Windows 10: Can I download Windows 10 and save it to install at a later date?

Discus and support Can I download Windows 10 and save it to install at a later date? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I am reluctant to give up my Windows 7professional and install Windows 10 and yet I fear that upgrade support for my current OS will eventually end. Is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by pjb346, Jul 28, 2016.

1. pjb346 Win User

Can I download Windows 10 and save it to install at a later date?

I am reluctant to give up my Windows 7professional and install Windows 10 and yet I fear that upgrade support for my current OS will eventually end. Is it possible to download and save Windows 10 and then install it next month or next year? I probably waited too long to ask this, but if an answer is available I will be grateful. Thank you for the answer.
    *Doh

:)

pjb346, Jul 28, 2016
  2. suat.cini Win User

Can I save the Windows 10 download and install at anytime?

I am sorry for my incomplete reply.

You have one full year to install and activate Windows 10. The deadline is 29 July 2016. After that you are not eligible to install the free upgrade. You have to buy a licence even if you have the installation files on your computer. You will not be able
    to activate your free offer after 29 July 2016 unless you enter a product key, which you will have to buy.

I hope this clarifies your query.

suat.cini, Jul 28, 2016
  3. MDR094 Win User
    Can I save the Windows 10 download and install at anytime?

Does the windows 10 download function like other exe files? If I download the upgrade and save to my hard drive can I find the files in the download folder and install at anytime, even 6 months or a year after the download or is there a window within which
    the downloaded Windows 10 files must be installed?

MDR094, Jul 28, 2016
  4. Kari Win User

Windows 10 must be installed and activated before the deadline, Friday 29th (for me it's today!). If installed later you have to pay for license.

5. pjb346 Win User
    That is the answer I expected, but I had my fingers crossed. I guess I have to decide in the next 24 hours.

Thank you for the prompt reply

pjb346, Jul 28, 2016
  6. Kari Win User
    This is speculation but most of us geeks deeply involved in Windows think that this scenario works:

Windows 10 activation is called digital entitlement. Whenever later on you have to reinstall from scratch, clean install, you will not need any product key; Windows activation servers recognize the hardware signature and as long as hardware has not changed, it will be automatically activated.

Therefore, according to everything MS has told us, this works:

Notice that we will only know for 100% sure if this really works starting from Saturday when first geeks try this.

7. Gort Win User
    You could download a backup imaging software like Macrium Reflect Free, image your Windows 7 installation with that, then after doing that upgrade it to Windows 10. That'll activate it for you. Then you can just restore your Windows 7 from the backup you made, and you'll be back to where you were and entitled to upgrade to Windows 10 at a future date.

Gort, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Can I download Windows 10 and save it to install at a later date? - Similar Threads - download save install

2. Windows 10 Mail: how can I download and save attachments?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Mail: how can I download and save attachments?: Windows 10 Mail: I can open attachments but cannot figure out how to save them to my downloads folder. For example, if someone sends me a pdf I can click to open it and it pops up in Bing ! or Adobe Reader, but I don't see an option to save it from either of those places. On...
  3. Windows 10 Mail: how can I download and save attachments?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Mail: how can I download and save attachments?: Windows 10 Mail: I can open attachments but cannot figure out how to save them to my downloads folder. For example, if someone sends me a pdf I can click to open it and it pops up in Bing ! or Adobe Reader, but I don't see an option to save it from either of those places. On...
  4. Date saved

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Date saved: I am trying to move some of my old files to a more recent drive. I cannot find any way to save the dates of the old files in the more recent drive. So far, the only way I can save the old dates is to use Microsoft 8.1. Help!...
  5. Date saved

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Date saved: I am trying to move some of my old files to a more recent drive. I cannot find any way to save the dates of the old files in the more recent drive. So far, the only way I can save the old dates is to use Microsoft 8.1. Help!...
  6. Date saved

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. restore to a later date

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    restore to a later date: restored to earlier rstr point by mistake ca I get back to previous date like 2/25/21 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/restore-to-a-later-date/f42d606c-b940-4bd1-9094-e07c5da3bf24
  8. Downloading pictures wont save in folder by date

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Downloading pictures wont save in folder by date: I'm not sure what happened but usually I can download pics from sd card and they go to a folder with the date. Now each pic is saved individually. How can I get it back to the way it was before....
  9. Can is "save" a (multi-window) Windows Explorer setup for later?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can is "save" a (multi-window) Windows Explorer setup for later?: screenshot: https://i.postimg.cc/54mV1XbM/Annotation-2020-03-25-112804.png I've been meaning to figure this out as i was figuring there might be some someone on here that has a clever idea of how i could get around to doing this (or at least making it easier) Basically i'd...
  10. Need a Windows 10 Installation download that is up-to-date

in Windows 10 Support
    Need a Windows 10 Installation download that is up-to-date: I want to perform a repair install and am looking for a site where I can download an up-to-date version of Windows 10. Can anyone help? 86150