Windows 10: Can I do a clean install of Win8.1 after upgrading to Win10?

Discus and support Can I do a clean install of Win8.1 after upgrading to Win10? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; A year ago I bought a Lenovo Yoga 2 that came with Windows 8. Unfortunately, I upgraded to Windows 10 several months ago. It has been such a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Elaine98, Mar 5, 2016.

1. Elaine98 Win User

Can I do a clean install of Win8.1 after upgrading to Win10?

A year ago I bought a Lenovo Yoga 2 that came with Windows 8.

Unfortunately, I upgraded to Windows 10 several months ago. It has been such a nightmare I want Windows 8 back.
    Can I just buy a new copy of Windows 8.1 and clean install it on my laptop? Someone told me once its been upgraded to Windows 10 that I can't do that, but that just doesn't seem right.

I'm not very savvy when it comes to doing a reinstall. I'm not sure what to buy and I want to make sure trying this won't brick my computer. OEM, Full, etc seems like there is so many things to consider when trying to buy just a regular old version of Windows 8.1.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

:)

Elaine98, Mar 5, 2016
  2. Andre Da Costa, Mar 5, 2016
  3. Can I do a clean install of Win8.1 after upgrading to Win10?

A year ago I bought a Lenovo Yoga 2 that came with Windows 8.

Unfortunately, I upgraded to Windows 10 several months ago. It has been such a nightmare I want Windows 8 back.

Can I just buy a new copy of Windows 8.1 and clean install it on my laptop? Someone told me once its been upgraded to Windows 10 that I can't do that, but that just doesn't seem right.

I'm not very savvy when it comes to doing a reinstall. I'm not sure what to buy and I want to make sure trying this won't brick my computer. OEM, Full, etc seems like there is so many things to consider when trying to buy just a regular old version of Windows

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Elaine0908, Mar 5, 2016
  4. WHS
    whs Win User

Check whether you have a recovery partition. You could reset to 8.1 from there without any problems with the key, etc. You have a legal 8.1 system. No need to buy an 8.1 key.

5. NavyLCDR New Member
    Run showkeyplus from this forum:
    Showkey - Windows 10 Forums

If it shows an OEM key and OEM version - that is the WIndows 8 product key stored in bios. As long as the edition is not "Core Connected" which means Windows 8 with Bing, then you can download Windows 8 here:
    Windows 8

When you install it, it will read the product key stored in bios.

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Can I do a clean install of Win8.1 after upgrading to Win10? - Similar Threads - clean install Win8

2. Is Win8 upgraded to WIn10 free ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is Win8 upgraded to WIn10 free ?: Same as the question. 1 Do I need a new Win10 product key ? 2 Do I need to enter the old Win8 product key ? I don't know my Win8 key as it was bought many years ago. Thank you for answering....
  3. Is Win8 upgraded to WIn10 free ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is Win8 upgraded to WIn10 free ?: Same as the question. 1 Do I need a new Win10 product key ? 2 Do I need to enter the old Win8 product key ? I don't know my Win8 key as it was bought many years ago. Thank you for answering....
  4. How can I restore a Win10 laptop which is upgraded from Win8

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I restore a Win10 laptop which is upgraded from Win8: Hi,I have a ASUS ROG laptop which is old but still working.It had Windows 8 as initial OS, then I upgraded it to Windows 10 with Microsoft free upgrade promotion.Yesterday I want to reset it. And it took whole night and stuck somewhere.Now I try to reinstall a windows 10.But...
  5. How can I restore a Win10 laptop which is upgraded from Win8

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I restore a Win10 laptop which is upgraded from Win8: Hi,I have a ASUS ROG laptop which is old but still working.It had Windows 8 as initial OS, then I upgraded it to Windows 10 with Microsoft free upgrade promotion.Yesterday I want to reset it. And it took whole night and stuck somewhere.Now I try to reinstall a windows 10.But...
  6. How can I restore a Win10 laptop which is upgraded from Win8

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Devices no longer appear on "This PC" after upgrading Win8 to Win10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Devices no longer appear on "This PC" after upgrading Win8 to Win10: My external hard disks , and one MP3 player (all USB devices) are no longer recognized, nor appear on "This PC", after I upgraded my Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 OS. Other devices, such as my Android phone USB connection still works well. I made sure that the "Automatic download...
  8. Can I Clean Install Win10 If I Upgraded from 7?

Can I Clean Install Win10 If I Upgraded from 7?: I was one that was able to upgrade for free from Windows 7. Everything had worked just fine, yet my computer never ran nearly as good after the 1607 update, despite fixes. With my upgrade, am I able to Clean Install without having to install Windows 7 first then upgrade to...
  9. Downgrading to Win8 then upgrading to Win10 again questions

Downgrading to Win8 then upgrading to Win10 again questions: Hi, I'm currently having a weird activation problem with Windows 10, and I was considering reverting to Windows 8 and start the process again to see if that would fix things. I tried to use the 'revert to previous build' but it said it couldn't locate the required files or...
  10. Hmm... Overall I think Win8(.1 update 1) is better than Win10.

in Windows 10 Support
    Hmm... Overall I think Win8(.1 update 1) is better than Win10.: "Reset This PC" Confusion Firstly it seems MS have gotten-rid of the 'Refresh This PC' terminology to describe the distinction between keeping files but keeping settings/apps intact, or removing both files and apps/settings (the old Reset This PC). After you make this first...