized for Windows 10.

Delicieuxz, Aug 10, 2015
  5. Kyhi Win User
    If it is preview 10240 and it has been activated on that PC..
    You can Clean Install and when asked for Key - just choose Skip

6. Kyhi Win User
    If you had an activated preview release 10240 - Your PC has already seen an activated Windows 10 Pro version

7. NavyLCDR New Member
    However, the preview key resulted in a license that expired in Jan 2016. Not sure if that was a hard date or a date that was a certain length of time from the date of install.

Running slmgr /xpr in an elevated command prompt will tell you the license expiration date - or permanently activated.

NavyLCDR, Aug 10, 2015
  8. Kyhi Win User

Attachment 30589

Yes, my info is correct, if you have an activated Preview Release 10240. MS gave you the Activation of Windows 10.

9. NavyLCDR New Member
    I think so too, but it does no harm to verify with slmgr /xpr

NavyLCDR, Aug 10, 2015
  10. Marron Win User
    I run Windows10 since February, and only did updates so far, but in that time I installed and uninstalled a lot of software, as my SSD is small and can't have them all, so I feel like I want to do a clean install. Now my question is how will I keep my activated license ?

Marron, Aug 11, 2015
  11. WhyMe Win User
    Open command prompt (admin) and use the "slmgr /xpr" as stated by NavyLCDR post below

If your the Windows script shows the dialog saying your machine is permanently activated then you are good to go. It'll be similar to script shown by Kyhi below:

WhyMe, Aug 11, 2015
  12. Marron Win User

Marron, Aug 11, 2015
  13. Kyhi Win User

Yes you can completely wipe the drive and all partitions
    Clean install windows 10
    when asked for product key - just Skip - do not enter any product keys..
    the activation for your PC has already been recorded on the MS server

14. Marron Win User
    That doesn't really make sense. How can they recognise my PC if it is just like a new one (HDD wiped) ?

Marron, Aug 11, 2015
  15. Kyhi Win User
    By the PC Hardware and product ID

Thema:

1. Can I do a clean install now and keep my license ? - Similar Threads - clean install keep

2. Can I Clean Install Windows 10 Using Digital License.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Can I Clean Install Windows 10 Using Digital License.: Hi all,I have W10 20H2 but having major trouble with it. I am seriously considering a format and clean install but am worried because I qualified for the upgrade from W7 OEM and it loaded on top. I have done a reset due to trouble which has not helped.My windows license is...
  3. How do I keep my PC clean?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How do I keep my PC clean?: I just reinstalled Windows 10 and I am as old as dirt. So, I really would not like to have to do that again until I am 80 years old. How can I keep my PC clean without damaging it? I use disc cleanup, which is fine, but is that enough? I had been using CCleaner, but my...
  4. Installing Windows on new Hard drive-Do I keep my license?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Installing Windows on new Hard drive-Do I keep my license?: Hi My hard drive failed and I was wondering if I install a new drive and load fresh Windows, do I keep my license? At present I use a digital license. Also I'm NOT changing the motherboard. I have no recovery disc or anything, it would be a clean, fresh install. Thank...
  5. Digital License on clean install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Digital License on clean install: I purchased W7 "upgrade from Vista" CD years ago, and then upgraded to 10 no problem when it came out. I have actually formatted since then but don't really remember how I activated it, if I used the W7 product key or what. This was all on one machine. Now that machine is...
  6. Clean installs and licensing

Clean installs and licensing: Im about to do a clean install of windows 10 as a last resort to possible clear up some issues i have been having are there any percautions i need to take? ill be using a product key from windows 7 pro 36226
  7. Win 10 Update OK. Now can I clean install?

Win 10 Update OK. Now can I clean install?: Hello. As the title says. I have successfully updated my PC from Win 8.1 Pro 64bit to Win 10 Pro 64bit and managed to activate it. I have downloaded the ISO via Media Builder. Now I have upgraded AND activated, can I do a clean install? I.E. Format my HDD and install from...
  8. Reserved and Upgraded from W8.1, can I Clean install now?

Reserved and Upgraded from W8.1, can I Clean install now?: Hi I have Windows 10 now, Reservation and Upgrading ran smoothly, I want to clean install now formatting HDD, Will it ask me for a product key, or will the fresh Windows 10 be activated even after formatting with no key, have anyone tried this? Thanks! 9680
  9. Clean install now?

Clean install now?: My system (W7 64) is badly in need of a clean install but I was waiting until next month to do it with W10. However, it is quickly becoming unusable so I am wondering about doing it immediately - with the preview (I already use preview W10 on my laptop). However, the FAQ...
  10. should i now clean install

should i now clean install: evening guys, question for you all am using 10240 as an insider should I now do a clean install or just leave it running as it is , only with all the downloads and updates since day 1 i,ve accumulated 86gb used on my hard drive out of 234gb if so what product key do I use...